Honda XRV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
People have a different view on what is noise and what is music to the ears.
Sorry..it's noise to me. :D Ok...your trying to sleep and you work shift work and the HD rider with loud pipes open's her up. whack..whack.. whack.. whack...and he could be blocks away and now your wide awake. :confused: WTF!! I hate those F'ers !

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Sorry..it's noise to me. :D Ok...your trying to sleep and you work shift work and the HD rider with loud pipes open's her up. whack..whack.. whack.. whack...and he could be blocks away and now your wide awake. :confused: WTF!! I hate those F'ers !
I happen to agree with you.
I was just pointing out that some people have a different perspective on what constitutes noise and what sounds nice.
It is similar to those boy racers with dustbins for exhaust pipes on their cars, with music pumping out so load it can be heard 200metres away.

·
SOTGATT
3,521 Posts
Didn't someone post up something on here about some Harley riders way back when doing a bit of enduro stuff......:confused:

Was it a link...it was good stuff as I recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I detest the bl---y things. Yes why do they (the riders) want to make so much noise. We followed a load of them today and they are positivity unsociable and frankly give the rest of us a bad image. What sensible person wants to ride around in a piss pot helmet, lace up jeans, stupid sunglasses etc, etc. Riding one you need to remember to raise the plough when you negotiate a traffic island!. They seem to get away with it too, how come? I just don't get it. I'm sure it's a 'look at me' thing, but most people look and say 'what a prat' or something similar. Can anyone explain what the attraction is and why.

You sound like a T*** yourself mate .Let bikers be bikers no matter what they ride .I have 3 a CBX 1100,vx 700 VTX 1800,which I may add is very loud and I love it .
ps. you must be old or a woman.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'm not sure what a T*** could be but I'm certainly not a youngster. I'm 61. It's like this, the bottom line is that excessive noise, and speed come to that, are offensive. It shows a total disregard for the others around us. I have seen small children reduced to tears because some loud bike scared them, horses scared too plus all the people who look and just swear something like 'effing prat'. When I was a teenager I had a Tiger 110 with straight through goldies and I too made a row, but now I regret it realising that it was simply anti social. Once I was asked by a guy 'do I come tear arseing past your house?' obviously the answer was no so I was told not to do it past his. Noise is not speed it's LOOK AT ME and stuff you I'll do it if I want to. I've learnt with age that a loud pipe does not make me corner quicker or that a small number plate makes the bike faster. I enjoy biking because of the pleasure it brings and 'most' of the people I meet and maturity brings consideration for our fellow citizens. Do you get my point?

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
FOUND THE LINK......cracking !!!!

The original adventure riders (and bikes!) - ADVrider

Harleys as they should be (IMO).......:)
Absolutely astonishing!

I do wish people wouldn't be so negative about other folks' choice of ride. Its fair game to complain about anti-social behaviour such as revving a Harley at 6am near housing, but a bike's a bike and there should be more that binds us riders than puts us apart. True, I can't imagine a modern Harley being used like the heroes in the pictures did, but on the other hand there are a lot of suspiciously clean KTMs about...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I like Harleys, and their noise. Wouldnt want one starting up at 0630 in the morning but equally wouldnt want to live near people with subaru imprezas with large burbling exhausts... but thats life.
About one of the nicest sounding engines with a set of loud pipes is a Harley:toothy7:

·
Do you have any cheese?
313 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
I like Harleys, and their noise. Wouldnt want one starting up at 0630 in the morning but equally wouldnt want to live near people with subaru imprezas with large burbling exhausts... but thats life.
About one of the nicest sounding engines with a set of loud pipes is a Harley:toothy7:
But that's the point, you cannot pick and choose when anyone with a noisy (read illegal) exhaust is going to strike up. Imagine if everyone had one, life would be bedlam. I love the sound of a racing Honda four or six, I enjoyed them in their original era. The ear splitting sound of a Yamaha square four on empty expansion chambers, but once the racing was over that was that. I actually chose to have my ears insulted. But indiscriminately loud exhausts, bumpity bump music etc are just an offensive racket thrust upon us without our will or choice. Ok it's quite obvious to everyone by now that I dislike Harleys but that dislike is my personal and free choice. I don't discriminate against Harley riders it's just the noise some of them, and others, seem to think it's their right to make. I could go on but I'll spare you all, my parting shot is 'I simply don't get it. Over and out!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Heres a few shots of Old Banff,the first one looking across the river Deveron From Macduff.The rest in the old main street. Lee
nice pics,i was in Scotland for a (VERY) swift vist two weekends ago. stayed the night in Portree on Skye and then rode home. next time will take a bit more time and hope for warmer weather.

·
Registered
105 Posts
nice pics,i was in Scotland for a (VERY) swift vist two weekends ago. stayed the night in Portree on Skye and then rode home. next time will take a bit more time and hope for warmer weather.
There is a lot more to Scotland than ( a pretty as it might be )the north west highlands.The north east, It's a lot drier,less midgey,and fewer tourists.
If your heading back north give me a shout,be happy to suggest interesting routs.
Lee

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
There is a lot more to Scotland than ( a pretty as it might be )the north west highlands.The north east, It's a lot drier,less midgey,and fewer tourists.
If your heading back north give me a shout,be happy to suggest interesting routs.
Lee
That's one peacefull looking town. I bet their are no HD loud pipes distrubing it either. Your lucky.
cheers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes ,peacefull,a bit of a backwater really.Not without it's problems though,strange as it may seem,some of these coastal towns( Fraserborough the most notorious )have a bit of a heroin problem.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Lee
cheers for that! i do have relatives who live in Stockton on Tees in the NE of England and plan on visiting them later this year. was thinking of riding into the South of Scotland to Stranrar then ferry to Ireland and back into Wales to get home.
what are the midges like in September?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Midges!
Not as bad as Skye or Torridon,I doubt that anywhere is as bad as those .
It depends on location,near the coast is fine,Glenlivet can be hell on a still early september evening,but compared with Torridon( shudders )not so bad.
I have camped there ,and wondered where the dense smoke was coming from ,only to realise the smoke was a cloud of midges, started itching just thinking about it.
So in concusion,not so bad.
Lee

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If I could afford one I'd have one, especially the FatBob which is a fab bike !

I rented one 2 years ago and rode from Chicago to Sturgis visited 7 States for the Black Hills Sturgis Rally.

I found the whole experience a blast, don't forget the U.S.A. has the roads and Harleys are 10 a penny over there.

But unfortunately in the UK, there is a tendency that HD's are owned by either, affluent over 50's with no mortgage and £££'s to spareand making a statement.

Or on the other hand, one or two types with some "attitude", which can be frustrating to fellow bikers at times.

There is a HD culture which is something that you get "absorbed" into once you purchase a HD, seen it done it, so to speak.

I have also ridden the Buell, again another tidy bike.

Not all HD's are noisy, the newer models sound grand in my opinion, but there's an awful lot of "race reps" that are even noisier and even more irritating.

As for the noisy pipes & noisy bikes I think it's a personal choice, as is personalising your own bike.
I think it's good to have the choice of freedom of expression, otherwise the world would be quite a dull place.

Some would say, or quote "Loud Pipes Save Lives "

This year I rented another HD for a trip down the Great Ocean Road in Oz then across & onto Phillip Island with my brother in law, we had a blast, and never came across anyone who said a bad word, HD rider or not, we are all bikers at the end of the day.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts