Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not again I hear you cry. Bear with my as I think aloud :idea:

I want to get some crash bars for my 2002 AT but can't decide which ones. I have trawled through the AT Forum and have identified several makes and have drawn some conclusions:

(1) Givi - plenty of people have them but most think they are poor quality and they prevent the use of the centre stand. I have ruled this make out.

(2) Motad - again, plenty of people have them but the quality has been questioned with some examples of the bars cracking. Increased vibrations have also been mentioned. I have also ruled out this make.

(3) Rikycross - I love the crash protector and front cowl protector combination but this would end up being too expensive. Also there doesn't seem to be any dealers in the UK at the moment. I have, therefore, ruled these out.

That leaves me with the following:

(4) Africa Queens - these fit to the frame only and look like they might be easy to fit. Vibration mentioned but nothing drastic by the sound of it.

(5) Fehling - these seem to offer a lot of protection as they are a lot taller than others but only one person from the Forum seems to have them. Wondering about their quality and how easy they are to fit?

(6) Touratech - it has been mentioned that they are solid and easy to mount. They are not stainless but they are better quality than Motad. You need to replace a few engine mount bolts and cut away some plastic from the radiator guards - this seems to conflict with the "easy to fit" bit bit doesn't sound too drastic.

(7) SW-Motech - not as many in use but they sound solid and well made. Fitted in 15 minutes and easier to fit that other makes.

I'm coming round to the SW-Motech ones due to their ease of fitting. The Touratech ones sound good but are certainly more fiddly to fit. The Africa Queens ones also look good much not as much detail in the Forum on fitting so not sure how easy these will be to fit. The Fehling ones look the business but again one one person has them so not a lot of information available.

What I'm after is bars that are:

o Easy to fit
o Good build quality
o Offer good protection in a spill
o Won't increase the servicing costs because they get in the way too much

Anybody have any words of wisdom to help me make up my mind?

Thanks for listening, if you haven't fallen asleep already that is :sleepy2:

Tony

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jvaughan said:
What finish are you looking for ?
Chromed / polished stainless or Black ?
I don't mind. Black would be easier to maintain if scratched I guess but my main criteria is any listed in my post - I wouldn't want to sacrifice these for the finish.

Tony

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I've got the Mo-tech ones and they fitted quickly and I've never, ever had to take one off for maintenance in 5 years. I've also been hit by a car whilst filtering and they only got scuffed, I stayed upright and the car lost most of it's wing. Finish seems to be holding up to my non cleaning regime, no rust or anything.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YEN_POWELL said:
I've got the Mo-tech ones and they fitted quickly and I've never, ever had to take one off for maintenance in 5 years. I've also been hit by a car whilst filtering and they only got scuffed, I stayed upright and the car lost most of it's wing. Finish seems to be holding up to my non cleaning regime, no rust or anything.
That sounds very promising, thanks for taking the time to post a reply. I don't suppose you remember where you ordered them from?

Thanks,

Tony

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Touratech - it has been mentioned that they are solid and easy to mount. They are not stainless but they are better quality than Motad. You need to replace a few engine mount bolts and cut away some plastic from the radiator guards - this seems to conflict with the "easy to fit" bit bit doesn't sound too drastic.
Being inept, I was a bit worried, but actually it was easy. It's worth having a spare pair of hands so you're not trying to hold the crash bar in place and also fit bolts, but I'm sure that's true of any make.

Replacing the engine mount bolts is no bother; the engine is held by lots, so nothing bad happens when you pull one out. The crash bars come with replacement bolts of the right length.

The plastic thingy in front of the radiators (what is it for anyway?) is easily cut; it's quite thin plastic, and it's not solid. I used a pseudo-Dremel type thing, done in a jiffy.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
That sounds very promising, thanks for taking the time to post a reply. I don't suppose you remember where you ordered them from?

Thanks,

Tony
Strangely no. Tried Hein Gericke but seem to remember had to cancel cos they were so useless.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Givi bars don't affect the use of the centre stand, don't get in the way when servicing and mines protected the bike 100% in a low speed spill and look like new after a quick touch up with black hammerite they are also as well made as the bike is! They are also by far the cheapest.(You see alot of them in Scotland and Yorkshire lol) :brave:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I can feel one of fewtrees polls coming on that might help the decision!? Like the tyre one but about crash bars.

I'll look in to it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Tony I have GIVI Crashbars fitted to my 1999 @ . They are quite straight forward to fit , It took about an hour to fit mine that included getting them out of the shrink wrap . If the finish starts to go on them you only need to take out two bolts and loosen the bracket on the front down tube to remove them. Drop them into your local Powder coatings shop .I had to do this with the GIVI bars i had on my TRANSALP about five years later they were still good as new, The cost was around £20 . You can put your @ on the centre stand take off the belly pan WITH the crashbars fitted as they do not get in the way. P.S. If you do a search for GIVI crashbars i have given a run down what you need to do to fit them along with a few pictures. fw600vj

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so it looks like Givi are back on the list. Arrrggghh! I was supposed to be narrowing things down, not adding more possibilites :crybaby:

Tony

·
Mr
59 Posts
I think you should consider the Touratech bars.
They are the most streamlined of the lot and although they are probably the most expensive they are the most well constructed.
They are also fiddlier to fit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all who have responded and shared word of wisdom. I'm still umming and arring (crap at making decisions) but I do like the look of the Fehling bars, although they are huge. The price of the Givi ones are attractive and there are a few satisfied customers out there.

I'll let you know what I decide, if I ever do :dontknow:

Tony

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 94 @ is fitted with Motad Crash Bars, they have already saved the plastics when i slipped whilst parking, i havent noticed any increase in vibration and they seem to be of reasonable quality . I think some of other bars are more suited to a Land Rover.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm coming round to the SW-Motech bars. I have ruled out the Givi ones as they attach near the footpegs and I do seem to keep my foot well on the pegs so I can see them getting in the way. The Fehling bars use the fairing mount point at the bottom of the fuel tank as an attach point so I'm not sure how the tank would fair on impact - don't fancy a bent tank.

Does anyone with SW-Motech bars have any idea where they are available in the UK? Or even a friendly overseas dealer?

Thanks,

Tony

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fewtrees said:
I can now vouch for motad crash bars. I dropped the bike over the weekend and the crashbars took it all. No plastics bent! So they've already earned their money!
Motad were my (close) 2nd choice and may be promoted if they are easier to get hold of. I was put off by the quality of the welds that people seem to be reporting, but it sounds like, that with a bit of effort, they can be made to look better.

Where and how do the bars mount to at the front? Was fitting them easy(ish)? Oh, and where did you get them from and how much?

Thanks,

Tony

1 - 20 of 43 Posts