Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused on what year my bike is. The frame and engine are stamped RD04 and RD04E. The dealership I bought some service parts from told me it was a 93 when I gave him the VIN number off the frame. How do you tell what year it really is. I bought the bike here in China with no title so I have no documents to tell me. Was told by the seller it was a 98 but parts for 98 didn't fit ie; air filter and front brake pads. 93 parts did. Not sure but this bike seems to be a compilation of sevral different machines. Has all black paint scheme well done but appears to be on top of the original red white and blue, had blue seat which has now been fitted with a custom sewn black one made here and quite well, had the gold rims which have been painted gray, Rectifier had been adapted with different connectors, different turn signals etc...

·
where next?
508 Posts
The frame number on a 98 bike would start RD07A (though the engine number still begins with RD04). A quick look in the wiki section shows the RD04 model was produced from 1990-93 so it looks like the dealer was probably correct in saying it is a 93 model. Post a pic or two for a definitive answer.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
post a pic as it is easy to tell an RD04 from and RD07 just by looking.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Sounds like an RD04 to me.

Does the fuel tank have two separate taps each side of the tank, or one large plastic tap?

Was the frame originally white (RD04) or silver (RD07)?

I've no idea if the AT was official in China (but I doubt it) so I'm guessing your bike may have crept as salvage, parts etc, then have been cobbled together ith whatever was available.

So is your location CHINA or U.S (as stated)???????????

What would be interesting to know is what parts you or bike dealers have sourced in China that fit an AT, as obviously they could be a lot cheaper than OE parts, and Chinese quality is much better than it used to be.

Cheers

Bob :thumbup:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My perminent residence is in the US on the east coast in Maryland. Have a few friends here from your neck of the woods. Airbus guys.
Have not been able to buy much here just some small things: Speedo cable and housing complete for 10 RMB = about $1.47 USD installed, mirrors, signal assemblies 25 RMB = $3.68 USD not installed, monster air horns 60 RMB = $8.83 USD installed, custom hand sewn seat cover very well done 40 RMB = $5.89 USD installed including the hold down strap, Found Sach's oil which puts Mobile 1 to shame. Refilled with the Sach's with new filter after running Mobile and picked up 1.2 miles to gal and had to lower the idle about 150 rpms. Not been able to fing much in the way of high tech parts as the language barrier presents a bit of a problem. Took me a year to get a CDI unit from a not so trust worhty supplier if you get my drift. Cash up front nio questions asked kinda deal and the Rec/Reg fried it in 2 days. Just happened and man was I bent. Discovered the burned connector again and soldered it out of the loop but now left without a CDI again and having to ride the Zhongshen piece of sh-t. Need to know the year so I can buy a replacement CDI.

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
That is an RD04 with an RD07 front end!

Most parts will be RD04 (1993) but some front end parts will be RD07 (1994 - 2003) like brake pads and wheel bearings!

Hope it helps!

By the way, she's quite a looker!

:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
That Sir, is an RD04 that's been painted to look like an RD07 !

The giveaway will always be the frame. Although yours seems to have been painted silver, check out the pics in the tech section and notice the shape of the frame behind the engine.

I do actually have a spare RD04 CDI, that I DO NOT really want to sell, as it's my spare for long journeys (Morocco last year, Spain and HUMM this year) but if there's nothing else available to you out there (and there's nothing on eBay at the moment either), we could work out a deal. As long as I got enough money out of it, so I could replace it once one became available on eBay, I'd part with it. I guess you'll need it posted to China as well?

PM me your details, and I'll try and work out a price.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
That is an RD04 with an RD07 front end!

Most parts will be RD04 (1993) but some front end parts will be RD07 (1994 - 2003) like brake pads and wheel bearings!

Hope it helps!

By the way, she's quite a looker!

:thumbup:

DEFINITELY an RD04 all over, including the front end. Check the shape of the screen.

The RD04 never came in black (well that kind of black) so I think at first glance it can appear to have RD07 panels, but they are certainly not.

Bob :thumbright:

·
Registered
57 Posts
RD04,.......pity about the silver wheels....
But actually looks pretty good like that.. :) Except for the mirrors that is..hahhaha

Does it have the tripcomputer over the clocks? If it does it is 1992 and if it does not it is older. 1993 already had the rd07. Later 1992 RD04 has a different regulator then the earlier ones so check the partnumber on your current cdi to be sure you get the correct one cause not all RD04's have the same parts.

The serial number should give you a year. Post the number and someone with a haynes manual can check it for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts