Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm toying with buying a Varadero......I have sold my XTZ660 Tenere which was a great bike but I looking for somthing to do a few more miles on......

The Varadero is a potential candidate....As its been around for 10+ years I'd like to know which is the best model to go for...I know its not always the latest model....

What are the 1999/ 2000 ones like...Is 40K a lot of miles?

any help would be appreciated..

Cheers
Max

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Hi
I own a 2007 full injected vara and I have heard that FI's models are better (I think it's post 2000 that full injection came on)...stand to be correct.
from what I hear from other owners if the bkie has been well looked after 40K should not be a problem at all.
Hope it helps and good luck!

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
There is only 1 Lord Vader

1 Mrs Vader

& some little Vaders :sign5::sign5: :-D:-D

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hi All, I'm toying with buying a Varadero......I have sold my XTZ660 Tenere which was a great bike but I looking for somthing to do a few more miles on......

The Varadero is a potential candidate....As its been around for 10+ years I'd like to know which is the best model to go for...I know its not always the latest model....

What are the 1999/ 2000 ones like...Is 40K a lot of miles?

any help would be appreciated..

Cheers
Max
Mines a 99 model carbed no problems at all 40k is nothing on these motors very strong and ultra reliable good long distance bike really comfortable more so than the newer ones, newer ones don't seem to have the same quality of finish as the original ones

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Just done over 3300km France....PI......France on my 00 Vara 50K Klm and she ran like a dream ......... but it would be nice to have that 6th gear !!! not like she struggles (160kph @6500rpm for 2hr stints) but she is a thirsty girl !!! only getting around 30mpg at that normal riding is about 40ishmpg for me.
6th gear came in from 03 i,d go for one of those if the monies right that,ll be my next move Varas love em:thumbright:
Phil

·
Truffle shuffle king
1,281 Posts
Just done over 3300km France....PI......France on my 00 Vara 50K Klm and she ran like a dream ......... but it would be nice to have that 6th gear !!! not like she struggles (160kph @6500rpm for 2hr stints) but she is a thirsty girl !!! only getting around 30mpg at that normal riding is about 40ishmpg for me.
6th gear came in from 03 i,d go for one of those if the monies right that,ll be my next move Varas love em:thumbright:
Phil
agree with Phil here. Great milage btw Phil

Mines coming up to 86,000km and still strong as an ox.
I am now getting 39mpg. A few add on such as crashbars and taller screen are great to have.
http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/whats-worth/45692-varadero-xl-1000-a.html

Next Varadero would be at least an 03 with injection and he 6th gear.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
  • Check for worn bearings and bushes, especially steering head and rear wheel bearings.
  • Listen for the exhaust blowing and pops from the exhaust on the over-run; any such problems almost certainly indicate that a gasket or gland has gone and they can be time-consuming to replace.
  • After a run open the filler cap listening for an in-rush of air; that means the tank breather is blocked, again could be time-consuming to fix.
  • If you have a multimeter, give check that the battery has around 13 - 14 volts at idle; higher and the reg/rec has gone, though I don't think that's a common problem.
None of these are mega-bucks to fix (unless you take it to a main dealer!)

• If the ignition key doesn't always work it could have a dodgy immobiliser antenna; £100 plus labour!
Bearings wear out naturally and the exhaust gland is a "feature" :rolleyes: None of the others are very common.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Agree with all comments regarding early carb models. Mine is fast approaching 6 figures in MILES (don't want to tempt providence by saying exactly how many) and will still cruise at autobahn :rolleyes: speeds for hours at at time.
Road salt has taken its toll and I've dropped it a couple of times so it don't look too pretty but I love it just the same. Only recurring fault has been the reg/rec failing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts