Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm the proud yet frustrated owner of a Transalp xl650v6 which I brought new in August 2007. Ever since then I've had a love hate relationship with the bike especially when it comes to maintenance and repairs.
Firstly let me admit that I am a sinner! Hailing originally from New Zealand where we do not use salt on winter roads just grit, I committed the cardinal sin of riding my transalp on UK roads during winter. This wouldn't have been so bad in itself if wasn't for the fact that my local council adds molasses into the salt mix to stop the spreaders clogging. This renders hondas own instructions on winter cleaning (use cold water only), completely null and void! The sugar sticks the salt to the bike unless you use hot water and soap which then catalyses the electrolytic reaction between aluminium and steel, so you are screwed either way!

This means my poor old girl 'Shazza' has been in a loosing battle with corrosion since the day I bought her. The first victim was the 'el cheepo' plain steel muffler which was rotten through and shot within 12 months.
The second victims were the front brake callipers which had to be completely replaced. Back in 2009, I luckily managed to get some brand new originals complete and ready to fit shipped in from Australia, at half the price it would have cost me to get just the bare calliper body here in the UK (british honda parts retailers you are pirates!). The third major victim was the right side radiator which I had to have completely rebuilt.
The latest victim is my rear wheel which has literally disintegrated in front of my eyes even though the bike has sat in the garage for the last 4 years.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank Honda for their cheap-arse use of plain steel untreated, unpainted spokes next to an aluminium rim and for their decision to use cheap plain steel fixings and screws instead of stainless around the bike and indeed for the whole design and layout of farings and components which channel and trap dirt and contaminants in out of the way spaces where they cannot be cleaned without going to the extremes of a complete dismantling of the entire bike every time it needs cleaning, Bastards!

As a final phase to my rant, The other day I finally got round to repairing the farings which were damaged in a minor accident 4 years ago (hence the bike being in my garage all this time), I discovered that those lovely boys at Honda did the dirty on me back when I first purchased the bike back in 2007. Having paid good money to order the Black version of the bike and waiting extra days for delivery while it was sourced from the suppliers, I have now found out that the bike is a hodgepodge of miss matched farings quickly repainted in the back of the shop. The Right side faring is a genuine black, while the left started life metallic blue, then metallic red and was finally repainted black to match my order. Not exactly what you expect when you purchase a brand new motorbike is it! I always wondered why the left faring as always such a bitch to unclip. There are so many layers of paint that the anchor pegs jam in the rubber mounts!

Can anyone out there help me with sourcing a new, OEM, or custom rear wheel for this model? No manufacturers seem to make replacement wheels for this model of transalp although they do for the xl700 transalp and the xr650 trail bike. I'm trying to rebuild the original wheel using an aluminium braising kit which seems to be going well but is damaging the black anodised colouring of the rim, meaning I will have to repaint it once the cracks and flakes are all mended. I'm also going to need replacement spokes as I had no option but to cut them all as they were too corroded for normal removal. I might even need a new hub if I can't get the stub ends of some of the spokes out where the steel/aluminium electrolysis has welded them into the hub.
Is there anyone who can help out there?

·
Registered
671 Posts
"Can anyone out there help me with sourcing a new, OEM, or custom rear wheel for this model?" eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL-650-Transalp-Rear-Wheel-Spoked-17xMT2-50-00-07-602/193118680858

Sounds like you need to prepare the bike for winter riding using ACF-50. I've been using this on my bikes every Autumn, spraying on and brushing it into all the nooks and crannies esp wheels and spokes. Washing it all off in the spring - and inbetween just hosing down to remove as best as possible salt residue. With the brakes regular rebuild & servicing with red grease keeps em working. Aluminium corrosion in the seal recesses cause binding when the white oxide builds up pushing the seals out. If pistons get corroded there are stainless steel aftermarket ones available. Along with SS (with some copper grease) pin grub screws https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Bolt-Stainless-Steel-Caliper-Pin-Grub-Screw-Pack-x3-Polished-Stainless/332613791835.

As for the exhaust, 2 years ago replaced the link pipe and silencer with a fully stainless aftermarket one after removing the old corroded system.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282241872300 (Actually £10 cheaper now compared to when I bought it!)

I've found my '01 TA a very low maintenace bike just as long as preventative maintenance is done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Can anyone out there help me with sourcing a new, OEM, or custom rear wheel for this model?" eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-XL-650-Transalp-Rear-Wheel-Spoked-17xMT2-50-00-07-602/193118680858

Sounds like you need to prepare the bike for winter riding using ACF-50. I've been using this on my bikes every Autumn, spraying on and brushing it into all the nooks and crannies esp wheels and spokes. Washing it all off in the spring - and inbetween just hosing down to remove as best as possible salt residue. With the brakes regular rebuild & servicing with red grease keeps em working. Aluminium corrosion in the seal recesses cause binding when the white oxide builds up pushing the seals out. If pistons get corroded there are stainless steel aftermarket ones available. Along with SS (with some copper grease) pin grub screws https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pro-Bolt-Stainless-Steel-Caliper-Pin-Grub-Screw-Pack-x3-Polished-Stainless/332613791835.

As for the exhaust, 2 years ago replaced the link pipe and silencer with a fully stainless aftermarket one after removing the old corroded system.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282241872300 (Actually £10 cheaper now compared to when I bought it!)

I've found my '01 TA a very low maintenace bike just as long as preventative maintenance is done.
Cheers Wicky,

Thanks for the link to a replacement wheel. Unfortunately I hadn't heard of ACF- 50 until last year - 11 years to late!
Have already installed a stainless steel muffler although no aftermarket exhaust I've found is the right shape to allow a reinstall of the original Givi pannier frames so still looking for an alternative exhaust or racks. In the process of changing all the corroded bolts on the bike for SS alternatives but keep finding more hidden horrors the deeper I go into the bike. K-rust and repaint is the order of the day.

·
Registered
671 Posts
"Have already installed a stainless steel muffler although no aftermarket exhaust I've found is the right shape to allow a reinstall of the original Givi pannier frames so still looking for an alternative exhaust or racks."

One I linked to above works with my pannier racks -
Delkevic do different length cans - I just measured before ordering to ensure the right fit in the allowable space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts