Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rear bearing (disc side obviously) fkt last week, googled xrv750 bearing, and a bearing supplier site came up saying, make of bike, model, year etc.. ok. after noting the numbers(Rear wheel right - 6203-2RSC3, Rear wheel left - 6303-2RSC3, Sprocket carrier - 6204-2RSC3 i went done to a good local supplier for the bearings, fitted all 3 rears new,then... 10miles later- creek & groan. hhm! luckily 30secs from a friends house. next day an engineering friend came down and noticed the numbers ended in C3, informing me that the C3 a form of expansion gap needed for high speed bearings for when they heat up ie; electrical motors, gaps range from c1-c5, and should NOT be used on a bike wheel. Now replaced with 6203-2rs... 400miles later, Sweet! So yesterday decided to re-grease front bearings before todays ride, and c3 types are in there! maybe the last owner read the same site.. though I've found 3 sites giving the same info. If it's not broke, don't fix it. vs Prevention is better than cure. Well for the sake of 15mins, £10 & piece of mind, choice B wins! We think the actual collapse was caused by the central bearing spacer being 1.5mm short allowing lateral movement of the bearing when tightening the spindle. (rectified by using shimming washers) at least 'til i get a new spacer!
JUST TO SAY... DONT REPLACE LIKE FOR LIKE (at least until you've checked they're correct), WHEN REPLACING BEARINGS, CHECK THAT THE BEARING IS BUTT-UP TO THE INNER SPACER & MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL.. DON'T BE A DICK LIKE ME & FORGET TO LOOK ON THE XRV.ORG MICROFICHE PAGE!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts