Honda XRV Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'll cross post from another thread to explain..............
I understand the issues. It is a shame really as we could have done with a decent alternative. The Graves bars are apparently unobtainable now and the Ricky Cross/AQ seems flaky on availability timescales and a bit hit or miss on quality. Not sure where to go from here.

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I understand the issues. It is a shame really as we could have done with a decent alternative. The Graves bars are apparently unobtainable now and the Ricky Cross/AQ seems flaky on availability timescales and a bit hit or miss on quality. Not sure where to go from here.
I'm sure there was some angle-iron left over when you pulled down your old garage :-D

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Not sure about that upper mount under the headlight although doesn't the Touratech one have something similar? The price seems very keen. Anyone seen one of these in the flesh? For the price they must be better than what I've got at the moment which is nothing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm still confused about what's wrong with the Africa twin / Ricky cross ones. following a trip to Spain across the Andorra smugglers route I managed to get cross rutted and dropped the bike hard on compact mud / rocky terrain, bars did their job perfectly and no damage to any other part of the bike, slight scuff on the bars.

The above look ok but can't see a support between the cylinders which I now consider essential, otherwise yer faring is going to get crushed if they fold over.

DSC04042.jpg

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The Ricky Cross ones were meant to arrive and didn't. There wasn't a firm delivery date available on contacting Africa Queens. I had also heard reports of ill-fitting bars with mounts that didn't line up properly and dubious looking welds (cosmetic rather than functional issues most likely). Taking all that into consideration along with their price, I decided to give them a miss in favour of the Rugged Roads option.

I can see there is no bracing between cylinders on the Heed ones but it could be an easy add-on for a few quid if the rest of the bars are fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ah right, gotcha. im no expert on welding but happy with mine,fit seemed spot on as well. Good luck, pictures when they arrive!

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
As the Rugged Roads ones aren't happening then it's really a choice now between getting custom copies of the Grave bars done, re-ordering the Ricky Cross ones or taking a punt on the Heed ones. There is talk of replicas of the Grave bars being done elsewhere but the price rather depends on the number of takers. Current pricing from Oakley's engineering contacts looks like this:

1 unit - £500 + VAT
5 units - £350 + VAT
10 units - £230 + VAT

Not cheap but should be well built. May be worth asking around a few other fabricators too.

If there were 10 takers, it could be do-able but less than that and it's in the realms of buying cheaper bars and using the savings to repair any bits they don't manage to protect. I primarily want them to protect the radiators as I have a set of "$hiteoldbodywork" and gaffer tape just in case I go on one of Boboneleg's "road" rides.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just fitted a set of Heavyduties crashbars. Fitted easily, other than getting the centre stand springs back on the stand, the usual pig of a job. Mounts all lined up where they should. Enough space to get the plastic sump guard off/on OK.
Slide3.JPG

·
Registered
31 Posts
Heed look suspiciously cheap... have they just popped up on ebay..? Didn't see them before...

Heavyduties: Found the website - but couldn't find any prices... hope you don't mind if I ask about price, shipping cost & time..?

do they offer protection to the upper fairing..?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I had the tour bars they do Adv (adventure?) bars that offer more upper protection see difference on website pictures. The tour bars were 70E + 44E p&p the Adv bars are 130 E + p&p (>44 I assume). They did offer cheaper shipping to London 25 E if you pick up from London, not worthwhile for me, probably not for you in Wilts.
Mail them and they will send you prices, generally not instant response usually 2-3 days for a reply. When ordered they quoted up to two weeks before posting but they mailed me after a few days to say they were ready. Postage quick they were posted 18/6/ arrived locally (Gloucester) 25/6 I was away so did not get them delivered until today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had a similar situation! But I was looking for answers on various forums! And after a few days I solved this problem!

81 - 97 of 97 Posts