Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a good stud extractor?

Something which is not too expensive and gets the job done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Vice grips .......cheap.......gets the job done

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Two nuts tightened against each other and then use a normal ring spanner or socket.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
banger said:
Sounds painfull Yen :cherry:
Knew as soon as I typed it someone would say that. Trust me though it works really well if you need to remove a stud. Blimey that sounds worse....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for advise guys but the stud is too far in - not a bit sticking out.

I too didn't mean this to sound dodgy :grommit: but everything related to studs and extractors is...

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
kiroh said:
Thanks for advise guys but the stud is too far in - not a bit sticking out.

I too didn't mean this to sound dodgy :grommit: but everything related to studs and extractors is...
Oh a broken one. You need an Eaziout extractor. Go to a proper engineering shop, tell them the diameter of the offending stud and they will sell you a good quality eaziout of the correct size with matching drill bit. You'll need a tap wrench to use the extractor.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
YEN_POWELL said:
Oh a broken one. You need an Eaziout extractor. Go to a proper engineering shop, tell them the diameter of the offending stud and they will sell you a good quality eaziout of the correct size with matching drill bit. You'll need a tap wrench to use the extractor.
Cheers Yen,

When you say proper engineering shop, you obviously don't mean Halfords?

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
Good god no. I used to go to a place in Chadwell Heath called......, no it's gone. But I'll find out cos I believe it's part of a chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
kiroh said:
Any recommendations for a good stud extractor?

If the stud is broken off bellow the surface it can be tricky. you need to put a good centre punch mark right in the middle of the stud before you drill it. If its off to one side it can all go wrong. I think you can get the extractors you need from the machine mart or screwfix web sites. Also a bit of heat can help.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
kiroh said:
Drill a small diameter hole into the remains of the stud. Heat the area around the stud. Then hammer an old Philips screwdriver into the hole. Unscrew the remains of the stud.

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
How about 2 lads buying RM250s to do a bit of Motocross.
The sensible one invests in a Suzuki manual and they go racing.........
service the bikes by the book including torque settings.............
but tighten the gearbox oil sump plugs by the spanner-size measurement rather than the bolt thread diameter.........
Basically we mega-tightened them and they went pop.

After consulting Suzuki and buying an EZ-out kit we turned the bikes upside down...........tried to drill a pilot hole in the plugs but this span them into the engine. How we laughed - Ha Ha Hur
Mr Vic Eastwood of Swanley, two engine strips please Sir!

Bugger
Should've posted this in 'View from the shed' as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where from is the best place to buy replacement bolts for the AT? It's the ones which I've broken and trying to extract/replace.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tikka said:
Did you get it out or is it still in??
Still in, but I'm planning to do something about it this weekend. Bought a secondhand set of stud extractors from eBay for £6 and it's waiting in the garage, ready to be used. Not sure how it works exactly, but by the looks of it I need to drill a little whole in the stud and then force the extractor into it and undo the the broken bolt.

It's one of the four bolts which holds the metal arch, under the front mudguard, between the two forks. Any idea where to get it from :?:

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Pfffttt :laughing3:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Best place for replacement bolts is your local Honda dealer , if you order one day you normally get them next day,they are not cheap! :(

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mal said:
Best place for replacement bolts is your local Honda dealer , if you order one day you normally get them next day,they are not cheap! :(
That's what I've head too - cost their weight in gold. Even David Silver spares can't get them cheap.

Has anyone got them from eBay? Seem to remember it from a discussion before.

Looking at the microfishes expected to see some kind of part number or similar, but couldn't find any. Don't I need to give them a part number when ordering over the phone?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts