Honda XRV Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dubhe 
#1 ·
Forgive me, it has been a while since I have posted, mainly because I have been riding a Suzuki GSR750 the past two years... but I have seen the error in my ways, and am looking to sell the bike and put the pennies towards something shiny in the New Year (unless anyone has a reasonable 650 Transalp they want rid of?!)

My question, have any of you had any experience of selling on Autotrader/eBay/MCN Bikes websites? Any idea which is best to attract serious buyers? Which sites do you look at when browsing for your next machine?

I have always used eBay in the past, but wondering if I am better using a different site.

Thanks, and promise I will join in a bit more :eek:ccasion9:

#2 ·
UKgser has a great for sale section & is worth subscribing to, here, big trailie abr etc are free & worth a punt but generally not much interest for road orientated bikes.
Despite what many doom mongers may say, I have had great results with ebay motors classified, £15 for a 30 day listing with 12 pics included & no final sale fees.

Phil

#4 ·
Thanks for your replies. The auction prices for bikes on eBay seem so low I was worried that potential buyers would only be on the look out for a below market value deal. I will give it a go and see what happens :thumbright:

#5 ·
The few times I've used eBay to buy & sell bikes I've had good results using their classified ads - I get the impression that the auctions can attract a different sort of buyer (or time waster) whereas the classifieds seem no different to those elsewhere (and in fact better in some respects since the amount of photos & description seems to be better on eBay than, say, Biketrader).

#6 ·
I've not had any luck selling my GS & a friend also gave up selling his Tenere. My bike has been on the GSer forum, Autotrader & now eBay.
I researched prices & compared it to others. Yet it is now advertised £800 below the original advert. W
ithin a few hours on eBay, I had 4 offers, ranging £800 - £400 below the advertised price. I refused suggested a different price to those closest. Never heard anything back.

eBay is your best bet but don't hold your breath - good luck!

#7 ·
I have used ebay classified to sell a few bikes. Normally use classified with offers, setting the offers lower limit a bit below the price I hope for and mail back the low offers a counter offer, sometimes works. As usual you need to price it right for the market which is hopefully near what you want for the bike-do your research! If you have time watch a few similar bikes auction or classified in your own area see what prices they are (or not) getting.
Generally seem to get less messers with classified but I usually leave it up until the deal is completed anyway.
The market has seemed rather flat unless you are giving it away this year and probably will not improve over the winter.

#8 ·
Agree with the flat market, I have priced it half way between what I should be getting and trade in, hopefully we will keep some decent weather over the next few weeks and someone will have it!

I bought the GSR as I wanted more power. At first, it was fantastic, but after a while it got a bit boring, and the only way to enjoy the bike was to go fast. I miss my green lanes and enjoying a leisurely pace. Obviously getting old...

G650GS Sertao is on my list at the moment, also 650 Transalp (preferred it to the 700 in my pic), not sure what else I will look at; need the money first!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.