Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not only the noisey little hatchbacks ,but the wearing of silly white wooly hats pulled down or basball hats on side ways, why do they want to look like
Spazzes ( sorry if that isn't politically correct )
The mention of Harleys,has got me wondering if I can be sensible enough to keep my AT,which is a pleasant enough mount.
I keep telling myself that the Buell snapped/sheared off at least one expensive component a month,and shook so bad on deaccelleration that it blurred my vision,but what an exilerating thing it was,and what a noise .
The Honda is safe and forgiving on wet roads,and not a pain if I am not quite "up for it " when rideing,but it is really low geared and get's on my wick when I want to get somewhere quickly,I feel like I'm hurting it ,when holding at 6000+ revs.
( that would be 125 on the Buell ).
Well I'm 58 now and I still just can't get sensible enough to get that snarl of a ( very ) tuned Harley out of my system.
Maybe next year?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I got myself a nice looking used low-mileage '96 AT in '02 as a backup for my '01 Buell M2 Cyclone. My newly bought American (non-)sports bike had clocked up no less than 20k miles in its first year of ownership due to unforeseen circumstances (losing my job only to find another one 75 miles away from my home). It did so quite happily, despite HD butchers .. erm ... dealers messing the thing up close to ultimate destruction. Well, that plus the incredibly feeble budget electrics and snapping-happy engine mounts made from Aero chocolate bars that penny-saving HD engineers had decided to fit (all replaced with decent 3rd party stuff).
I had picked the AT to share the pain of long-distance commuting after 2.5 great years of owning the older 650 version in the early '90s.

Ironically, it was the AT and not the Buell that made commuting live tough with multiple rec/reg- and fuel-pump failures, brake calipers needing full rebuilds after every single winter and then complete replacement after its 4th winter when the caliper started to crumble (no kidding), DID wheels needed replacing after the original ones had rotted to such a level that the spokes could no longer be adjusted, paint flaking off the engine and frame like it was still wet, clutch basket made of cheese leading to sticky and clattering operation (replaced, but returned 25k later) and a nerve-wrecking choke mechanism that needed frequent attention to not let the rather disappointing 45 mpg drop into the low 30 regions.

Yes, I somehow enjoyed the charismatic African beauty enough to hang on to it for 4 years but that was mainly thanks to- and not despite the Buell reasonable reliability, not to mention the comfy seat to relieve my sour buttocks from the AT's long-distance seat-torture.

Funny how reputations don't always add up in real life.

The AT has long been replaced with a less flashy but undeniably better, faster and more economical Yamaha TDM 850, and the Buell is still going strong as well (72k now on the clock).

Still, if anyone knows a mint XRV 650 for sale, there is still plenty room in my garage. :D

PS! About that "very tuned" HD: better not do that. Many Buell owners thoughtlessly fit dubious and noisy after-market bits to keep up with their buddies on Fireblades (or even Hornet 600's for that matter) on the motorway: This is a guaranteed recipe for things to go horribly wrong very soon. Realise that these are long-stroke cruiser engines that offer great chunky torque but will never reliably rev up high enough to turn that torque into true top-end power. Even more modern later XB12's struggle to get 80 bhp at the rear wheel, despite the 100 that the brochures promise. If you love the character of the Buell/sportster engine then go for it, but understand- and accept it as it is otherwise it will end in tears.
Oh and don't be bloody loud, that's just stoooopid!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think you got me wrong, I had a Buell and bought the @ due to the Buell (in my opinion )being like a badly engineered special,maybe a 1200 engine shoehorned into a 250 frame, terrible belt drive geometry,hanging a tuned sportster engine from it's headsteady and electrical circuites that begger belief.
Noisy, yes mine was,it had a race system on when I got it,when I gave the standard system a try, I found it ran too rich and was flat,evidence of standard ex restrictions,but then it had the obligatory Mikuni fitted.
Oh and the STUPID suspension,what was Erik thinking of ,I went through two shockers,just leaked the oil out,but then they are laying on their side and pulling out when loaded.
Oh and the lack of a bolt out frame section as the lightning has,after the first belt change I developed a method of squeezing the l/h engine rubber enough to get the r/h one out,then slipped in the belt.
IMOP a very flawed masterpiece,but masterpiece never the less.
Just got to stop myself buying another one.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I won't deny the weaknesses of the Buell's design. It's vital on the old models to have all recalls and the latest bits from the '01 range fitted (like shock, isolators, plugs, primary chain tensioner); I replaced all relays with car-components to make the bike work in the rain (actually, I did the same with the ones on the AT), the bike barely moves on the tall standard European gearing so I fitted the US gearing (17% shorter) and it took me three replacements of the rear-shock before ending up with something that works (AST). I never fitted the (popular) race system, it's bloody loud, dubiously built and without adding true power increases. When the original can rotted through, I had a very solid and quiet stainless system custom made based on the original design's internals. Most after-market cans are rubbish in general, and on Buells fall off rather sooner than later. Interesting yours was running rich, many Buells die an early death by running lean / too hot due to DIY-tuning.

I agree the Buell glitches aren't great but after all you buy a bike that some bloke designed in his shed, then sold to a fashion-driven company whose only interest is in making money (aka HD), while overly strict European legislation makes it virtually impossible to make classic air-cooled engine designs work properly.
In that context, I question even more why a huge and allegedly quality-focussed brand like Honda fits poor rec/reg's, clunky point-controlled fuel pumps, dangerously corroding wheel-rims and brake calipers that don't survive a single winter without intensive looking after; mind you, my NTV 650 (which cost 40% less than the AT in the mid-90's) didn't suffer any of the AT's issues (except the sticky choke, but only twice in 110k-mls) and was better finished / painted, while the earlier 650 AT was lovely too.

Let's hope that Honda get their act together again if/when they bring out their new AT. Hopefully they can do so at a price lower than the shocking 14 grand that the new Super Ten or Duc Multi go for. I also hope they hire Erik Buell to do the design for it, how great would that marriage be? :thumbright:

·
Registered
12 Posts
have an 09 harley streetbob not all harley riders are unsociable i dont care if ya ride a sccoter superbike tralie or what ever

i have a set of vance and hines pipes on my harley and love them a lot of my mates i go on spins with aren't to keen on them but ya know what i dont care some of the exhaust's ya can get for the big traile bikes can be just as loud

just my opinion
:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Apart from a couple that had them (me inc....00 1200 sporty) there is a general hate/slagging of HD, afaic its everyone to their own, the world would be a bloody dull if we were all the same, I just dont get why diffirent kinds of riders and bikes get slagged, its the same with drivers too and diffirent cars. We're all rd users at the end of the day, now I'm not saying for a minute drivers and bikers should wave to each other, but whether your on a scooter or a hog we should acknowledge each other.

When I had the sporty, I nodded/waved to anyone on 2 wheels, I didnt give a fk, but I know eveyone's not like that, I like how some complain about the noise from HDs, what about the noise from some cans some have on their "pigs", I bet there just as loud. I guess I'm sticking up for hogs, I like them, and if I could afford it I'd have a fatbbob. I remember just before xmas and was on the sporty, some guy on a "prilly" 125 (I think) broke down, I stopped, his face as I walked up was one of "wtf does he want" look, poor guy didnt know what to expect. I said "hi, whats wrong?", "not sure, it went kinds spluttery and died".

Having had a few 2st's through the years, I took the plug out, oiled up to fk "that'll be you problem", I asked how long he had it, he said a wk! and had a old CG125 previous, I said these bikes need to be revved to keep the plugs "clean" thats how a 2st works. Cleaned up and started it up Ive never saw such a happy you guy, I guess he's from the era where other bikers now rarely stop, and might have thought he was going to get thumpted for whatever reason :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Apart from a couple that had them (me inc....00 1200 sporty) there is a general hate/slagging of HD, afaic its everyone to their own, the world would be a bloody dull if we were all the same, I just dont get why diffirent kinds of riders and bikes get slagged, its the same with drivers too and diffirent cars. We're all rd users at the end of the day, now I'm not saying for a minute drivers and bikers should wave to each other, but whether your on a scooter or a hog we should acknowledge each other.

When I had the sporty, I nodded/waved to anyone on 2 wheels, I didnt give a fk, but I know eveyone's not like that, I like how some complain about the noise from HDs, what about the noise from some cans some have on their "pigs", I bet there just as loud. I guess I'm sticking up for hogs, I like them, and if I could afford it I'd have a fatbbob. I remember just before xmas and was on the sporty, some guy on a "prilly" 125 (I think) broke down, I stopped, his face as I walked up was one of "wtf does he want" look, poor guy didnt know what to expect. I said "hi, whats wrong?", "not sure, it went kinds spluttery and died".

Having had a few 2st's through the years, I took the plug out, oiled up to fk "that'll be you problem", I asked how long he had it, he said a wk! and had a old CG125 previous, I said these bikes need to be revved to keep the plugs "clean" thats how a 2st works. Cleaned up and started it up Ive never saw such a happy you guy, I guess he's from the era where other bikers now rarely stop, and might have thought he was going to get thumpted for whatever reason :(
that's what its all about enjoyin the bike ya have and helpin out others
:thumbright:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
I detest the bl---y things. Yes why do they (the riders) want to make so much noise.
Because Yanks like noise, normally the sound of their voices though and personally if i had a Yank around me i would love to have a Harley just so i couldn't hear the Yank

·
Registered
388 Posts
You need loud pipes where I come from..keeps the mooses away ;) ..but not the plod unfortunately :bootyshake:..mind you one ticket in 7 years can't be bad.

Thing is it's all about getting a bit of extra performance, along with upgraded fuel management, better cams and free flowing airfilter a blocked up exhaust wouldn't be any good :teeth:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sorry but I rather like the sound bikes make. From my single pot Dominator thumping away, Transalp V twin, Triumph triple or a CBR600RR screaming. I think it's part of the bikes overall appeal, and I for one look forward to ripping off the strangled nasty euro approved can and replacing it with something that performs better, is lighter, is made from a more durable/less rust prone material, looks nicer and sounds good too. I wouldn't have a bike that's SO loud it's uncomfortable to ride but a certain amount of noise adds to the overall experience of being out there on MY bike.
The whole 'Harley Pirate' image is not for me, but each to there own. And as has already been said a lot of non bikers seem to like the Harley Pirates, perhaps they've seen broke back mountain :color:

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
somebody i knows brother bought a new un the once , got it home , and it had no front brake pads in ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
I'm sorry but I rather like the sound bikes make.
Nothing wrong with a stock harley. Nothing wrong with "a bit more than stock" harley. They are badly let down by the whole straight pipes crowd though...

Same goes for the racers and basically anything with a mad zorst on it, but on average harleys do tend to take a lot longer to get out of audible range. ;-)

·
sfx wheels
806 Posts
i used to hae a z1000r with a harris straight through system on it , it was quite loud

pulled up at tallyllyn lake the once , and wondered why every one was lookin at me ?????

sat there for a while , and all you could here was ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nothing

they must of heard me coming from the coast ,

·
Registered
388 Posts
How many horses per liter do those things do nowadays anyway?

I'm guessing my ancient-tech Bee Emm Vee just might still give them a run for their money. ;-)
204's in a standard 96"(1573 ccm)with SE Race Tuner, SE Freeflow airfilter and VH Big Radius 2 into 2 will make a fine V twin street rod. Get you in the region of 100tq/90hp:D

The VH Big Radius reading at 2000 rpm was 107 db..verified by swedish police :D

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
I must admit I liked the found of a mates HardlyMovingSon but it had Super Trapp Exhausts - that was quite pleasant.

·
Registered
388 Posts
So that's 90 bhp out of over 1500cc from a tuned bike? Wow.

My stock GS does still beat that, then. :mrgreen:
60 bhp out of 980cc...
Not exactly tuned...ok a mild tune :geek: and it's good enough for a Harley and it's good enough for me.

Can buy the SE120R bolt in motor if you have the spare cash laying around..:rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 62 Posts