Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Any suggestions for where to look for a used XRV750 engine these days?

Looking around on eBay, it looks like almost everything is broken down and sold piece by piece. There's one complete engine, but it doesn't have any sort of history listed, and it's quite expensive for such a gamble.

I'm in the US, which makes it that much more difficult since it was never sold here.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
In my opinion there are less and less good engines and it may be better to try to sort your engine if possible.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm afraid that you might be right.

Unfortunately, I don't have an XRV750 engine! :) I actually have a very tired Transalp that I've owned for 21 years. It's got an RD04 tank, bodywork, and swingarm, XR650L forks, and a 320mm front rotor with a CBR600RR brake caliper. I bought it with only 3k miles on it and was always underwhelmed by the performance. Currently, at around 50k miles, compression seems low and performance has been an issue.

The sensible thing would be to buy a CRF1000L, but where's the fun in that? The next most sensible thing is probably to buy a Honda Hawk engine in the US and maybe do a big-bore kit.

That said, the XRV750 engine and transmission looks just about ideal for my purposes, so if anyone has any suggestions for breakers that still sell full engines, I'd appreciate any info.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I remembered the old trick of ignoring eBay's nonsense of searching 'Worldwide' and instead going straight to eBay.de. This turned up at least one complete engine. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to ship it reasonably.

If anyone has any suggestion for shipping an engine from Germany to the US, let me know. Oddly enough, it looks like you can get an entire shipping container shipped for about $2,000, but some estimates for an engine alone are over $1,000! Crazy.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
what about Hawk/Bros 650 engines the bikes were sold in US although not as powerful as AT could fit. If you have a 600 TA engine in at the moment the Bros/hawk 650 & AT 750 require different exhausts as exhaust ports are different angles, ignition? & they have another engine mounting point on top the gearbox..
Or TA650 may be a cheaper option but not US? & will probably have exhaust & ignition problems but does not have the gearbox engine mount.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the wide gear ratios of the XRV750, and I think the power and torque will match what I'm looking for.

NT650 engines are around $500. Once I add the modifications I would want, it was looking like $1500 - $2000 minimum, with basically no upper bound.

A much crazier thought was the Aprilia (Rotax) Mille engine. A compact 60 degree v-twin. A user at hawkgtforum says he fit one into a Hawk frame, but he never posted any details or photos.

Anyway, if I can get an XRV750 engine for under about $1500 all-in, it seems like the best choice.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Shoehorn in a Superhawk engine and you'll give modern Africa Twins a surprise!

This shows anything is possible with a big enough hammer and saw

This chap shows how easy it is to make a V-twin from any old Honda laying around ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

Any suggestions for where to look for a used XRV750 engine these days?

Looking around on eBay, it looks like almost everything is broken down and sold piece by piece. There's one complete engine, but it doesn't have any sort of history listed, and it's quite expensive for such a gamble.

I'm in the US, which makes it that much more difficult since it was never sold here.
Hi.
Haven't been on the forum for a while.
If you are still looking for an xrv 750 engine I have a complete ´92 RD04 engine, gearbox, starter, clutch etc all in one unit. I am doing an electric XRV and don´t have a need for it. Furthermore I have a ´92 and ´90 RD04 - so basically too many machines. It comes from Austria. I bought it last year as a "donor bike" for my electric project along with the ´90 RD04 and it has run a little more than 90.000 km. The engine is in good condition spark plugs are clean and all teeth intact on the shaft and shaft running smooth.
I am based in Denmark - so we need to sort out transportation. I can box it up in a custom wooden cradle for safe transport.
If interested contact me on [email protected] and I can send you some photos of the unit.
Jakob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts