Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  tendays 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

After a couple of years off I'm in the market for a new bike. Previously had a CG125 and an SV650, I'm after something capable of some light greenlaning this time.

On the Road/Offroad scale I'll be using it for 90-95% road - commuting and 1.5 hour motorway trips at weekends. So, it needs to be OK cruising at those speeds. All I want offroad wise is it to be capable of handling most UK greenlanes at a leisurely pace a couple of times a month.

On the shortlist are:
Pegaso
F650
Dominator
Transalp
KLE500

Wildcard:
KLR650

I think the question really is, which will be OK for the motorway and give me the best value for my £1500?

#2 · (Edited)
Benjy

With that kind of money, you should be able to get yourself a tidy Transalp or F650, or maybe even a Africa Twin that needs a bit of love.

Ignore mileage and amount of owners, just look at the overall condition (colour of the oil is a guage to how it's been cared for) and how it rides.

Condition of plastics is something to keep an eye on as chances are an off-road capable bike may have had a few tangles with hedges etc, and I will be the first in a long line of people to say to check the front sprocket shaft isn't welded on!!

Always worth keeping an eye of the FOR SALE area of the forum as well http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/bikes-sale-wanted/

Good luck, We expect pictures when you get it

:thumbup:

#3 ·
For motorway I'd say you can't go far wrong with a transalp, or possibly the KLE. The rest being singles will be a bit vibey and underpowered at motorway speeds, and will have shorter maintenance intervals. (The dommie wants fresh oil every 2000 miles.)

With F650 you mean old-style F650 funduro, not GS, right? The one without the beak. They're rumoured to be a bit revvy for a big single, a bit short on low-down grunt.

If it were me I'd go for the transalp, seems to be the safest all-round option.

#6 ·
With F650 you mean old-style F650 funduro, not GS, right? The one without the beak. They're rumoured to be a bit revvy for a big single, a bit short on low-down grunt.
Yeah I mean the Funduro. I do like the GS/Dakar actually but they're a bit above my price point.

I've been keeping an eye on the for sale section, the green TA on there would have been ideal, if I'd seen it before it sold.

Is the 650 seen as much superior to the 600 (other than styling)? Any big jobs I need to look for in the history? There don't seem to be many good ones about on eBay, Gumtree etc.

#10 ·
that's a beauty lovely colour and good tyres you cant go wrong tall screen the lot engine bars and a top box and its sorted . 40000 miles is nothing to those engins . id buy it anyway best colour I have seen them in that's a real clean looking example . I hope you get it and well wear with it if you do get it . have a look at Suzuki v strom 650 too but I think them might make a bit more money but you might be lucky lighter on petrol than the transalp they say don't know about off road . myself I think id prefer the transalp earlier Africa twins are just about in your price range better for the motorway jaunts but the transalp would be easyer manage on the green lanes but like you say you will be going handy . quite tall seat hight on the Africa twin mind so they are out of a lot of peoples reach .

#11 ·
I sold my 60K vstrom for that money a couple of months ago (with all the extras). It's a LOT better on motorways than the TA, and you can get 60mpg no problem. But the TA is better off road. Budget for crashbars if you're going laning. FWIW i think the KLE is a rubbish bike compared to the TA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.