Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
'06 Transalp
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right.
Which is the correct grease for lubing bits that are in close contact with rubber? Copper grease seems to effect the rubber and makes it soft and floppy (ooer). I think it's the white grease but does anybody know / recommend a brand to get?

cheers
rob

ps. merry christmas to all & sod off if you're offended by the word 'christmas'. i ain't going to wish you all a 'merry winterval'!!! pc gone maaaaadddddd!!!

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Vaseline is best for lubing the rubber itself, it depends what your doing, usual recommendation with seals is to use whatever fluid it is you're trying to seal, so brake fluid for brake seals, fork oil for fork seals, etc.
LM grease is a good general purpose grease, but should you be using grease or oil? dunno, depends what you're doing :?

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
Vaseline is petroleum jelly and will rot rubber, even if it lubricates it well in the first place.

Use silicone grease to lube rubber - and conversely, petroleum grease to lube silicone rubber if you ever have to.

Silicone grease is the substance of choice for thisngs like rubber o-rings and gaskets or "wiper" seals etc. that have to seal in fluids, or be airtight etc. And it's easy to clean off too.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
You can get a pot of silicone grease from a plumbers merchants.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
severs said:
Vaseline is petroleum jelly and will rot rubber, even if it lubricates it well in the first place.
Depends on the compound if it's natural rubber it should be Ok if it's synthetic rubber (i.e. petroleum based) it will eat it, if in doubt don't use it :wink:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
FatFergie said:
if it's natural rubber it should be Ok if it's synthetic rubber
em..........I think it's the other way around
No, a lot of compounds cause natural rubber to embrittle and harden which causes cracking, but I don't think vaseline is one, it does affect oil based compounds though because it acts like a solvent and leaches the oil compounds out.

BUT like I said best thing to use is whatever you're sealing against especially for brake seals, because whatever you put on these will have some effect on the brake fluid.

and if you're not using it on a seal what do you need to lubricate it for anyhow?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why not try Castrol Red Rubber Grease. It does exactly what it says on the tin. And no, its not just for red rubber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts