Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember a post recently about front end wobble on a TA....more specifically, I think it was on a 700, and various owners seemed to think it was almost inevitable...
Anyway, in the interests of security I have two U Locks- one is a Kryptonite New York mini, which weights in at a shade over 2Kgs. The other is a Squire Paramount 16mm shackle which isn't far behind. I figured out a nifty way to transport both locks under the back rack (TA600) so I can still use a Top box.

This weekend I went down to Oulton Park to watch the superbikes...it was the first time I've taken both locks out with the Top box, to stash my gear in. Riding along a stretch of chipped dual carriage way, about 50 mph, I took my hands off the bars to stretch my arms and had a proper wobble through the bars....fortunately, I wasn't going fast enough for it to develop into a full-on tank slapper but it's the first time this has happened. The other factor to consider is that I'd also fitted a pair of bar end weights, to see if they do actually damp down vibrations....ironic really

I'm going to experiment with the weighting on the back-rack/top box to see if I can induce the same wobble, without the bar weights...

everything else is spot on (tyre pressure, bearings, etc.)

Oulton Park was great....but stupid hot

·
Registered
41 Posts
i fitted renthal 754 bars, cables fitted without any problems, just, have to drill 3 holes for the switches & throttle housing, or cut the lugs off, which i did,nt want to do, took about an hour. 20180509_154607.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i found that weight on the back can affect how much 'wobble' a transalp 600 has

the rear rack has a limit of , errr 5 kilos is it?
Yeah....I've already topped that with the two U Locks...it's totally wobble-free without the extra weight. Shame really, as it's the ideal place to stash both locks. I know a steering damper is a bit of a sticking plaster, but it might be worth an experiment

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
since i have fitted Renthal bars, no bar end weights, the vibration through the bars is not noticeable !!
I can live with a few vibrations....it's the thrashing from side to side that's a tad problematic :D

Good to know that alloy bars will reduce vibes though. I've stuck Renthals on virually every bike I've owned but the TA 600 is an unusual bend. Nearest I've seen is Vintage Desert replicas ( or some such).

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
rear rack limit is 9 kilos on the TA 600 (according to the label on the rear mudguard)

Yeah....I've already topped that with the two U Locks...it's totally wobble-free without the extra weight. Shame really, as it's the ideal place to stash both locks. I know a steering damper is a bit of a sticking plaster, but it might be worth an experiment

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear rack limit is 9 kilos on the TA 600 (according to the label on the rear mudguard)
9kg soon adds up, when you include the weight of the case, and a few bits and pieces. I definitely need to try the bike out fully loaded (side panniers + top box) before venturing farther-a-field. I'm tempted to try some progressive fork springs in any case, but I'd like to rule out any inherent problems with the front end, or at least accept that it's going to have a tendency to wobble with the current suspension set up when the top box is fully loaded.

The good news is there's nothing amiss with the front end, having stripped it down this evening...:thumbright:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts