Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
hondabore
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been reading about the new supper ten in several bike mags .£ 13,000, 800pounds more than a fully loaded bmw gsa. But carnt see one in a dealer ,carnt test ride one, just order one on line i will be amazed if they sold one in the uk. Lookes good though and shows how honda missed the boat with the transalp and the vara when they could have built a genuine replacement for the africa twin.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
the XT660Z tenere is a great bike, looks great, good value, spot on for the market. i dont know what they are thinking with the supertenere. at that price its a great advert for BMW.
yams bike pricing policy strikes again (bulldog, GTS1000, V-max, FJR 1300, wildstar etc)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I quite like both the new Tenere and the super but the 660 puts me off being a single and the super weighs 265kg which is going to be a real hand-full off road. Oh and the fact I don't have 13k lying around :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
yams bike pricing policy strikes again (bulldog, GTS1000, V-max, FJR 1300, wildstar etc)
I dropped into the Yamaha dealership in Tamworth when my FMX was being serviced in the Honda dealers down the road.

There were all theses strange numbers on the bikes, almost like phone numbers to text for more info, then i realised it was the prices!

Over 9k for am R6, 13k for an MT01 (with trick bits) and over 6K for an MT03 :sad5:

So FMX it is for the next 30yrs then;)

·
chicken chaser
1,554 Posts
I dropped into the Yamaha dealership in Tamworth when my FMX was being serviced in the Honda dealers down the road.

There were all theses strange numbers on the bikes, almost like phone numbers to text for more info, then i realised it was the prices!

Over 9k for am R6, 13k for an MT01 (with trick bits) and over 6K for an MT03 :sad5:

So FMX it is for the next 30yrs then;)
yep...
yamaha has gone mad with retail prices this year

:(

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
the 660 puts me off being a single
take one for a test if you can, its very smooth for a single and a good ride. not much cop on the motorway but then you wouldnt expect it to be.
a good comparison with a transalp, a little rougher perhaps being a single but if you were looking at one you would have to at least consider the other, i reckon.

re yams prices, according to MCN its the yen doing well or the pound doing sh#te, and all jap bikes have gone up. i know the varadero has gone up £1500 in the last year, thats a lot for a 10/12yr old design. if a bmw GS isnt the most expensive in class the earth will stop turning

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
yep...
yamaha has gone mad with retail prices this year

:(
Perhaps their playing the "prestige/bling/show-everyone-how-much-cash-you-have" card.....

Some people do need that in their life....

I don't what's happened to the world...

10 years ago, £6000 grand could get you a TL, VTR, best part of a GSXR/CBR, then there were the budget bikes: the hornet, the bandit and fazer: argueably all better bikes than most riders.... OK, Duals sports were a little thinon the ground, but still!

I dunno....:rolleyes:

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
The price hike is to cover increased production costs, the exchange rate and the vat hike... have no fear this is coming to all manufactures soon enough Yamaha just choose to do it before the new models were launched and not half way through the season.

As for the 'I cant see a bike, I cant ride one etc etc'... its not the case.

XT1200z will be in dealers by the end of may, the UK allocation is not massive... so much so that there is not enough bikes to let every dealer have a demo, there are regional demo bikes available which you can book through a dealer though if you wish.

The bike it's self is exceptionally well made, the finish was good... sure the price could have been cheaper but with the level of tech on this bike as standard I can see way the tag is what it is. Second edition bikes due out sept/oct'ish will be around £1200ish cheaper as they do not have the pannier kit, bash plate and headlight guard as standard.

I should also say I'm not a big 'Black Bike' fan (accident waiting to happen in my book!) but I did fall in love with the black version!!!

Sales wise, UK sales are on target and Yamaha UK very happy with current number whatever the rumors might be, I was at the UK dealers launch a few weeks ago and spent a long time with the head of sales/marketing so the above info is not gossip, hope this helps.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
dunno about the super, but when I wanted to test the 600 here, the dealer said they weren't getting one as a demo & had no intention of doing so because it's a niche market & if I wanted to test one I could do so If I went to Paris (PARIS! to test a dual sport...?) or Marseille (round trip ov about 1200km...:()

thanks, but I'll have to manage without :rolleyes:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i did want one but they ha just gone mad with the tech its another bike that you just cant fix with a hammer:(

having said that from some angle its looks fantastic. wait let the rich boys beta test it then buy it at a bargain reduced price:thumbup:

·
Kymmy accepts no responsibility for this blondes c
2,075 Posts
yamaha i think are no longer interest in being a 'mass market' manufacture, they are moving more and more to a targeted market were volume is just not he key issue.

The round 1 allocation of bikes is way way less than i expected and this means the bikes dont need the hard sell to attract 'periferal' buyers.. at the minute its a case of if you want one and have the cash to get it then you will if your just window shopping then your not the current target buyer, this will change as more become available!

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
yamaha i think are no longer interest in being a 'mass market' manufacture, they are moving more and more to a targeted market were volume is just not he key issue.

The round 1 allocation of bikes is way way less than i expected and this means the bikes dont need the hard sell to attract 'periferal' buyers.. at the minute its a case of if you want one and have the cash to get it then you will if your just window shopping then your not the current target buyer, this will change as more become available!
cant see thats going to help them in their current financial state , but they must have a sound plan , it just seems that they put their bikes up at ridiculous prices then are forced to drop the prices to a more acceptable level ie the fazer 1000 and the MT01 are prime examples of this:confused:

or it could be that the hiked up price it there to make the most of the
( its new shiny and very pricey and i must have it brigade)

then once they have them then they drop it to the price that it would normally sell at:D:D:D me cynical never;)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
... or it could be that the hiked up price it there to make the most of the
( its new shiny and very pricey and i must have it brigade)

then once they have them then they drop it to the price that it would normally sell at:D:D:D me cynical never;)
I think you're quite right. Indeed it's an accepted marketing approach.

Another trick is to bring out a "less good" version first so they can bring out the proper version later (like the original iPhone that couldn't hande 3G - many owners bought the original and then the 3G version in 12 months). Expect to see a SuperTen Adventure with an over-size fuel tank, large screen, crash bars, extra lights etc this time next year!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I think I know who wouldn't want one... Or five, as the case may be.

Apparently Yamaha has promised Riders for Health 5 of those beasties. Yeah. Because you'd really really want a 1200cc 100+ bhp 260+ kg high tech bike in Deepest Africa. :roll: With enough spares to make them last 3 years. Wow. Three whole years?

Funny though, about three minutes into their promo film there was a familiar flash of dual headlights onscreen. Yep. Battered old Africa Twin. That's been going rather longer than said three years. :mrgreen:

Nice publicity stunt though, thoroughly aimed at the lifestyle-bike-crowd over here, and a nice gesture to the folks in Africa. Though the cynic in me is wondering whether the gesture is an extended digit...

If they'd really want to help the folks over there they'd round up 20 or so XT350s plus spares at the same cost. I know which I'd rather have out there if I were getting them free.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts