Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
open to offers
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was bound to happen. You just can’t commute 50 miles a day through stationary London traffic on a ¼ tonne motorcycle and expect everybody to respect the difficulties of piloting solo.
When my bike got shunted from behind by an abusive and aggressive mini cab driver in three lanes of solid Earls Court traffic, I knew at the very least I was lucky to not sustain any broken bones. I was a little bit miffed to say the least, especially as my bike was only four weeks out of the spray booth, and the sound of snapping plastic and the feeling of being lifted off the tarmac is not a pleasant experience. Being dragged backwards with the rear wheel off the ground by the car that had just rammed me was worse. As I said, bound to happen.
But that’s why we pay extortionate insurance premiums to protect our toys. One call to my insurance company will get all this mess cleared up. A clear case of negligence to spot a stationary large adventure motorcycle from the third party. Or so I thought…

The telephone call to Motorcycle Direct didn’t go exactly to plan.

“I’m sorry sir, it looks to my screen that you are not insured….”

So what do you do now? You know that for the past nine years you have had the same policy, you know you have taxed your toy and taken it across the water several times to sunny Europe, but the insurance broker says you are not insured?
I did the only thing that made sense. I fired up the big spotlight, pointed it at the sky and marvelled at the magnificence of the shape of the Bat reflected on the clouds.

Enter Chris Wheal. The-Zebra.com has arrived.

After a brief explanation of the facts, and what my insurance broker had said on the phone, I received the reassuring words of a true insurance super hero;

“Right, leave it with me, and don’t let the bike out of your sight”

Within the hour, I had a call back from my embarrassed broker with an apology, after they suddenly found my fully paid premium, and were sending out the correct paperwork. Without the-Zebra.com, I would have been lost at the first hurdle. How many of us mere mortals would have had the cojones to call the managing director of the parent company of our broker and demand that they look into it? The dark art of insurance just got a lot easier to navigate.

With the paperwork correctly filled in, pictures drawn and all sealed and returned, it should now just be a case of waiting for the money to pay for the damage. On a normal day, that would have been the case. Turns out the third party hadn’t bothered to inform their insurance company they had rammed a bike in traffic, so I had a wait on my hands.

When the paperwork arrived stating that the third party had allegedly seen me driving dangerously and that’s what caused the accident, I knew this wasn’t going to be easy. The-Zebra.com turned the tables and went after the lion. Several months of emails, phone calls, and banging on the door of common sense resulted in a full settlement in my favour and the cash to repair my poorly motorcycle. If only that was the end of it.

During the months of negotiation and arguments that the-Zebra.com endured, my insurance had come to term, and I had renewed it as I had every year. Only this time there was a difference. They had increased my premium and excess, and refused to grant me the full European breakdown cover I had been sold for the last couple of years. It turns out my bike was too old and didn’t meet the terms of the policy.
And it hadn’t met those terms since the policy had been active.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope.

The-Zebra.com drafted and sent a complaint to the parent company and the Financial Ombudsman detailing all the issues I had had with the broker, the third party and the mis sold insurance premiums after Motorcycle Direct offered £40 in the way of an apology for years of client neglect. It took just a few weeks to receive a very detailed letter and a cheque covering the total cost of the mis sold European cover, including a one off final settlement payment. Boom. Zebra eats lion.
Without people like Chris Wheal and the-Zebra.com, none of this would have been possible. It’s reassuring to know that super heroes exist, hiding in plain sight, just waiting for the insurance industry to step out of line so that can get trampled by a stripy horse.
He survives as a soldier of fortune, so if you have a problem, and if no one else can help, now you know where to find him, and he is for hire, Chris Wheal, the-Zebra.com:cheers:

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Nice one Chris

Thanks for posting this James

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've only met Chris once, on the dance floor at last year's annual meet he was :eek:, he organises us and the annual get together s plus more I'm sure. Focused on supporting us bikers :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Very well written praise of the highest order. Well done Chris.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks for sharing this James and Well done Chris :thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

:sunny:

·
Ex seagoing truck driver
357 Posts
Fantastic account, and what a star Whealie is. We need more superheroes like that. Why does life have to be such a battle? It seems we have to fight just to get what we are due. It's a right royal PITA. Lots of mentions on this forum of Whealie helping out and often seen him offering help, a good guy to have on the team.:thumbup:

·
Captain unsensible.......
2,553 Posts
dont encourage him.... he'll soon be so big headed he wont get his helmet on........

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
I'm surprised he could manage it.....he's mostly incoherent when I see him..... :confused: :toothy2:

Reactions: Whealie

·
Toolbox
295 Posts
Great job Whealie! So if we´re getting in trouble with a cabbie during our three weeks UK tour (starting next week) I´ll call you. Good to know ;)
Cheers
Chris

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
All he's ever done for me, is take photographs of my penis, and then make me the laughing stock of XRV!!

He does make a mean sausage roll though!!

:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts