Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having flat battery problems. whats the best Optimate charger? there are a number of different models

(the bike lives outside the house so i can't leave it on charge all the time)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea what model ctec? they do a variety

the problem with my existing charger is when the battery is completely dead (ie reading 2 volts) it wont revive it.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I was under the impression the optimate type chargers are only used to keep the battery topped up and are connected all the time to the bike when it is parked up rather than charging the battery from a discharged condition is this correct or can they handle the load drawn by a discharged battery

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have a couple of cheap as chops Aldi chargers that do 6v as well as 12v. They seem to perform as well as my CTECs.
If I have a battery that won't play ball I give it 10 minutes on an old transformer charger. I then introduce it to the Aldi or CTEC an usually get good results.
I am always faffing with batteries. Some kit (plant) I have is only used for short period as and lays idle for sometimes quite a while so batteries suffer. This tactic works on them (mostly).

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
any idea what model ctec? they do a variety

the problem with my existing charger is when the battery is completely dead (ie reading 2 volts) it wont revive it.
It's a ctec 5.0 as I recall. I needed something with capacity for my van.
I'm not sure how it woukd cope with a fully discharged battery (which in all fairness will be all but knackered anyway!) But it has a 'recon' function that allegedly helps restore discharged batteries

·
Registered
897 Posts
I recently got a c- tech XS 0.8 spot on for bike batteries, if I remember rightly its suitable for charging up to 100 amp hr. but will obviously take longer than a bigger charger.

It will recover batteries from a very low state of voltage/charge, just recovered a car battery with it which was first put on a Aldi charger which simply stated error because the voltage was too low.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ive an optimate 4 and it can be used to deep charge a dead battery or just monitor your battery over months or years i think its excellent,i recently for my birthday got a subscription of practical sports bike and with it came a free a oxford oxcimsor 900 which ive charged my daughters car battery up with,its not bad but i much prefer the optimate 4 as it has a longer lead and is better made.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was under the impression the optimate type chargers are only used to keep the battery topped up and are connected all the time to the bike when it is parked up rather than charging the battery from a discharged condition is this correct or can they handle the load drawn by a discharged battery
The optimate 4 can charge from flat as a fart or moniter,when you connect them to your battery regardless of there charge they run the battery through a set of tests,then charge it to the correct level and maintain it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use a ctek 3.6 and leave it on al the time and also have one on the car,the car is under a cover and the good thing with the ctek as opposed to the Aldi/Lidl charges is that if there is a power cut etc the ctek will start back up on the original setting it was last on which the ALdi/Lidl ones won't as they just sit on standby.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have a couple of cheap as chops Aldi chargers that do 6v as well as 12v. They seem to perform as well as my CTECs.
If I have a battery that won't play ball I give it 10 minutes on an old transformer charger. I then introduce it to the Aldi or CTEC an usually get good results.
I am always faffing with batteries. Some kit (plant) I have is only used for short period as and lays idle for sometimes quite a while so batteries suffer. This tactic works on them (mostly).
Putting a dead BIG battery on an old type charger will probably be ok but on a small bike battery it would most likely damage it.
Sure I read somewhere no bike battery should be charged at no more than 0.8 amp. Suppose there are exceptions one being the BMW airhead batteries which are like a small car battery at 30 amp hr

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use an optimate 3+, works well, good build quality and I can use the lead that is permanently attached to the battery to plug accessories into like my phone charger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Honda branded Optimate3+ charger and also the cheap alternative from Lidl. The Lidl charger is not bad, however it can not charge a really flat/dead battery. As it starts to charge it, it reaches a point where it struggles to decide if this is a 6V or 12V battery and for safety reasons it always decides to charge the battery as a 6V one. The Optimate 3+ on the other hand does not have this issue and charges it up as 12V battery. The only advantage to the Lidl charger is that it is faster. The Optimate3+ delivers only 0.8 Amps of charge where the Lidl charger gives up to 3.8 Amps.

P.S.
I qute those figures from memory and I might be wrong.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another option to look at, as you mentioned the bike lives outside would be a mini solar charger.

I've seen them on eBay for not a lot of £££

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lidl charger does 12 & 6 volts, useful if you run old iron (my A7 & CT90), optimate & Oxford only do 12v (at least when I brought them).
For the moderns I fit a fused Tamiya connector to the battery so it is accessible behind the side panels. Then I can plug in the Optimate/Lidl/whatever charger in the garage or the connector to my USB supply for my GPS when riding.
Most of the moden chargers need 7 ish volts to start. I get them to charge a very flat battery by charging them with an old type charger for a while then swopping the leads (quickly) to the modern type which will then 'see' 9-10 volts and be happy to start it checking/charging sequence. Do not have both chargers connected at the same time!
Re solar charger I had problems with a modern car not starting once the battery voltage was less than 12.7 volts. As the car could be left for some weeks inused it would often fall below that voltage. I brought a folding solar panel from Maplins and connected up to the battery and left the panel open on the dash. No problems with starting then. The panel is also useful for camping to charge an old (working) loose battery during the day to run a light during the evening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got an Optimate 4 free with a Classic Bike subscription which I thought was a good deal and it's a good charger. However I have had a problem with this charger and with a previous Optimate in that the connecting link which allows you to fit either crocodile ends or connect a link permanently to the battery is a bit frail and when you fall over the cable or tread heavily on the connector it doesn't work so well after that... So you have to bit less clumsy than me. Lidl chargers are cheap and work well, and do 6 volt too. Cheers, Ponty.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts