Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the NEC for Motorcycle Live this week, and whilst the pages of the motorcycling press are plastered with "Adventure Bikes", it was noticeable that there weren't any big trail bikes at the show. If you want to spend £20k on 125+bhp and 250kg of touring bike on long travel suspension then you've got loads of choice.

But if you want a 600cc-ish bike with a 21" front wheel, less than 180kg, long service intervals and focus on torque rather than power, for a bit of green laning then there's nothing on sale at the moment. The KTM 690 Adv is gone, as is the Yamaha XT660Z and the Suzuki DR650.

You could argue that the new Triumph Tiger 800 XC or new BMW F850 GS fit the bill, but they're around the 200kg mark and festooned with plastic. The 'new' Africa Twin has the right attitude, but seems to be getting more obese each year. The forthcoming Yamaha T7 and KTM 790 Adv might be contenders, but are likely to severely stretch the budget.

There seems to be a hole in the market between real off-road 450cc bikes and faux off-road 800cc bikes, where a £7k down-to-earth 600cc ought to sit. Which is a shame. Or is it just me?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Went up to Gear 4 last year on my AT with my mate,to pick up his new 1290. My main reason though was to check out the bike I'd been planning to get since it came out, the 701 Enduro. I was unfortunately stopped dead in my tracks by the height of it. I can deal with tall bikes but both my feet were three inches from the ground.That was my second big disappointment after seeing the weight of the CRF1000. To be honest I'm still loving my 650 Dommie, and I'm 8G's better off !
(anyways, for a dirt bike I'll take carb's over computers any day!) :)

Note : There's always the Himalayan. Not much feedback on it yet but it does seem to be at a price that you can afford to drop it down a slope without worrying about the financial damage.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The seat height is 20mm lower than my XR400 which is getting a bit tall for me to kick now so i should cope with that having electric start but your right the electronic stuff puts me off and my dommi does just what i want, but if i had to choose its the only big trail bike i would buy now I've seen nothing else i like come to think of it what other options are there

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a lot to like about the Husky 701. Surprisingly long service intervals at over 6000 miles, pretty light weight at 155kg wet, and of course 74bhp isn't to be sneezed at. On the down side £8600 is a lot for a green lane toy, and I do wonder if it is a bit 'hard core' for me. But for sure, it's currently in a class of one, between the enduro bikes and the adventure-styled touring bikes.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Hi Iain, long time no see. I totally agree with you which is why I'm on my second DR650, I managed to find a 2012 Aussie model with low mileage and that will keep me going for a long time yet (I hope).

European legislation is to blame, the DR650 and Honda XR650L are still available as new bikes in USA.

IMG_1565.jpg

·
Registered
742 Posts
Big singles are a dying breed, the size of the piston makes it a problem to get a complete burn leading to poor emissions and resulting in many not being able to meet new emissions laws.
Enjoy the ones you have because I don't think the Japanese will be making any more.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Hi Iain, long time no see. I totally agree with you which is why I'm on my second DR650, I managed to find a 2012 Aussie model with low mileage and that will keep me going for a long time yet (I hope).

European legislation is to blame, the DR650 and Honda XR650L are still available as new bikes in USA.

View attachment 125650
I believe the KLR650 too, Bob

Big singles are a dying breed, the size of the piston makes it a problem to get a complete burn leading to poor emissions and resulting in many not being able to meet new emissions laws.
Are you sure, manufacturers seem to be doing ok getting big twins to meet emissions.
It's probably more market (profit) led.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts