Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so buying the Alp (700) on Monday in Spain, will be using it a lot here off road but then after a few months will ride back to the UK and use it as a road bike, until I return to Spain. Rather than buying dual purpose tyres, is it relatively easy to just have two sets of wheels with different tyres on? Has anyone done this? Can I swap them out easy enough in my garage (no centre stand)? How much can I find a set of second hand wheels for? Will it affect my brakes?

If not, how much mpg do you think I will loose having off-road biased tyres on long road trips?

Sorry for all the questions... Thanks :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
i used to do this with my XT600E when i supermotarded it
i managed to find a complete set of nearly new 17" talon rims on XT hubs with brand new sports tyres for a song (the poor bloke wrecked his bike a few days after doing it up) and could swap between the road wheels and the TWs with 21" front. to be honest i never bothered and sold the originals.
a set of 2nd hand wheels for a TA700 might be very hard to find, and expensive it being quite a new bike. simply changing wheels is easier than changing tyres, but if you factor in the costs and learn how to change tyres yourself i dont know. in my local tyre place a lot of guys bring their bikes in with their pair of offroads and have them swapped over for a tenner.
if you are using it off road a lot for a few months you might find the tyres wont last long and you'll have to get new ones anyway? i would stick with dual purpose tyres, have a look around there are a load to choose from with different road to offroad bias. i did some good trails in spain on my varadero with conti trail attacks and they were fine, if you can do it in the dry

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wheel changes without a centre stand are easy, do as I do ith my slr: use a Mahou crate:thumb:
Spare wheels over here are a problem, I buy nearly all my bike stuff from the UK.
Big problem with off-road tyres on the road isn't so much mpg, but high wear rate and poor handling on the wet and diesely UK roads.
Can you manage with Mich Anakees? They're road biased but handle stone trails etc quite well, no good for mud or loose sand though.
Personally I´d just swap the tyres for Bridgestone BT45's (best road tyres in trailie sizes) before you go to UK, and swap them back for proper trail tyres when you get back from the grey.
Allow an hour to take the wheels out, an hour a wheel to swap the tyres, a hour to put 'em back. If its your first time, allow a full sunday with the bike and the crate of Mahou:D
A set of 3 tyre levers and some rim protectors are massively cheaper than spare wheels!

What part of Spain are you?
I´m Axarquia area of Málaga. Lumpy mountains, twisty roads, big drops:) :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
we stayed in a friends villa in teruel, fantastic countryside and great people. a neighbours kid took us out on some local trails, he couldnt understand why our 1000cc varadero and v-strom couldnt keep up with him on his 50cc rieju till he felt how heavy they were, hilarious

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 50cc offroaders are a real laugh, especially those with an 80cc kit:thumb:, not much power but so light.
For the big mountain rides, XR400's and DRZ's are favoured, with an odd lunatic on a CR500 and one on a GasGas 250 2T.
I like taking a friend ;) , so I use 4 wheels for offroading.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel changes without a centre stand are easy, do as I do ith my slr: use a Mahou crate:thumb:
Spare wheels over here are a problem, I buy nearly all my bike stuff from the UK.
Big problem with off-road tyres on the road isn't so much mpg, but high wear rate and poor handling on the wet and diesely UK roads.
Can you manage with Mich Anakees? They're road biased but handle stone trails etc quite well, no good for mud or loose sand though.
Personally I´d just swap the tyres for Bridgestone BT45's (best road tyres in trailie sizes) before you go to UK, and swap them back for proper trail tyres when you get back from the grey.
Allow an hour to take the wheels out, an hour a wheel to swap the tyres, a hour to put 'em back. If its your first time, allow a full sunday with the bike and the crate of Mahou:D
A set of 3 tyre levers and some rim protectors are massively cheaper than spare wheels!

What part of Spain are you?
I´m Axarquia area of Málaga. Lumpy mountains, twisty roads, big drops:) :)
I'm in Tarragona, so the Pyrenees will be my playground. Just got back from Ronda today, where I bought my '09 Alp from a grave track tour place who are about to head back to the UK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts