Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I get some progressive springs for Mrs Flips 650, quick. Front forks are shockingly soft at the moment and assume that this will solve the problem :confused:

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I have cut half a dozen 5mm thick spacers from an old 200ltr plastic drum, with a hole saw.

I just haven't got round to fitting them yet (I don't really have a problem - only when offroad & when dropping down a rock etc)

Phil

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
I've ended up putting about 40mm spacers in mine, but it needed to be quite stiff for off road use. Feels ok on the road too. They look like plastic pipe off cuts, but are some suspension makers official custom spacer material, but I recon with the corrrect bore pipe you could do just as well for pennies!

Progressive springs start much softer than standard, often down around 4.5 (force to squash units, don't remember quite what they are!) up to 7+ when under lots of compression, standards run 6 all the way. (So i read somewhere)

You could try thicker oil, mine runs 20wt stuff.

There are also other more professional ways, search for some posts from Actimoto, i think.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What type of oil do you use in the forks?. The bike is an early 650 (newer shape one) and I guess I will have to take the forks out to drain them, is this right??

·
Ride any Road. Ask me...
2,574 Posts
Mine is an early 650, VY model. Forks come out easy, drain by turning upside down! Don't think the type of fork oil matters on the TA, just the viscosity (weight?) high is thicker, so stiffens the action somewhat. Problem is getting the exact amount back in, better is to measure the oil height from the oil to the top of the fork, with spring removed and leg compressed, but that takes more equipment than I've got!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts