Honda XRV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
As Alan says, good sturdy bars mounted to sturdy brackets that are attached to several strong points on the bike (ie NOT the belly pan bracket!) & comes highish up the side fairing to protect the rads.
The ability to remove the fairing without having to remove the bars.
Maybe the option of front, underheadlight brace/rack?
And fitment without chopping the original plastics.
Maybe small loops on the sides to mount soft luggage bags?
And a thick, durable finish.

All without them weighing a ton or costing a fortune :)

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
31 Posts
Better than grave.cz crash bars for £160... that's potentially an exciting prospect...

Roughly - how long do you think it would take for a set to land in my lap..?

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
Better than grave.cz crash bars for £160... that's potentially an exciting prospect...

Roughly - how long do you think it would take for a set to land in my lap..?
OK - don't forget this is British manufactured - so normal time doesn't apply......:rolleyes:

From when we get the bike - (which will probably be mid May at the earliest - allow a couple of weeks to get a set mocked up, and then 4-6 weeks to get the batch manufactured - so I would say realistically sometime in July. :thumbright:

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
OK - so we will have a bike to use - cheers Sean :thumbright:

Now - over to all you XL650V owners - what are you looking for in a set of crashbars - what works?, what doesn't?, what must have features?

We're starting with a blank piece of paper, so the more info you can give us the better we can make them.
Crashbar features: General consensus seems to be Grave / AQ's offer the best protection - so something along those lines? Ability to remove fairing with bars on woud be good. :thumbright: Suitable points for mounting extra lights, strap loops for mounting bags, etc wuld be a bonus.

Any chance of measuring up for an aluminium bashplate with full under engine coverage while you have a TA? My Givi bars give a modicum of underbelly protection (tested at Galloway Forest :D), so changing them for something that gives better rad protection but nothing under the engine would mean I'd be needing a more rugged bashplate. TBH, even if were to stick with the Givi's, a better bashplate is probably required.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Aha! My enormous amount of experience crashing transalps comes in useful!

When you properly crash with graves bars, they dent the box section bit of the frame at the front where they attach as the 1cm diameter bar hits the frame pretty hard. A large plug which is in constant contact with the frame would make sense there- I've been meaning to shove something like a hockey puck between the bar and the frame on mine. Since the graves bars only attach in two points (low down on the front box bit of the frame, and by the footpegs) they do have a tendency to bend from one side to the other- during a crash they can impact the plastics. IMO two mounts on the front box bit of the frame would be good.

Something that encourages the bike to not tip all the way would be lovely? So, wider at the top than the bottom. It's a heavy beast, and picking it up when it's beyond horizontal is just not funny.

Be careful with the mounting spot by the footpegs. DONT have it mounted over the little plate on the frame on the RHS, as guess what happens when you crash! Also, you may want to check that they don't get in the way- my graves bars rub my left boot which is a bit annoying.

I think the ideal crashbars for the TA would look a LOT like those of an AT.

Something like that but with the top front frame mount also attaching to the frame like the bottom one would have me selling my graves.

A stainless option would be great, for those of us who just know we're going to crash and don't want to bring out the hammerite every time.

Light mounting points would be great as long as they're a) mounted so that in a crash the lights don't get bent into your plastics/rads and b) not horrendously expensive (or optional)

Edit: Just seen the rugged road crash bars for the AT. Exactly like that please :)

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/africa-twin/80696-africa-twin-crash-bars-ruggedroads.html

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I was quoted 15 days for the AQ ones. I took that to mean 15 working days which is up tomorrow I think
AQ now say it could be another 3 weeks. Their main man is on holiday at the moment so can't give me an accurate ETA. I've cancelled my order as I specifically asked how long it would be before placing it. As 6 weeks is a lot longer than 15 days, I'm not best pleased but I did wonder at the time whether 15 days was somewhat optimistic.

Oh well, only been looking at crash bars since last August :rolleyes:

Interesting comments about the Grave bars from Jarl. The Rugged Roads AT bar mountings look nice and solid so if the TA bars are of similar build quality then they should be just the job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just when I was thinking - July delivery doesn't bode well for my June plans - and maybe I'll get some Africa Queens - but I'll wait and see if Alans arrive on time... it all goes tits up...

Who would think that getting some crash bars that work on a TA would be such hard work... maybe I'll give up - flog it & get a ktm...

·
Tenacious Member
1,435 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Resist!

·
Registered
31 Posts
...I daren't go anywhere near Boboneleg 'cos he'll persuade me to have a go on his 950 and then I'll be doomed :iconbiggrin:
He's sold his TA and got a ktm..?

He's still posting on this forum isn't he..?

Seems like a strong emotional attachment..?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Bob had an RD04, sold it to me and bought a KTM 950. He has since bought an RD03 and sold it and then bought a Transalp and sold it. He doesn't show any sign of parting company with the KTM and is a bad influence on me.

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
Sorry :( (that's Murphy's Law kicking in...............just like when I buy the latest bit of electronic kit, ........................a week before they announce a new model..........!! :mrgreen::mrgreen: )

Just to add to this - for anyone that is willing to let us have an XL650V for a couple of weeks, we do have a fully sorted 1150GS as a loan bike if your's is daily transport. :thumbup:
Ooohhh.... just seen this thread. I'd love to get some decent crash bars that I can actually afford!! Please put me down for a set.

And if there's any probs with borrowing Sean's bike then I'm sure mine would love to go on a little 2 week holiday.... not that I really want to have a go on a BMW for a couple of weeks....... honest....;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
AlanH: If you'd like to have a chat about other options over a coffee - I pass by Bristol quite often... I'd send you a PM but for some reason that feature seems to be disabled on my account - maybe you can send me one..?

·
Site Admin
2,420 Posts
I'll cross post from another thread to explain..............

I can understand your frustration Alan :( We had a good long look at a variety of bars, over a good few gallons of coffee - and decided that we couldn't come up with bars that added anything extra to what is already available.

We don't like to mount bars to the actual engine casing or see the point in using a weak mounting point, and whatever we make we try to make it aesthetically pleasing - which we couldn't do with bars for the 650.
  • The Graves bars are good - the only ones with a rear mount - but we didn't like the way the rear mount is fixed around the main down spar.
  • The Holan (Touratech) bars look good, but it's quite a complicated set of brackets and they are mounted direct onto the engine block. Also not a lot of space to remove the fairings with them mounted.
  • The SW Motech bars we thought were too small, and you have to adapt the rad guards
  • The Givi bars - we thought the mounting points very weak
  • Hepco & Becker - again seem too small to be effective, and the rear lower mount is really weak
So all in all - lots of manufacturers coming up with different designs - but none of them ticked all the boxes - and after spending a lot of time doodling and head scratching, we couldn't see a way to make a set of strong bars, that didn't look like someone had thrown a bunch of scaffolding at the bike, and at a competitive price (if money were no objection then we could come up with some really nice machined and welded brackets for front & rear mounts)............so Rugged Roads Transalp XL650V Crashbars are off the R&D menu..........sorry :(

So - back on topic now.........:thumbup:

61 - 80 of 97 Posts