Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another pseudo-big trailie type thing

(picture from MCN)

I think we know which way the market is going :?

It's arguable whether big trail bikes have ever been meant to go off road really, but at least some bikes have been built so it was plausible - with spoked wheels, 21" or 19" at the front, rather bthan 17" cast wheels with wide rims for example.

proper bikes:

BMW R1200GS
Honda Transalp
KTM 990 Adventure

cross dressers:

Honda Varadero
Triumph Scrambler (???)

hairdressers:

Benelli Tre-K
Ducati Multistrada
Kawasaki Versys
Suzuki V-strom 650
Suzuki V-strom 1000
Triumph Tiger
Yamaha TDM

OK, so I've excluded singles where there are plenty of off roaders available in big(ish) capacities, but even there there's been a definite trend to offering "street moto" versions as the mainstream option (F650, Pegaso and XTZ660 all coming in out-and-out road forms).

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Totally agree!

It seems that if tyou replace a belly pan for a less aesthetic sump guard you have transformed a bike into a dual purpose off-roader with gargantuan mountain climbing abilities.

Jim and I were at the Manchester bike show last week. How we laughed with the Honda man at the Varadero with its new paint scheme imitating an AT.

Tell you what though, the new BMW enduro 650 looks a decent bit of kit! It's not based on the F650GS but altogether a more solid offering.. Could be a good contender!!!

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
I agree as well that's why I stick with my A/T even though it's now 16 years old. For me the only bike I would replace it with is the KTM 950 S.

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Hmmyeah. A bit like how everything's an SUV now, beemer Xwhatever that gets stuck on a croquet lawn (channeling clarkson here I think) and very occasionally a proper landrover in the mix...

Yamaha doesn't even have a big trailie, either marketing or proper... TDM is a stretched up sports bike, a real twistie murderer and altogether a very nice hooligan bike :mrgreen:, but it's not a trailie by any definition.

And neither does honda by the way. Probably stepping on some toes here, but the Varadero with just 11 cm suspension travel it's just not a trailie. ;-)

I don't get this, what with the GSes taking off like they have over the past decade, suzuki playing along and KTM picking up the hardcore end, where's honda? Where's the do it all travel bike that won't break down? ;-)

Dutch sales figures from last year have the R1200GS on the top spot, and the 650 Strom a good second. First honda in the top 10 is the bloody deauville :shock: Surely they can do better than that...

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Transalp's a nice bike, I'll be the first to admit that. Especially if honda finally wakes up and gives the engine a bit more poke, like say drop in that new injection lump from the deauville. That would put it back up where it belongs, to fight it out with the 650 strom. ;-)

Still kinda lacking in the big-big trailie department though...

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
Mudwiz said:
It may not be a "Big" Trail Bike, but in defence, the TransAlp is a do-it-all bike that can go virtually anywhere you can take a motorcycle :thumb: , and do 400+ miles a day. Any way, its only the engine cc that's not big - it certianly weighs in close to the big boys :lol: !
I recently bought a new TA, in my short-list was a new KTM950 /990 Adv, Buell Uly, GS1150 / 1200 and a Trumpet Tiger. (no Vara, sorry, just too ugly, road orientated and heavy)

first I test rode the KTM followed by the Buell then took the TA out, I had a test of the Trumpet also lined up, but after riding the Honda realised it did everything I wanted / needed it to do so bought !, agreed it's nowhere near as powerful as the other bikes I rode but realistically where can you use 100bhp, the TA will still exceed the motorway speed limit by 30mph, but when you've had a rubbish day at work or your tired and still have loads of miles to go the docile handling and power delivery make it a no hassle ride. It's still off road-able, just :wink: and came in at £3000 less that the other bikes too.

Being a Honda I know it will be incredible reliable, not something I would say of the Buell and KTM as they are yet to be proven, unlike the 20 year old TA.

my only problem with the TA is a slight lack of charisma and the comfort of the saddle, but I'm working on the latter. It's a great workhorse :D

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
russh said:
Being a Honda I know it will be incredible reliable
yeah, you wouldn't want to end up with a bike from a manufacturer that supplies self destruct wheels, brake calipers that fall to bits within a few years, chokes that seize all the time, paint work that falls off, rectifiers and fuel pumps that fry themselves... :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
icenian said:
russh said:
Being a Honda I know it will be incredible reliable
yeah, you wouldn't want to end up with a bike from a manufacturer that supplies self destruct wheels, brake calipers that fall to bits within a few years, chokes that seize all the time, paint work that falls off, rectifiers and fuel pumps that fry themselves... :evil: :evil: :evil:
Oh dear, I think I spoke to soon, the TA has been handling a bit funny recently, I put it down to the strong winds we've been having, however it was relatively still tonight but the bike still weaved at low speed, on checking it tonight looks like the head bearings are pitted already!! 6 months old, 3000 miles, back to the dealers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read a Biketest,where they compared V-strom and Varadero,Capo Nord, Triumph. Varaderos bat points are DBS (dual braking system) When hitting rear brake on the gravel,the front wheel automatically locks/stops too for a secont and this can be very dangerous. And varadero had bigger fuel consumption than DL and too narrow bars. BTW test winner was Capo.

G

·
raigo said:
I read a Biketest,where they compared V-strom and Varadero,Capo Nord, Triumph. Varaderos bat points are DBS (dual braking system) When hitting rear brake on the gravel,the front wheel automatically locks/stops too for a secont and this can be very dangerous. And varadero had bigger fuel consumption than DL and too narrow bars. BTW test winner was Capo.
The front wheel doesn't lock. It's got ABS as well.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
russh said:
the head bearings are pitted already!! 6 months old, 3000 miles, back to the dealers.
Good news :D Usually these things would go a fews weeks after the end of the warranty!

BTW do you know Gavins Bike Hospital (GBH) in Oxford? Last heard of (by me) back in the late 20th century. Very fair prices, and more to the point, he knew what he was doing!

He was on Botley Road back then :idea1: maybe yell.com knows where he is now...
result :thumb:

Gavin's Bike Hospital (G.B.H)
2, Oxford Rd, Farmoor, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX2 9NN
Tel: 01865 862888
Motorcycle Repairs & Service

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
icenian said:
russh said:
the head bearings are pitted already!! 6 months old, 3000 miles, back to the dealers.
Good news :D Usually these things would go a fews weeks after the end of the warranty!

BTW do you know Gavins Bike Hospital (GBH) in Oxford? Last heard of (by me) back in the late 20th century. Very fair prices, and more to the point, he knew what he was doing!

He was on Botley Road back then :idea1: maybe yell.com knows where he is now...
result :thumb:

Gavin's Bike Hospital (G.B.H)
2, Oxford Rd, Farmoor, Oxford, Oxfordshire OX2 9NN
Tel: 01865 862888
Motorcycle Repairs & Service
I've never had dealings with him directly, but I vaguely remember him from "Oxford Motorcycle Engineers" Oxfords then Kawasaki dealership, These were true dealers rather than stealers, always had a very good reputation, and some of the best side burns in the motorcycle industry! (Not Gavin though from what i remember.) I've heard other people sing his praises, and I see he has a website -

http://www.gbh-uk.com/

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...and other pseudo-trailie thing! These things are taking over the world.

Moto Morini MM3

image from MCN

1 - 17 of 17 Posts