Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Yokel In Utah
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as Continental Tyres have annouced that the bendiest road in Britain is the B3081 between Cann Common, Shaftesbury and Tollard Royal, Salisbury, has anyone done this route?

Apparently, at a steady 30mph, the tightest corner(s) exterted nearly 1G on the driver - wonder what it would be at 60mph :lol: (apart from quick, as the road is only 5.5 miles long :lol: )

Full list:
Rank Road Between Location kNs
1st B3081 Cann Common & Tollard Royal Dorset/Wiltshire 352
2nd A686 Penrith & Melmerby Cumbria 276
3rd A537 Macclesfield & Buxton Cheshire / Derbyshire 221
4th A466 Monmouth & Staunton Monmouth 195
5th A4061 Pricetown & Treorchy Rhondda 167
6th A157 Louth & Mablethorpe Lincolnshire 152
7th B2130 Godalming & Cranleigh Surrey 151
8th B6270 Keld & Reeth Yorkshire 128
9th A39 Bridgewater & Minehead Somerset 118
10th B797 Mennock & Warnlockhead Dumfries & Galloway 99

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Haven't done it, but I think I might just pop round there next time we go to Salisbury Plain.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I've done the 9th a few times on my TDR250. Love that stretch of road. My left leg was knackered after it with all the gear changes I had to do to keep the wee thing on the boil. I had to stop a few times to let my mate on his Bandit 1200 catch up. :)

G

·
Done No4&5 :D and out of the two No5 is by far the better :D Not only have you got hairpin after hairpin, if you goof it up you get a million foot drop as punishment. That sharpens the mind some what :shock:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Seeing as I only live about 30 miles away from zigzag hill (no.1) I really should have gone over to take a look by now.

:oops:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Done no. 2 many times, in fact did it today but not on bike :( I Can't actually imagine a better road and it goes beyond Alston all the way to Haydon Bridge, About 4O miles in total. The real twisties are in a 4-five mile climb between Melmerby and the top of Hartside pass. Thought the AA or RAC or someone [Clarkson??} had rated the road in the top 1O in the world :shock:

Done No. 3 (AKA as "the Cat and Fiddle] as well in fact the first time I did it was on an RD3fifty and I didn't know about the road, was on the way back from Nottingham, and went all the way back to Buxton, to come back and do it again - 3x back to back. Its good.

I think I have done number 4, and have done 8 a few times 'n all. Best roads are all int' North!!! :wink: Also seem to remember an ace run years ago in Scots lowlands so could have been on number ten as well.

·
Registered
7,768 Posts
samwise said:
Well, as Continental Tyres have annouced that the bendiest road in Britain is the B3081 between Cann Common, Shaftesbury and Tollard Royal, Salisbury, has anyone done this route?

Apparently, at a steady 30mph, the tightest corner(s) exterted nearly 1G on the driver - wonder what it would be at 60mph :lol: (apart from quick, as the road is only 5.5 miles long :lol: )

Full list:
Rank Road Between Location kNs
1st B3081 Cann Common & Tollard Royal Dorset/Wiltshire 352
2nd A686 Penrith & Melmerby Cumbria 276
3rd A537 Macclesfield & Buxton Cheshire / Derbyshire 221
4th A466 Monmouth & Staunton Monmouth 195
5th A4061 Pricetown & Treorchy Rhondda 167
6th A157 Louth & Mablethorpe Lincolnshire 152
7th B2130 Godalming & Cranleigh Surrey 151
8th B6270 Keld & Reeth Yorkshire 128
9th A39 Bridgewater & Minehead Somerset 118
10th B797 Mennock & Warnlockhead Dumfries & Galloway 99
Surely Fort William to Mallaig should be on there???

Phil

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mmm ZigZag Hill - the only place I managed to get the pegs down on the Dominator - much easier to go fast up the hill and always worth turning around and doing it twice. This also allows you to check how dry it is under the trees.

·
Registered
78 Posts
no.3 the Cat and Fiddle run is awesome in the right weather. Been up there on numerous occasions and if its quiet its great, problem these days is its become too poular and is always rammed with bikes as well as caravans - bad combination, so they slapped a blanket 50mph on the whole stretch a couple of years ago - lots of accidents still :( but a great road, with a great pub in the middle! def worth a trip if you havent done it.

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Also done 3 frequently, most hated road, very unforgiving (long way down on one side) full of sportsbikes/ wankers/ tourists and takes 2-3 bikers lives every year, so watch out, it's more bendy if you take the "old road", it's still not as bendy as many round here (try turning off just before the Cat on the way up from Macc and down through Goyt Valley), if you want to really cack your pants head off to Winnats Pass, Derbyshire, not that bendy, but narrow and damned nearly vertical, must exert some G's on the way down :shock:

·
Complete Member
3,904 Posts
Here's the Cat road (A537)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...3.259052,-1.989212&spn=0.148281,0.431213&om=1
the A54 (Leek-Buxton) road is also good with the bend at Allgreave being as close as you'll get to an alpine full hairpin bend this side of, well the Alps i spose.
The wigly yellow line above the A357 (Macc to Chapel-on-le-Frith) is also a laugh (hairpins a-go-go :lol: )
and finally the Macc to Leek (A523) is worth a try, just watch out for the cameras at Rushton Spencer and the road works on the best (does it ever end) corner.
You could always head from Macc to Leek, through Leek to Buxton and then back to Macc down the Cat road if you're feeling adventurous.

G

·
Added No2 and No9 to my list now :D :D :D

Sadly No2 was done on fog/rain behind a WV polo, so probably doesn't count :cry: , but was very twisty.
The A39 was done at 6pm in sunshine and no one else there to spoil the fun :D :D :D Once passed Lynmouth and off toward Porlock hill, the smiles per mile run off the scale. Shame they slapped a 50mph limit through the quantocks though. Not one for speeding mind, but 50 takes the edge off the corners :cry:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts