Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I managed my first (intentional) wheelie on the TA. :D

I'm sure some of you won't be too impressed with that but I was beginning to think it wasn't possible without giving stupid amounts of right hand.

Just need more practise now to get them every time, where I want them.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Ha ha! Well done mate! Keep up the good work!

I pop loads of small power wheelies with the Varadero off the throttle and occasional large brown stains in the pants ones!

I'm sure some will sneer but hey, it's all good fun!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Ha ha! Well done mate! Keep up the good work!

I pop loads of small power wheelies with the Varadero off the throttle and occasional large brown stains in the pants ones!

I'm sure some will sneer but hey, it's all good fun!

SMALL!! Occasional !! I though that was how you always set off :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never managed a power wheelie on the TA except if I have a pillion or hit a crest in the road under max power. It seems to be quite front heavy.

I'm not trying to gain this skill to be a hooligan on the road (I can manage fine without :D ).

Sooner or later I'm going to come across a rocky step or something trail riding that you can't just ride up(or down) and need a wheelie or at the very least unload the front end to get over.

More practice required. Lots more.

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Never managed wheelie on the TA except over crests. My clutch is too knackered to try now but I suppose with some serious throttle and clutch abuse it will.

The vara on the other hand wheelies dead easy from a start, and over crests is just the best fun ever if a little scary at times :D

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Dysan
you are a bad influence! I hadn't thought about trying to wheelie until your post.

As per AfricaJim I have had a few power wheelie out of roundabouts but they are as if in slow motion rather than scarey lift offs.
The @ is a different matter I might have to put some balast at the front.

I don't need any more excuses for falling off :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
You're all gits.

I have never really mastered wheelies: mostly due to bottling it!!

I used to manage a few on my TL1000s, but if I hadn't, I should probably have been arrested for sacrilege!! All the same they were mostly from just wanging the throttle open and I doubt they ever looked very stylish.

Stoppies on the other hand I can do: I even managed a few on my CBR1000F that probably weighed close to 6 tons... (Only once that I remeber I managed a rolling stoppie, but I only realised I had done it when the back bounced down!:rolleyes:)

TA may lack the bite for those: I will have to practice where the roads are not potholed like the lunar surface...

Anyone want to pop over the Tallinn and teach me?

·
Registered
779 Posts
My bike is restricted, but I've got the front off the ground a couple of times. Much easier when standing on the rear pegs. Oddly I can unweight the front for drops when off road with no problems and land evenly, but can't get the front a respectable distance in the air on the flat. Got a pillion that wants to try wheelies though, so should be fun :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Speed bumps are great for launching the front end :D:D:D allegedly

It allways takes clutch and lots of right hand from slow speeds anyway but as others say hump back bridges or crests can be entertaining too my old CR250R was great at em :thumbright:

Disclaimer; Wheelies are only performed under strict supervision of proffesionals and never on public highways :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
ahh the joys of my DR600... :angel2:

prefer playing on a light single to that of a quarter Ton Big trailie.. but that just down to my skill level :thumbup:

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
Sooner or later I'm going to come across a rocky step or something trail riding that you can't just ride up(or down) and need a wheelie or at the very least unload the front end to get over.

More practice required. Lots more.
might I suggest that if you need to wheelie the front end of the transalp up a rock step, you're going to get stuck... cos you ain't gonna get the back end up it either...& the belly pan is probably going to break in the attempt...

but hey, mebbey I'm just an old woman when it come to serious offroading...:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts