Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the gear I own. Gear reviews done after 5 minutes are no real use so thought it might be nice to get some reviews from others
my old frank Thomas £120 is about 7 years old a heavy beast it never leaked but would gain even more weight and take years to dry out both side pockets are dead time to retire it.
my newer frank Thomas roman £40 in a sale is a lighter longer touring jacket that kept me dry for the last 2 years and is warm but has no vents and the winter liner is not removable
my newest frank Thomas mesh £80 is fantastic for sun but as soon as the sun hides you better be wearing a jumper underneath
I have a brand new spada Dakar £160 that is too small that I hear is a great jacket so maybe weight loss time.
I would like a light weight touring jacket with removable liner and vents Im thinking the Dakar might be my best hope but open to ideas
I always looked at reviews and found that a spada jacket can stop the rain as well as a rukka im just not sure how it all got to be frank Thomas though

glove wise I learnt after 15 years that enough is enough bite the bullet pay the price and I brought alpinestars drystars £90
fantastic in all but subzero temps and that's why I got acrebis guards to fit soon.

boots wise I needed a set quickly for my mod 1 so borrowed my dads FT aquaforce great except the gear guard is sewn on and has worn away to reveal stiches which turns the left foot into a bucket yuck.
was looking at spada thunder £60 or tcx infinity £250
im very very tempted to use my newrock goth boots but not sure they will get under the lever.
the thing about new rocks is they last about 10 years and never let water in.

for over trousers I have had a lot of failures so today brought a set of Flexothane Classic Hi Vis Trousers used by workmen
they stretch a lot and go over boots easy and have a good foul weather E code rating whatever that means £22 delivered

would boosting my height off the seat prevent me sitting in a puddle of water? why don't seats have drain holes in them?
So what gear do you have how long have you had it for and what did it cost?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I only just bought a weise over jacket and I love it I cant vouch for it waterproofness yet but ride magazine gives them best buy award buts its a beauty real easy put on and it look very cool . I got a richa rain warrior trousers and its a load of bollocks ugly looking thing with big stupid looking logo's on the legs its almost new and from day one leaks at the crouch its only saveing grace is the Velcro fastners at the leg ends its fine for light rain but I plow on in down pours sometimes I ride for 3 hours in non stop rain . I also have a spada one piece it works very well at keeping me dry and a bit of extra warmth in the winter its a bit of a nightmare to put on at the side of the road the leg zips are a pain and you have to be real careful not to catch them . I have it 4 years and id give it 5 stars . I wear a leather jacket with lots of pads summer and winter either with a t shirt or lots of layers its plenty big enough . I have a richa textile too but its too small to fit enough layers in the winter and I sweat like pig in the hot weather and its no good in the rain and the Velcro gave up on the sleeves and down the front and on the collar over a load of old bollocks but it looks cool . as for trousers I wear denim jeans when I can ifs it a little cooler baggy jeans with long johns and track suit bottoms under or leather western style jeans a black ski/snowboarding quilted trousers and over trousers if its raining . para boots have never failed me yet and I wear gloves too bikers penrith they are warm and dry but a bit hard to get on so I only use them when I need to other wise I use my 13 year old swift leather winter gloves still going strong even after a few crashes . I had to patch them up on the thumbs with leather but I love them so much I would hate to be without them .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
para boots what are they?
you sound like me with my gear collection I need to loose some jackets though I really don't need all of them.
I patched the frank Thomas boots they stich the gear patch on and when the edge wears out it reveals the stitching wicking in water
either that or its the front material bit but I hope not. clear silicone sealant and im trying the newrocks tomorrow

·
Golam Rosewater
1,444 Posts
Try to avoid rain, so don't really have dedicated stuff.

A cheap two-piece Wulfsport suit from ebay fits over my regular riding kit with ease.

My 8 year old Alpinestars Dyno Textile jacket is still going strong. 11 year old HG Turang boots are still waterproof but are now missing a buckle/strap.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
I use a two piece set up for the suit

Trousers - Gelert walking over pants - zip up to knee and wide boot leg with velcro flap - £10 and they fit in their own small pouch

Jacket - Decathlon cycling jacket - variety of colours with reflective design on the arms - good snug fit over motorbike jacket with no flappy bits, also vented so when you are travelling slowly in wet humid weather you don't cook - £10 and best of all it folds up and fits inside the trousers pouch above - complete waterproof in a pack the size of a can of pop

Gloves - Mountain Equipment Guide Gloves - these are mountaineering / climbing gloves and are totally waterproof / wind proof and dexterity is perfect - they are heavy fleece lined (think inside of sheepskin flying jacket type fleece) all the way to the fingertips - don't need heated grips in negative temperatures and are useable in low temperatures

If warmer but not summer I just use a pair from Lidl / Aldi £15 - totally waterproof / windproof

Summer - just use motocross gloves - £35 - you get wet but they dry very quickly and no faffing about trying to get your fingers back in when you've stopped and your hands are wet putting the gloves back on

Boots - Oxtar Infinity - totally waterproof and warm - looked after with Renepur

All modelled below and tested extensively without failure in 8 days of riding from 8-10 hrs per day in snow and torrential rain see this thread

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/25-ride-reports/236589-pyrenees-2013-spanish-cornering-skills-school.html

P1050543.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah a proper biker no stopping for rain or snow. the oxtar are the same company as the tcx infinity apparently.
I hear they are very good but a killer price tag. nice idea with the gloves

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yep, the Oxtars are the same as the TCXs...I know cos I've got one of each!! But they're brilliant; Comfy, not too hot in te European summer, warm in the cooler months, and totally dry. I just slap some Kiwi or the German equivalent on 'em occasionally. I paid 120€ for them I think, due to the fact they were different sizes and manufacturer...but they fit me so I was quite happy :D

Jacket; Polo Drive Mohawk. Available from the German company Polo Motorrad. They have dealers all over Germany and are also online. Heavy jacket with protectors in, warm when it's cool, and dry when it rains. Quilted liner that's removeable and a waterproof liner that's not removeable which makes it a bit warm when the sun is beating down. Lots of buffalo leather reinforcement. Only minus point is the velcro on the cuffs is crap... Price is reasonable too at around 250€. Highly recommended!

Trousers; Just bought the same model trews as the jacket, to replace my very comfy but not waterproof Modeka AFT ones. They were also not very warm even with the liners in, but conversely not toooo warm when it warmed up a bit. The Mohawk trousers haven't really had a good test yet apart from a 300km run out in 28deg C... I'll report back in due course.

Gloves; Hmm, had a pair of ProBiker PR-9s(?) from HG which were great but eventually split and wore out. Useless when it was a tad fresh, but brilliant in the Turkish summer! Wouldn't have liked to have crashed palm down in them, but the back armour saved me in a couple of low speed falls off road.
Haven't found a cool weather glove that stays dry and is warm. I ride in a pair of Mountain Equipment something or others when it's cold, but they leak in the rain. Wouldn't really like to come off in them as there's no protection whatsoever. Toasty warm though:thumbright:

Oh and an XRV Buff, and an assortment of fleece buffs/balaclavas when it gets nippy;) Bt then I'm usually somewhere warm for the deepest winter:D

·
Registered
755 Posts
Two pairs of boots :)

I hate wet feet, if you think about it, you could walk around pretty muck nekkid in most situations outdoors if it's warm (modesty aside) except for shoes and boots - tarmac, broken glass, dogshit etc; - I'm OK with being soaked thru everywhere else if my feets are dry :)

2014-05-29 21.42.03.jpg

·
Adventure Biker Trainee
29 Posts
Spring/summer:

Alpinestars royal airflow mesh jacket, kevlar jeans or Dianese galverstones goretex trousers with Icon ankleboots, new style Army goretex boots or sidi vertigos and short motocross leather gloves.

Autumn/winter:

Ixon leather jacket or Alpinestars new land goretex jacket with Dianese galverstones trousers, spada predator gloves with new style army goretex boots or sidi vertigos.

In my fairly shortish riding time my trial & error, lessons learnt is very slowly improving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I refuse to put spada on my feet or my hands. I hear a lot about the boots leaking and the enforcers failed the visor down tests badly I got the drystars and my instructor got the richa cold protects. both great gloves but no matter the cost they all start taking weight after a while. Im considering muffs as I know that keeping water off is the best solution.
I would like hand guards I have something very similar to acerbic dual guards with the lights but they hit my screen on full lock damn
My new rock boots leaked badly one foot and I was in a rush to get something so went into sportsdirect and got Dunlop rigger boots.
put them on filled up the bath and stood in it and wow for the £15 they are wicked light easy on and off and very waterproof plus you can buy many pairs for the cost of one pair of leaking decent boots.
they also don't notice when a van hits you in the side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts