Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant believe ive done 22000 miles on my TA700 already, its only 2 years old this April!

Havent had any issues other than:

Rear Spokes - replaced with SS at 7k
C&S - replaced at 18k

Last service was done by myself and didnt include valve clearances - this one will also be by me and Im not intending on checking the valves this time either...bike runs smooth, no stuttering, no dead points with only very cold starts requiring a few seconds of assisted throttle (possibly idle adjust).

To say this has been my best buy ever is so far an understatement.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
So reliability is not an issue.
It is good when you have a mode of transport like that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
unfortunately I'm definitely not racking the miles up as mine has only just done 1,000 miles and is and '09, 1 year old in March.....but I only just bought it in December.......with 500 miles on the clock.

However 22,000 miles without any really bad stuff is music to my ears as my last back had its engine replaced by then and a multitude of things before and after that too and it would've only just reached three years old this month.

I do intend on getting loads more miles on it and I went out today to put just a fue on it just today.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Cant believe ive done 22000 miles on my TA700 already, its only 2 years old this April!
I've done around 26500 miles and it's 2 in April as well. Only thing has been a new set of front forks replaced under warrantee as the original set was pitted.
Luckily when I was getting the 3rd set of tyres fitted the shop pointed it out to me
:thumbright:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Only thing has been a new set of front forks replaced under warrantee as the original set was pitted.
What caused the pitting?

So far I've noticed just one spot of rust on my front forks which with an oily rag buffed out. I then applied a liberal coating of WD40 and left it to dry without rubbing it.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
What caused the pitting?
Dunno for sure, my guess would be grit and such thrown up and chipping the chrome as it's out in all weathers.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
So do you just use your TA for road use or do you do some off road?

Only on the road, sadly this bike's not seen any off road action.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fork pitting???

Did the pitting appear on the front or rearside of the forks? Only ask cuz I've heard or it before as an issue but never noticed it on mine.

All roaduse for me too. One big trip round France last July of 2.5k miles and te majority of the rest on a 40m commute.

Skid...not really livin up to ur name keeping the Alp housed with all the snow we've had! Lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
Skid...not really livin up to ur name keeping the Alp housed with all the snow we've had! Lol
No I normally ride in any weather but the snow really did put a stop to that soon after buying my new TA plus I was still recovering after getting knocked off my last bike in late October '09.

Going to get more miles on her this year then it's TLD for me in 2011.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Fork pitting???

Did the pitting appear on the front or rearside of the forks? Only ask cuz I've heard or it before as an issue but never noticed it on mine.l
Pitting was on the front, looked to me like the 700 should have had gaiters on it like the 600 has. Was gonna get some fitted but didn't get em in time.

·
Womble
180 Posts
Mine is up for 2 years in May, and has just over 22K miles on it.

Not been impressed with the build quality of mine that's for sure;

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/39160-honda-build-quality.html

Now that winter seems to have gone for this year I'm back at the dealer with a request for another set of fork stanchions, more wing mirrors and another silencer all for exactly the same reasons stated in the post linked above.

Also the lacquer on the engine casings seem to be a bit suspect, but nothing I can point to and say 'This is a problem - please fix it'

Needless to say I'm not impressed [again] and wonder how Honda can continue to charge the premium price they do for goods that no longer have the same build quality lead over the other manufacturers that they used to. I'd have exprected this from a V-Strom, but not a TransAlp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had my 24k mile service after 19 months. A few things have been done under warranty; exhaust replaced, rear brake master cylinder replaced(didn't notice any problem it was done under a recall!), fuel pump sender float repaired (fuel gauge giving strange readings particulary on start up).

Just need the pitted spokes repaired/replaced and I'll be happy. Although recently I have an intermittent problem where the engine cuts out when coming to a stop at junction or lights and when stationary turning the bars to right which I'm guessing is a fractured cable somewhere.

·
Registered
212 Posts
TA700 ,May '08 ,so far 34.365 km/21.300 miles.
Second chain set (at 32.600km)
Second set of tyres (from Trailwings to Battlewings)
No problems what so ever.....

Enjoy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Got mine beginning of June 2010, due in for its 4k service next week. Can't believe I've done that amount of miles the majority are done as leisure weekend riding...

...it's them dodgy brakes again! :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts