Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I washed my Transalp, yes, I´m going through some weird phase :confused2:

I´ve been riding without the plastic "Bashplate", so had the chance to look where I usually don´t, to find corrosion on the left engine cover. I´m pretty pissed at it, there´s some smaller bits starting to bubble from under the paint in that same cover right on the middle of it too.

The bike was bought in October 2004, and has about 25 or 26000 kms, I think, it has spent about 8 nights outside during that time, and we don´t have salt in our roads here, neither has it been riden on the beach, so no salt from there either. It´s kept in a dry garage about 1,5 meters from a boiler, so it doesn´t get to stay wet for long after I put it away after a wet ride.
I admit it doesn´t get washed up very often, and I only do it when the chain lube fling off really starts to get nasty.

I´m a bit pissed about it, as far as I care there isn´t an excuse for a bike that doesn´t get ridden in salty roads get any corrosion, isn´t it supposed to be aluminium anyway? Next time someone tells me about quality materials I´ll say "buy a Husqvarna", corrosion, on this bike, there´s no excuse for it.

On the other hand, it has never ran as smoothly and nice as these last couple of weeks

It just goes to show you shouldn´t wash your bike and look closely to it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
It only takes a stone chip to pierce the lacquer and allow the corrosion in.

·
Registered
376 Posts
We don't salt the roads here either and my '04 has exactly the same problems in exactly the same place, it was also garaged and never left outside

J

·
0 Posts
Might not be the same issue that I've had. But I've had paintwork do funny bubbling things and was told that it was a reaction to Asbestos from where I keep my bike. If it's by a boiler, it might be that, but it would show up on the tanks paintwork first?

·
Good Moaning
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plastic panels´s paint is ok, the rest of the engine seems to be ok, it´s only that left cover that´s corroding.

I´m going to check around and see if anyone can paint that when I change the oil the next time, or maybe I should just wait for a cheap e-bay part with nice paint to replace it. Or don´t replace it at all, that´s the simplest solution, I´m assuming there´s little chance that the corrosion can become more than just demoralizing towards the looks?

·
Registered
7,720 Posts
Pete, corrosion on an '04 bike kept in those conditions is simply not good enough wether it has been washed or not.

My previous Yam TRX850 had a quality of paintwork that made a joke of Honda's effort, maybe just be grateful the mechanicals are pretty bullet proof (unlike the Yam)

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts