Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst at my local dealers, I noticed the Varadero comes with MAG wheels, and not the spoked variety found on the AT or Transalp. I was wondering if it might be an idea to obtain a set of wheels to use when touring... punctures are easier to repare with a tubeless setup than with a tube in place. If they do, it might be easier than carrying rim splitters, leavers as well as spare tubes.

Anyone thought about this ? is it possible ?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
jvaughan said:
...I was wondering if it might be an idea to obtain a set of [Varadero] wheels to use when touring...
I think the Varadero wheels are different sizes to the Africa Twin. So you might need one or all of the following; spindle spacers, brake caliper mounts, front fender. If the wheels are a different size it'll also mess around with the steering geometry, which may or may not be a good thing. It's also generally acknowledged that cast rims are more brittle than pressed rims. So if you're touring anywhere near a pothole or gravel track you'd be running more risk of a damaged wheel.

At the end of the day it is possible. Whether it's worth the effort and expense is a personal choice.

Iain 8)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Best thing with the AT rims is to bin them. Mine are corroding from the inside, I have had to treat mine to try to stop the rot [a five year old bike] I don't use pressure washes and spray the ally with dewatering fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts