Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Bubblearch 
#1 ·
looked at 650 , think it would suit her better as lighter 191kg v 215kg but second hand prices for 650,s vary so much 2002 ...2350pounds? I saw advertised to 2006 high milers for 2700 pounds. Have seen low miler 2008 xv700 for 3495 pounds would appreciate views of experienced members primarily to do long distance work

#2 ·
Advertised prices and what they actually make are two different things, and its definitely the right time of year to haggle over price.
Iv'e had a 650 for over nine years now its a great bike, the 700 is injected as against carbs gives more BHP and is probably more economical
something to consider if doing big mileages, but then again my 650 ridden at lower speeds with a gentle right hand gets over 60MPG its only at higher motorway speeds it starts to drink more heavily. never had a FI bike yet ---- still like carbs

From what Iv'e gathered on here the 700 might be a bit heavier but the bike feels smaller something to think about if you are tall like me in fact something to consider for either I had to move the footrests to fit into the 650 but shouldn't be a problem to most people :)

#3 ·
I made the change from the 650 to 700 earlier this year.

650=58-65mpg 700=62-74mpg

I'm 6' 3" and prefer the seat height of the 650 but the 700 has better brakes, milage, firmer suspension.
The fuel injection makes a big difference.
700 is quicker on the acceleration, although mine has a straight through Leo Vince exhaust system.

Hope this helps
Graeme

#5 ·
Hi, thanks for your kind offer, think she has sat on 700 before.... problem is her low speed riding skills are crap! its always at low speed or on adverse camber that it goes over. Had xj900(my old work bike) as first bike then vfr800 for 10 yrs.Only concern is ? will she complain about lack of power, can it cruise easily at 75-80 although most of riding done on twisty roads .Was thinking of 650 in range of 2000-2500pounds as probably may drop it engine crash bars will be fitted in ernest +don't want it to sit in garage unused as vfr did for 3 years because neck hurt when she rode it.

#6 ·
Depends what you/she wants.
The 700 certainly has livelier performance, feels smaller & lighter too.
Are you sure the weights are correct & that you are not comparing dry vs wet. Remember, abs would add another few kgs - another benefit of the 700, if you want the security of abs....
Prices for 650s seem to be holding quite firm but like you say vary without any kind of logic.

Good luck with the search :)

#8 ·
What's best for The Beloved ?

5'9" Girlfriend has enthusiastically taken to motorcycling.
During the last nine months, she has ridden an assortment of machinery, from single 125cc, through TTR250, DRZ400, a training school 500cc across the frame four, my V-twin TA 650, and the training school Kawasaki 650 en/er parallel twin.

Her main concern seems to have been that she feels most comfortable aboard a motorcycle that she is able to get both feet flat on the floor when stationary.
Much to her surprise, and my delight, and much to her delight, and my surprise, as she has practiced, covered more road miles, has increased her riding experience, she seems to feel most confident riding the training school's 650 Kawasaki !

Trying a variety of motorcycles, in a no pressure situation, is the thing.

But, I shall, of course, insist that, once she passes her final test, the 650 TA is best.

#10 ·
The Transalp 700 that I bought about 8 months ago had been lowered about an inch or so on the suspension by the dealer.I'm around the 5'9" mark and find that I can easily put my feet down on the road at a standstill. The only drawback being that it's almost impossible to haul it onto the centre stand. I'm seriously thinking of getting it back to the standard settings.

Nick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.