Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
There must be some but i doubt you or I would notice any change. But new wheels/rims look the dogs danglies:D

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
When I first bought my XR400 I noticed that the standard spokes didn't look big enough for what I had in mind for the bike, so I had them relaced with thicker stainless spokes that are as good now as the day they were redone. I check them for tightness just before the MoT is due but they very rarely need tightening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In theory, lighter wheels means less unsprung weight = better suspension & road-holding. And make the bike turn faster too, due to less gyroscopic forces.
As Phil says, in practice I doubt any "normal" rider would notice the difference - but they look good and bling up the bike :thumbright:
Lighter front wheel = bigger wheelies? :D:D

There are several pairs of OE used XR wheels going on fleabay at the moment...

Anyone know if XR250 or XR650 wheels fit the XR400?
I've heard that CRM250 wheels fit too. Anyone know for sure?

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Both my wheel are shagged, what's the benefit of having lighter wheels? :)
For the likes of you and me not a lot, a lighter front wheel will speed up steering slightly as it reduces the gyroscopic effect on the wheel as you would have to use and create less interia to turn the wheel. Any weight saving is good when your doing long offroad work and know you'll be knackered by the end of the day.

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
When I first bought my KTM 450 it had paper thin inner tubes that wouldn't have lasted the first turn of the wheels on the green lanes around Kent, let alone the enduros of mid-Wales. So after using some heavy duty inner tubes of the same type that I have on my XR400, I put some mega-heavy duty inner tubes onto the KTM the next time that I changed the tyres...& what a differance. The steering felt slightly heavier, but more planted & less easily deflected in the very rough stuff. I soon got used to them & it dosn't feel any differant to the XR400 whenever I swap from one bike to the other.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my new black and gold excel/talon rims and what a difference to my old buckled welded ones, feels much better in the corners and a straight line.:D

Now can anyone tell me how to get my front sprocket to stop moving on the spline? It has alot of play on the shaft. never jumps teeth though.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Now can anyone tell me how to get my front sprocket to stop moving on the spline? It has alot of play on the shaft. never jumps teeth though.
Simple, You Can't, i've never seen an xr without loads of play they are all like that just another characteristic of this bike:blob4::blob4:

·
Registered
318 Posts
All the front sprockets move on the spline, even on the xr250r, it does make you worry to start with but thats how Mr Honda designed them, and just to jump the thread slightly, I wouldnt mind getting stainless spokes for my wheels, is there anything wrong with taking out an old spoke and putting a new one in its place a spoke at a time until you complete the whole wheel. As opposed to breaking all the spokes out at once and sending it to a wheel builder, just thinking of my hard earned pennies ok

·
Registered
231 Posts
Transporter, its easier to do the whole lot in one go, as you can true and tension at the same time.

If your planning on using the rims again its worth taking you time getting the wheels apart as I've buggered a rim by just chopping into the spokes with a bolt cropper.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
All the front sprockets move on the spline, even on the xr250r, it does make you worry to start with but thats how Mr Honda designed them, and just to jump the thread slightly, I wouldnt mind getting stainless spokes for my wheels, is there anything wrong with taking out an old spoke and putting a new one in its place a spoke at a time until you complete the whole wheel. As opposed to breaking all the spokes out at once and sending it to a wheel builder, just thinking of my hard earned pennies ok
you can do it one at a time if you wish and if you do it one spoke at a time there is less chance of getting run out on the wheel but it will be time consuming

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They're lookin' real nice there Kristian! They match your graphics really well. Out of interest, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did they cost you? And what sort of tyres have you fitted?
£550.00, (talon/excel combo) And I have a pirrelli mt21 on the rear and a enduro comp on the front. Great combo for every surface.

:thumbright:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts