Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. My apologies if this has been covered before. My Dommie has the usual wheel rot problems and with only 22 thousand miles on the clock. My Africa Twin suffered the same problem but had over 160,000 on the clock when I changed bikes. Anyway this seems to be limited to Hondas so I was wondering if anyone knows if (for example) would the DR 600 rim fit to my front hub or the KLR maybe. I have a limited budget so can't afford a new rim. Many thanks and see ya on the black stuff

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi all. My apologies if this has been covered before. My Dommie has the usual wheel rot problems and with only 22 thousand miles on the clock. My Africa Twin suffered the same problem but had over 160,000 on the clock when I changed bikes. Anyway this seems to be limited to Hondas so I was wondering if anyone knows if (for example) would the DR 600 rim fit to my front hub or the KLR maybe. I have a limited budget so can't afford a new rim. Many thanks and see ya on the black stuff
It's not limited to Honda bike's that the wheel rot effects, it seems to be any bike with DID rims on them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't believe that D.I.D have been used for so long when there are clearly quality issues with their products. My A/T was 89 and the Dommie is 99 so they have been providing poor and dangerous equipment for some time

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
yep DID seems to be the rims that rot

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I can't believe that D.I.D have been used for so long when there are clearly quality issues with their products. My A/T was 89 and the Dommie is 99 so they have been providing poor and dangerous equipment for some time
It's not only DID that rot but they do seem to have the biggest issues. You also have to remember these style of bikes get used in all kinds of terrain mud, sand etc all can cause scratches on the aluminium which will cause it to corrode. Down here we have lots of salts and arsenic in the top soil soil when you go off roading in the winter the mud and water gets between the tubes and the rims and rots the ali as it sits there. All land areas which have mining in there history will be the same so area's like Wales where alot of offroading happens will also be effected. None of these wheels rot over night it is over a period of years that the damage is done and it's very east to make Aluminium corrode.

Lets face it if you buy a new bike you don't worry about as you don't expect it to happen. My bikes have suffered from it in the past and the first time i change the tyres on the bike i just sand them back with the dremmel and then paint them with 2-3 coats of hammerite and then forget about it. Body shops will spray them for you with a PU sealer that virtually elimates anything penetrating the sealant to cause corrosion

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Wheel rot is virtually non existing in Sweden and other civilised parts of the world, so it has to do with something special that's only present on the island of the Brits.
Warm beer? Fish & Chips? Water systems running on the outside of the houses? Driving on the Devils side of the roads? What ever it could be, just fix it and be done with the dreadful wheel rot once and for all. :toothy5:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha ha....when you're offroading you are always on the right side of the road. Jason, I'm not sure how much of the structure is safe to grind back etc before the wheel becomes really unsafe so am just gonna find a good rim somewhere

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
as long as the rims got the same number of spoke holes and the hub is a pretty similar shape and width , then usually ok

to use a rim off another bike , make sure you count the spoke holes

regards paul

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
rim rot is usually caused by road salt and water

do you grit the roads in sweden ?

i know that they dont in italy , so it doesnt happen in italy either ,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul, thanks for your comment.....kinda confirms my own thoughts so gonna start countin' spokes on DRs and KLRs and see what might work. As for salting the roads many countries use extracts from pig urine for keeping the roads clear. It's a shame that this marrs an otherwise good little motorbike -)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts