Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped of in Uppingham at the new Ducati dealers to look at the new Ducati 798? The dealers, Sycamore, is also a Harley dealer as well. I was looking at the second hand stock along with a load of other bikers when a Harley chopper type thingy? started up to drive off. Boy we couldant hear each other for the racket. Everybody sighed with relief after he turned the corner and away. Sorry but I like to hear my bike as Im riding if it dont sound right sumits up. Ride safe Dave.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I detest the bl---y things. Yes why do they (the riders) want to make so much noise. We followed a load of them today and they are positivity unsociable and frankly give the rest of us a bad image. What sensible person wants to ride around in a piss pot helmet, lace up jeans, stupid sunglasses etc, etc. Riding one you need to remember to raise the plough when you negotiate a traffic island!. They seem to get away with it too, how come? I just don't get it. I'm sure it's a 'look at me' thing, but most people look and say 'what a prat' or something similar. Can anyone explain what the attraction is and why.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I saw a forum signature once that made me laugh:

"Harley Davidsons. Converting petrol into decibels without the inconvenience of horsepower"

Sums it up for me really. I once blagged a test ride to woo a young lady (it almost worked) and took her for a spin: she loved HDs, I did not...

Buells, I'd try, but HDs aren't for me... As far as I'm concerned its a bike that is designed solely for the image: there are no concessions to performance or handling... What's the point?

On roads they were built for, I'm sure they're perfectly nice, but in Europe there is a lot of attention-seeking and/or youth revisiting, IMHO...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yup bloody noisy,
I bought a sportster a few years back,got a good deal off some geezers in Watford ( I live in North East Scotland ) .I got a lift down with some friends ,I was wheeling the bike out of the shop,when a really noisy Harley went past,I remarked to the shop owner " I hope this isn't that loud ",there were a few exchanged glances and a shuffling of feet . I fired it up, it was bloody worse!
But it was very low mileage and a good price,so I set off to ride home on it.
Still a bit deaf.
Mine was a 96 model,before rubber engine mounts ( that is the engine is metal ,the mountings are,you know what I mean )so the vibes got a bit much at speed,but it was great fun on twisty roads,very low center of gravity,tons of grunt,a bit like a VERY torquy Bonny.
Long straight roads? ********-- they love twisties-- it's the bloody riders that give them a bad name,the bike is fine.
I sold the Sportster and got a Buell --Fantastic bike to ride,just a bit fragile in the way the engine was held in the frame,oh and the drive belt's inclined to snap,often.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Be fair: they're not that slow, but they are like the cars from the heydays of Motor City. They will take off from the line well and cruise all day but don't try to go round a corner on one at any sort of speed unless you've some really good skills. But unlike those lazy V8 motors of the 60's, the Harley hasn't even got smoothness on its side. It'll go all day, but do you want to have two cylinders thumping away beneath you for that long?

The now-defunct Buell proved that not only Ducati can make a big twin that goes and sounds well. I'm with the other contributors to this thread though when it comes to the question of why HD bikes remain popular in the States or anywhere (though their sales have just fallen off a cliff) and why they are so bloody loud! Only yesterday one was blaring through Streatham, the rider wearing the inevitable Nazi helmet, leaving scooters in his wake. I know it's childish, but I took great pleasure in shooting past him on my smooth, quiet PanEuropean and going round some corners without losing pace.

They're hopeless. Whatever you want from a Harley someone else does better. A neighbour has one: I must ask him why.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'd like a Narley Harley........................:rolleyes:

As a water feature in my back garden, a nice peacefull trickle of water ozing outta the pipes:thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
"Harley-Davidson attempted to register as a trademark the distinctive "chug" of a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine. On 1 February 1994, the company filed its application with the following description: "The mark consists of the exhaust sound of applicant's motorcycles, produced by V-twin, common crankpin motorcycle engines when the goods are in use". Nine of Harley Davidson's competitors filed oppositions against the application, arguing that cruiser-style motorcycles of various brands use the same crankpin V-twin engine which produces the same sound. After six years of litigation, with no end in sight, in early 2000 Harley Davidson withdrew their application."

Who said they're all about image?

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
i like 'em!

had one for a week (borrowed) great on motorways, not too bad in the corners and to be honest neither am I so we got along just fine!!

pulled like a train and sounded pretty good!

only problem was that it was a wee bit small for the Z

Z:D

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Yup, hired a couple in Vegas.

They're great - in their own way :rolleyes:

Lots of non bikers love 'em too.
A bit too 'chromey' & 'imagey' for my liking as a my own bike tho.

As for being noisy, they sound a shed load better than an inline four screaming through the Dales!

Phil

·
Registered
46 Posts
The latest twin cam B engines are actually "balanced" to stop some of the vibes along with the rubber mounts, but it's got to shake a bit or it isn't a harley.

What about victory's?
Big V-twin, made in america (well assembled in america, but thats the same with harleys), overhead cam, balanced engine
They're great, only problem is that the latest ones are a bit artsy fartsy chopper, rather than real riding machine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had a thought about why the general public seem to like the Harley sound.
Could it be that the scream from a four is like an animal in distress,or an alarm call ,and the deep rumble/chug of a Harley is like a heartbeat ,associated with the sounds we hear as we float about,safe secure and warm in our mothers womb.
Ooh, came over all phsycological,well physco something.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
and the deep rumble/chug of a Harley is like a heartbeat ,associated with the sounds we hear as we float about,safe secure and warm in our mothers womb.
Loud pipes on a Harley is quite the opposite of a mothers womb...don't ya think? Just my opinion.

Good recent thread here on Advrider... literally 100's of threads about HD loud pipes on this side of the pond.

It's not harleys it's the loud pipes - ADVrider

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
In the eighties we had Honda 4's with four into one Alphas and stubby exhausts that made noise.
I had a two into one Alpha on my CX500 and had to keep repacking the silencer with wire wool as it used to get burned off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Loud pipes on a Harley is quite the opposite of a mothers womb...don't ya think? Just my opinion.

I wasn't being that serious,my comments were more tongue in cheek, however I stand by my opinion,that most people like the sound of a deep low reving "V" twin,not necessarily a loud one,well not up close.
I see you are located near Calgary, I live just off the A95 road to Banff,don't you have a Banff there?
Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
35 Posts
I detest the bl---y things. Yes why do they (the riders) want to make so much noise. We followed a load of them today and they are positivity unsociable and frankly give the rest of us a bad image. What sensible person wants to ride around in a piss pot helmet, lace up jeans, stupid sunglasses etc, etc. Riding one you need to remember to raise the plough when you negotiate a traffic island!. They seem to get away with it too, how come? I just don't get it. I'm sure it's a 'look at me' thing, but most people look and say 'what a prat' or something similar. Can anyone explain what the attraction is and why.
I think it takes a certain kind of............erm..........shall we say person to dress like a pirate and ride round on a massey ferguson, oops harley davidson, i think that person has to be brave, theres just to many corners in the UK for those American pig iron throw backs, as to the attraction of it, i have found many of the riders seem to be born again bikers with pots of cash and no idea of a real bike to buy

:toothy7:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I wasn't being that serious,my comments were more tongue in cheek, however I stand by my opinion,that most people like the sound of a deep low reving "V" twin,not necessarily a loud one,well not up close.
I see you are located near Calgary, I live just off the A95 road to Banff,don't you have a Banff there?
Cheers
Lee
I hear ya. :thumbright: It's just that their are so many of those a-holes with loud pipes around here. We are a different breed than the HD crowd....thats for sure. Yup, Banff is just down the road from me here in Calgary.

pic of my AT near Banff.

cheers to you to!

·
Sans contrefacon
32 Posts
Need a bit of cheering up on a Tuesday evening, and this has done the job! Cheers chaps:thumbleft: On that note, if HD's are great fun (according to their owners/fanclubs/etc) then why do people riding them always look so bleedin' serious? :confused: Same as people in convertibles who you'd think would be happy to have sunshine on their bonces eh?

·
Registered
105 Posts
SPECTACULAR photo mate,
I will get a shot of the old Banff,it used to be the county town of Banffshire and has some very nice old buildings,sadly a bit run down now but interesting for all that.
Lee

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
People have a different view on what is noise and what is music to the ears.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts