Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering taking my Stelvio on some light off road trails next year so am looking to change the back wheel from a 180 profile, 5.5 wide rim to the NTX
version wheel which is 4.25" and will take a 150 section (with more options on tyres). The 150 rear should also handle better on the road.

A spoked rear is very expensive, I can get a pair of cast wheels new for the less than half the cost a spoked rear.

What are the views using cast wheels off road

These are the new ones www.tlm.nl/magazijn/webshop/losse_onderdelen/details/38808

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Assuming you want to change the wheel you have (i.e. you're not after having a two set of wheels), can't you have it rebuilt with the rim you want?

Even if you had to buy a new set of spokes & nipples the price shouldn't be too far off 200-250 GBP..? (I paid a bit over 200 GBP for a new 3.5" Akront rim, specially drilled for an AT rear wheel, anodized, and rebuilt with new spokes. I'm assuming 4.24" rims aren't fabulously expensive or anything!)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did get a budget cost for a rim and build from ritosfx, that is another option, but still around £250 fort a little more I could get a second set as you suggest. Just the question over suitablity of cast rims off road

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Surprised cast wheels are that cheap! What's the source?

Vaguely considering cast wheels for my V7 at some point in the next few years, the Nevada wheels (which I guess they found in the parts bin when they designed the V7) aren't really that nice, and the rims rust so would need a rebuild at some point anyway.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Spoked wheels are by many motorcyclist considered to be better when used in off road applications.
They are supposed to "give a bit" if hitting a rock or other solid objects, while the forged or cast wheels are totally solid, and therefore they could break in the same situation.
It's also stated that it's possible to continue to drive the bike home or to the repairshop with a bent spoked wheel but not with a cast wheel missing a large chunk.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'd guess that cast wheels are probably heavier than spoked ones, as well as being less forgiving. And you can tweak a spoked wheel if it gets out of true, not something I'd attempt with a cast one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts