Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi you lot,

paranoid me is having a hard time readjusting to the engine braking on the AT.so a few helpful comments will put my mind at ease and see the grey hairs disappear along with the worry lines.

ok, i come through the gearbox to 1st gear (only ever happens in first) im traveling to fast for first, so the engine braking starts and i lean forward. but even with theclutch in i hear a whirring noisefrom the bottom of the engine, chain is fine and no rattles or anything. used to have a slipper cluctch on the gsx14 so never worried and the other fours i had didnt have such engine braking.

so question is, is this normal, have i forgotten one of the quirks of a v twin, cant seem to remember a whirring on the ktm i had.

cheers - rob

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Fit a race can on and you'll be revelling in the lurvely burble you get on the overrun.
I don't remember any sort of whirring noise on mine but then again I have a race can so may not be hearing what you're hearing.
Could it be coming from the chain?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like the chain is too tight, when I got my @ 2 months and 1000 miles ago I adjusted the chain as I would on my Hornet and got a similar noise, slackened it off and noise is gone. @'s seem to like slack chains
When I first got @ I asked similar questions on the forum and the best advice was "DONT WORRY ABOUT IT".
@,s are unique they want to be ridden and ridden hard, don't bother about noises ,getting dirty etc. just ride the b****r and enjoy.
:drunken:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
old red eyes said:
Sounds like the chain is too tight, when I got my @ 2 months and 1000 miles ago I adjusted the chain as I would on my Hornet and got a similar noise, slackened it off and noise is gone.
Same here. Well, apart from the Hornet-bit :compress:
One "click" too many on the chain adjuster can make the difference between a fine running chain and worrying noises under engine-braking (not to be confused with engine breaking ;) )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep,
Did the same with mine last weekend, back the chain adjusters off a bit and the noise dissappears.
It needs more slack than any bike I've ever come across before.
Haydn

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the chain seems slack enough at about 3/4cm play, but i put the micron on, and this seems to have helped no end. oh by the way anyone know how to calculate km into miles? how many miles to a km or vice versa, whichever way its done?

cheers - rob

·
Registered
448 Posts
If i remember correctly, you multiply kph by 5 and divide by 8 to convert to mph

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
rob7 said:
the chain seems slack enough at about 3/4cm play, but i put the micron on, and this seems to have helped no end. oh by the way anyone know how to calculate km into miles? how many miles to a km or vice versa, whichever way its done?

cheers - rob
The chain wants to be a lot slacker than that. Sit on it and you'll notice the chain is like a guitar string. ON my RD03 I adjust the chain so that if I push it up it almost touches the black rubber part on the swinger.

On the stand it looks like the chain is hanging off it, but when I sit on it a lot of the slack is taken up and it's just right. That's not because I'm a Giant Haystacks either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, thought i'd mentioned it somewhere that i was taught to sit on the bike and adjust chin according to my weight, it has 3/4 cm of play with me on it,

rob

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
rob7 said:
sorry, thought i'd mentioned it somewhere that i was taught to sit on the bike and adjust chin according to my weight, it has 3/4 cm of play with me on it,

rob
God I love spell checks and the rich English language. You can write that about your chin and still not have it picked up. Please no re- editing.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I also had some "whirring engine noise under br(e)aking" on the Buell yesterday:

"Only" the 4th engine-mount in 3.5 years :confused3:
Seems I will be spending most of my time on the AT this summer :geek:

·
Registered
269 Posts
robelst said:
"Only" the 4th engine-mount in 3.5 years :confused3:
Seems I will be spending most of my time on the AT this summer :geek:
:cyclopsani: the 4th???? Do you know the reason for breaking?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
xrv_jim said:
Tikka said:
:cyclopsani: the 4th???? Do you know the reason for breaking?
It's a Buell, they're meant to do that.
It's an undocumented feature :blackeye:

All the mounts I have seen broken had small air-pockets in them. My theory is that since I use my Buell for motorway use mainly (relative high revs for long periods of time with little variation) the poor quality material fails as a result of fatigue. I should say mine has done 44.000 miles now which may sound like "just-broken-in" in AT terminolgy but is normally considered "far-overdue-for-breaking-to-bits" in Buell-land. The engine itself is still in perfect condition oddly enough, zero oil consumption and less mechanical noises than my 42.000 miles AT.
After mastering many recalls, replacing other ill-designed parts and religiously avoiding Harley/Buell dealerships, this mount seems to be the last hurdle to durable reliability.

Meanwhile: do not try a Buell, you get hooked easily and then you are doomed & cursed forever :cherry:

·
Registered
349 Posts
No doubt someone at Buell who reviewed the defect pointed to the documentation and said, 'where in the spec does it say that this part must not break?' ... or have I just been in IT too long :violent1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts