5 capitals.

London (England)
Paris (France)
Berne (Switzerland)
Luxembourge City (Luxembourge)
Brussels (Belgium)

1056 Miles,
17 3/4 Hours riding

We can use the tunnel going out, and it leaves us all in Belgium at the end which is a good starting point for anyone wanting to do a european tour afterwards, and is suitably close to ferry ports/tunnels for a return journey for those coming straight home.

(This ride could be shortened to stop in Switzerland, 643 Miles, 11 Hours 19 Mins, and then we are in Switzerland near some amazing mountain passes etc for a day or two before the homeward journey)

Criteria:-

Does it capture the public imagination - will it make people go ''bloddy hell''?

Yep, Even stopping at Switzerland would make most people stop and think "Thats a LONG way!"

Will it attract a decent number of riders? Not just Xrvers.

I would think so, There are some bloody good roads on the way mixed in with some dull motorways (I quite like dull motorways, I can think about stuff without worrying about twisties, but I like twisties as well, I can worry about bends without having to think about stuff)

Is it doable in 24 hours?

Yep, but I bet most people won't believe it

Is it both actually, and perceived by the public, to be challenging?

I hope so, If someone told me they were setting off from London to get to Belgium Via Switzerland I'd think they were mad (why on earth would you want to go to Belgium??), to do it in a day seems impossible (but it's really not)

Is it easily understood what we're doing by the people who are likely to be our sponsors?

Not hard to explain, so I would think it ticks this box as well.

Is it likely to attrach both riders and sponsors?

Don't know? Lets have a show of hands.

Any takers?

·
Nexus 6
1,320 Posts
Mmmmmmm, thats not a bad one..............

·
Registered
307 Posts
I know it isn't quite the same but I did the countries (not capitals) last year, after I had been foolish enough to have conversation with James 691 which started, "how far could I get in a weekend...?". I did get a buzz out of it but wouldn't be keen to repeat again so soon. I also wonder about all the city driving and I might start riding over small pedestrians out of sheer frustration. That said I suspect the route would be better - in that there would be one. I just relied on the nice men in front of me in the ferry queue last time. Much like TLD actually......:grin:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I rather like this! Yes, Dr Law I am fully aware that you got to Lux' before I did :( well still yet to! :thumbright:

But the issue I would have is this is rather an Iron Butt event and all the places that I would be whizzing through I would love to stop and explore..OoooOOo shiny! click click click. Then I stop in Belgium and have the option to ride into them all again at a human pace.

It was one of the very few things that I don't like about endurance - you don't see bugger all on the way.

It's why I like the two towers - two destinations and plenty of time on either side to go visit. It was indeed something I found was fantastico at the Ireland stop.

I had a great time being in Ireland and doing the ring of Kerry with Snaphappy. Then a trundle (is that a word?) around the coast before a night in Dungarvan. I think Barry (Barkingmadscot) went to Belfast, I assume he, rather like me zipped past the place on the TLD 2009.

Just something to keep in mind:blob8:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I had a great time being in Ireland and doing the ring of Kerry with Snaphappy. Then a trundle (is that a word?) around the coast before a night in Dungarvan. I think Barry (Barkingmadscot) went to Belfast, I assume he, rather like me zipped past the place on the TLD 2009.
Billy, James and I took our time heading over the dingle, not really in a hurry, getting to take in the country side.

I when up the West coast to Derry, stayed a night near there then headed to belfast to get the ferry in the afernoon, I got to see more this time around, instead of 'zippin' past everything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts