Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My other half bought me a camera for xmas but to be honest i didn't really need one so she returned it for a refund and i quite fancy a bike Sat Nav instead.I've been looking at the TomTom Rider V5,TomTom Rider 400 and the Garmin Zumo 660,has anyone got any of these or what others would you guys recommend from previous experience? Any info appreciated.:)

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I have. Zumo 660. It includes the lifetime map updates for Europe. My last sat nave was a Zumo 550, so it was a natural progression for me.
I have navigated accross Europe with both of them. I use it in the car/camper an as well as the bike. I think the other makes are probably as good, it's just a case of familiarity of use. I tend to use it without audio on the bike with no real problems.
The 660 has a larger screen and that was a major choice factor for me. Very expensive though so mine arrived as a present instead of socks.
If it was lost or stolen I would definatly buy another one.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
If you're staying on tarmac the ones you are looking at will be fine

If you plan to venture off road then the Garmin Montana 600 will do all of the above but also cope better for offroad as it can store far more waypoints

You can pick up the units for around £280 then add maps. The Montana is a hand held unit aswell that will run on 3 x AA batteries

·
Registered
7,675 Posts
I bought a bike a while ago, the seller gave me a Zumo 660 as the mount & everything was already wired in, I was quite chuffed at first but soon found out what a woeful, user unfriendly contraption it was, after perseveriing for 9 months I sold it & bought a TomTom rider & never looked back.

Like all things in life, it depends what you want and what you want it to do :)

phil

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably only going to be tarmac rides,i have a Garmin for the car so i am familiar with Garmins but the TomToms get good reviews,the TomTom V5 seems to be a good unit for the money although it is an older model,i do like the lane assist and junction view with the Car Garmin i have which i assume the Zumo 660 has,do the TomToms have that feature?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
It's probably only going to be tarmac rides,i have a Garmin for the car so i am familiar with Garmins but the TomToms get good reviews,the TomTom V5 seems to be a good unit for the money although it is an older model,i do like the lane assist and junction view with the Car Garmin i have which i assume the Zumo 660 has,do the TomToms have that feature?
The 660 has lane assist. Really useful especially whe abroad.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I bought a bike a while ago, the seller gave me a Zumo 660 as the mount & everything was already wired in, I was quite chuffed at first but soon found out what a woeful, user unfriendly contraption it was, after perseveriing for 9 months I sold it & bought a TomTom rider & never looked back.

Like all things in life, it depends what you want and what you want it to do :)

phil
That's what I meant about familiarity. I struggle with the TomTom kit provided by work and often bring the Garmin in.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a tom tom 400, I always thought that is was bollox to purchase a bike specific sat nav as I was coping quite well with a dead basic model in a waterproof container. My mate showed me his and it just blew my mind so splurged out and got one. They do have lane assist and also pretty awesome for taking you out on unplanned rides. You can set the level of twist ids and also the level of hill climbs etc. Once it's paired with your smartphone it gets pretty impressive on the live updates. Yes it's pricey but you can start off with the 40 and it's perfectly good. The 400 is just lifetime updates etc.
All in I would have no problems recommending one and would definitely get another if I lost it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought a TomTom v5 last summer before heading to Spain and France very happy with it. I still loke paper maps for planning but the sat nav was brilliant for estimating travel times. Winding roads option brill too took me to places I never would have found!

Sent from my GT-I9195I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Tomtom products are usually good only if riding tarmac exclusively. Garmins are more adventurous, and you can install free OSM maps.
I

·
Midlife pah done that
1,107 Posts
I struggled with the 400, being used to garmin. Got a 400 which I will be selling if you want to borrow it and try it out. I've gone back to garmin with a 590.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts
I bought a TomTom Rider 2013 and am happy with it. I plan routes in Tyre then import them in. Got lane assist which my Navman hasn't and that's great.
:thumbright:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I struggled with the 400, being used to garmin. Got a 400 which I will be selling if you want to borrow it and try it out. I've gone back to garmin with a 590.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
PM sent Nev regarding satnav.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts