Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all i've recently posted about a misfire on my RD03, i've eliminated coils/cdi and was going to take the carbs off/apart next weekend. i was lookind around things today looking for kinked fuel pipes etc, when i noticed a "y" piece with no pipe attatched coming from the fuel pump.

It may be nothing and only a vent pipe but its worth an investigation, if you go to the tech section fiche on the RD03 its on page 36 and is part 46. there are two part 46's and i have the one attatched that goes down to the floor but it shows a pipe coming off the y pice that goes "up", but to what ?? i would have thought it was only a vent pipe but does anyone know for sure before i start to strip everything down to find out its nothing :(.

I'm hoping this is the needle in the haystack but nothing is ever that simple is it :mad:.

I was thinking along the lines of fuel pump also, it has a standard one on at the moment and the clock is reading 50,000 km. it seems to pulse at about 24 per minute on tickover and gets slightly faster as you increase the revs but its impossible to tell over 2000 revs as theres so much other vibration going on.

Is there a diaphram in the original pump ? as i was thinking along the lines of its fine when pumping at low speeds but doesnt pump at full pressure at high revs??

Do straws and clutching spring to mind :confused:.

I think carbs off is the first avenue to explore but would you be thinking of replacing the fuel pump anyway before it leaves me stranded somewhere as it could well be 20 years old.

Your thoughts on any of the above please

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

This one? (No. 46)
I can go out and check on my bike if You like.

It will take a short minute
I have to move some stuff around in the garage first.

//Kjell

·
Registered
30 Posts
just had a misfire/jerking on higher refs on my RDO3 and placed a thread on the forum. (make me understand) Bob was great giving list of things to check. In the end he was spot on with a common choke that could have been stuck. But since you going to take the carbs apart that will come apparent if that is the cause.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This one? (No. 46)
I can go out and check on my bike if You like.

It will take a short minute
I have to move some stuff around in the garage first.

//Kjell
yes Kjell, i have the 46 going down from the "y" but nothing on the other part of the "y" it shows a 46 going upwards but i dont know to where.

thanks again,

p.s ive sent you a message

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Sorry, cant read messages since I'm not a subscriber
I will eventually become one, but I´m a lazy boy,,,

I'll hit the garage then, be back in a jiffy

//Kjell

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry, cant read messages since I'm not a subscriber
I will eventually become one, but I´m a lazy boy,,,

I'll hit the garage then, be back in a jiffy

//Kjell
F*ck !!, i just spent 15 minutes writing you a message and editing it about 6 times to get it under the 1000 letters you are allowed.............................. and now you cant read it anyway :(.

It was only really to thank you for all your help so far and...................................................... no doubt all your help to come. I was intending on running the bike for a year then completely stripping it down next winter and copmpletely going through it. powder coat the frame strip suspension etc etc but now this problem.

i noticed it after i had replaced a new airbox rubber as the old one was leaking as it was badly mis shaped and letting air in.i did have the old one sealed for a couple of weeks before it came off again so i replaced it. the tank has been on and off more times than i care to remember so i thought i might have pulled something off or trapped something ??

i also put a seal behind the air filter cover as this was missing, could it be a case of setting the mixture as the air box is sealed as it should be, probably more than it was when i got it ??

the plugs were nice and clean when i did a plug chop

I dont know what to look at first:

i took the chokes out but theyre not seized and looked clean, the choke lever is fairly stiff it flicks back about 1/3 then you have to push it back the rest of the way - is this normal, i was going to buy the caps off wemoto and disconnect the choke cables to elimate it.

I was thinking fuel pump in case it wasnt pumping at full pressure at high revs ??? could this be right or would the pump either work or not ??.

my last thing was to reluctantly take off the carbs and remove the float bowls to see if there is any crap in there.

which would you suggest to try first ?????

i hope we never meet Kjell as i probaby owe you and a few others on here a good few beers :-D:-D

thanks again

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I'm back :p

I can read the messages, but I can't answer them I think.

Anyhow,, The only small hoses connected to a T-joint that I can see under there is connected to each carburator

I will post a very bad picture for you to see in a moment.

Concerning the beers, well I just might pop by Britain this summer.
First Norway early summer, then Färöarna, (what ever they are called in English), and then GB early autum.

http://img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sdc12180vg2.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
well i was given the advice to see if fuel pump is faulty is to fill the tank with fuel and then bypass the fuel pump. the pressure from the full tank is more than enough to feed the carbs. then if the bike shows no problem then the problem could be fuel pump. if it persists then it is something else. i tried the advise and found my fuel pump OK and was something else.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I think 46 just stays open to the air at the top and bottom. I think the top one just goes under a clip on the frame or cylinder head. I notice it has no spring clip on the end, unlike the parts that join onto something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks yen i'll cross that off the list of possible causes then :thumb:

east african rider i'll try that at weekend to eliminate the fuel pump :thumb:

Kjell, you'll have to try harder if you want those beers ;). i have those pipes between the cylinders , but thats a "t" piece and you were looking for a "y" piece coming from the fuel pump :lol:.

thanks for your help guys, i'll keep you informed.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread, he he

Whats happening here?
foundit in the link to your AT pics.
Looks action packed!

LOL!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Sorry to hijack thread, he he

Whats happening here?
foundit in the link to your AT pics.
Looks action packed!

LOL!

I know,,, I have tried to remove that picture from that site, but it keeps popping up, really anoying!

The old fat fart in the front is me ;)

I've done some odd 30 years now in cammo

I'm telling them youngsters to change the barrel since they passed the limit of bullets allowed passing through the barrel without a cool down

Ser just att du finns i Norge !

Jag sitter och planerar en resa dit i maj med min @

Fundera på att köra till Ryjkan och kolla in Sabotörstigen

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no worries @lf i was only kidding :mrgreen:.

looking forward to seeing your pictures Kjell, your pics always look a lot nicer than mine in rainy manchester :toothy2:.

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts
I think that you need to rebuild your carbs and check the throttle bodies!!

I had a similar problem ages ago on a different bike, turned out to be the throttle slider in the carb was not moving freely!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Is part 46 in this picture?
I think it is, but just need you to confirm if it's the Y shaped hose just in fron of the carb

//Kjell
No Kjell its the y piece that comes out from the small pipe on the bottom of the fuel pump........... silly billy :D

I have all the carb overflows connected like that, Its the one from the pump i dont understand, also the vent pipe that goes from the 2 outlets on the top of the carbs runs down the frame tube under the tank and goes nowhere ?? because it does on mine. does this connect to the y piece from the fuel pump where i have one "leg of the Y piece with nothing connected ??

the ends of the y piece that has nothing connected to it is dull and doesnt look like its had a pipe on it like the others as when you pull the others off the metal y piece is shiny metal where it has been covered.

I was thinking along the lines of why have a y piece if nothing is connected to it ??

Basically this is what i have:

- pipe coming from 2 outlets on top of carbs going down to nothing - CORRECT ??

- 2 inch (50mm) pipe from bottom of fuel pump going to a y piece with one branch of the y not connected to anything and a pipe on the other leg going to nothing - CORRECT ??

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts