Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have got my next door neighbour coming round to weld my frame loop in place today :wav:
Now he claims to be be a qualified smed....(danish for blacksmith) so I hope he knows what he is doing. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.
I got my hands on a mig welding set and he said he has a tig welder he can borrow from his dad.
With me being a cabinet maker by trade ,I dont know the difference.:D:D:D
Could one of you learned chaps clue me in as which one is the best to choose just in case he has about as much of a clue as I have :thumbup:
I have checked my home insurance and I dont think it covers welding bike frames in your living room.....:clown::clown::clown:
I will post pictures if we dont burn the place down.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I'd go for the tig every time providing he can use it. the mig leaves a lump that has to be ground away to make things neat afterwards the tig uses the metal your welding topped up with a rod a bit like gas welding leaving a much neater weld with less work to tidy up after :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just watched him tig weld it up and he looked like he was a bit out of practice.
We had to boost the lekky power from our laundry room because it was an industrial apparatus he had that couldnt be just plugged into the wall.
My gaff didnt burn down and tomorrow I will clean the weld up a bit and paint it ready for installing the rear Norton mudguard and anything else that needs to be done to get this thing pissing the other neighbours off.:thumbup:

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Having completed a beginners welding course last year, I bought an arc welder.
I wanted to spend max £200 and got the best.
But, if you want to do a lot of thin metal then tig.
All round? Pay decent money for a mig.
Yes my arc is great quality but really for at least 3mm metal, no good for car bodies. I wanted to make brackets etc.
If I were into car welding, tig. Mig makes it easier if you're learning, but if I were just doing car bodies as said, tig.

Just to clarify my Arc purchase. I wanted the best for £200. You can buy mig for that, but just starting models.

If I'd had £400, I would have bought mig.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont plan to buy any welding equipment as I dont know how to use it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My neighbour did a good job for me and all I have to do is help him service his bike once in a while.:D
Sorry about the bad picture quality from my non smart phone
My shock is adjusted to handle my lard arse and its nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel after two years.:blob8::blob7::blob8:

11026471_1121603277855688_1019079794_n.jpg

·
Registered
942 Posts
another step closer ,must be practically there now ,
I did most of the welding on my bike with an oxy acetylene set up , I bought a tig welder about a year back mainly because acetylene was getting impossible to score from a friend of a friend and bottle rental etc isn't cheap , the tig welder is a great tool for neat precise work , mine being ac/dc means I can weld ally too my results with ally are still a bit inconsistent but generally gong in the right direction , never used a mig welder but don't think they are as useful if you want a neat result ,
don't know how i'd get along without a welder these days , seem to be welding something up every week
work on my scrambler refurb is on hold for a while , had an operation on a torn Achilles tendon yesterday and will be spending the next 6 weeks in a plaster cast , thought I might still be able to hobble down to the shed but with a crutch in each hand its tricky to get much done :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bummer about your heel in a cast , whatever you do dont think about things crawling around down there making your foot itchy. :D:D:D
Might want to invest in some knitting needles for scratching purposes. :clown::clown::clown:.
I just ordered a Lucas replica rear light and I need to get a heat gun so I can shape the plastic side panels by warming them up so they dont melt from the heat of my Leo Vince exhaust... :thumbup:.
I will post a better picture when my apprentice bike builder gets here at the weekend.

·
Registered
164 Posts
NickinBrum: Hope the achilles is healing well . . .
What TIG did you buy? How are you getting on with it?
I'm looking to buy one that can do Ally but I'm a complete newbie and the choice is bewildering.

·
Registered
942 Posts
NickinBrum: Hope the achilles is healing well . . .
What TIG did you buy? How are you getting on with it?
I'm looking to buy one that can do Ally but I'm a complete newbie and the choice is bewildering.
thanks the cast comes off on Friday so we'll soon find out , all this fantastic weather we've been having and not been able to ride my bike its been torture :(
the welder I got is a thermal arc 202 ac/dc as well as tig it will also do arc welding , ive not used it for that yet ,
it took some time to get used to after years of oxy acetylene welding but now ive had plenty of practice I really like it , will do really neat welds on mild and stainless steel ,my aluminium welding still has some way to go but I have produced some nice welds in ally but more often than not its an ugly dirty blob, more practice needed,
I paid something like £850 for mine , usually over £1000 but they did me a vat free deal for cash ;)
if this price below is inc vat its a really good deal

Thermal Arc Arcmaster 202 AC DC Tig Welder Package 240Volt

·
Registered
164 Posts
That machine looks just the ticket. Sounds like you got a good deal too. I just tried the online shopping cart and it's adding £175 vat. £1050 total. I'll have to keep saving up . . . haven't seen an AC/DC machine for much less than that. SIP do an AC/DC TIG for under £900 but I've read some bad reviews on the company.

Good luck for friday.

·
Registered
942 Posts
ive heard this parweld machine is the same as the thermal arc that I have but with a different badge on it , and it does look very similar with the same spec ,
if you shop around there are some good deals on it , its usually the same sort of price as the thermal arc machine

Parweld XTI 202 P AC DC Pulsed Tig MMA Inverter Welder C/W Parweld Torch | eBay

ive heard the sip stuff isn't that great as well and r tech have great customer services but their machines aren't the most reliable , but its only what I hear I don't have first hand experience of anything other than my own tig welder

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
As a bit of a detour, I can really recommend the Parweld reactive welding mask. Wanted one for years, always too expensive for hobby use, then they dropped to about £90 and I bought one. They are now down to £45 + VAT, a great deal. If you've only used fixed-tint masks, do try one; you can adjust both the tint and the sensitivity, so you can use it for grinding and welding, so no more flipping the shield up or tipping your head back to look through that silly little half-tint slot. I'm nothing to do with the company that makes them, and I'm sure other makes are good too, but I've got one of these and it's the dog's.:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts