Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, I totally forgot about the idiot approach, maybe that's a good reason to stay away.
Rims have already been drilled for slow running, although that's not an issue.
Might wait for a better one. Might need to save then :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I was at the beach one day and I stopped to admire a spotless tdm 900 that was parked along the prom when the owner a polish man living in Ireland came back to the bike real nice jolly bloke he was then on comes a nutter who owned a cb 500 twin he had drilled and tapped the fork lowers and put grease nipples in them just under where the seals went . the polish bloke just shook his head in disbelief when he saw them I had a job not to crack up . I think the stanchions were destroyed at that stage . I suggested maybe even a cbr 600 front end would fit straight on there and to get in touch with city spares in Dublin if he couldn't find a cb 500 front end . it was the single most whacky bodge I had ever seen .

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

If You look at this picture You'll see that the head lamp holders are missing:

Could it be that someone installed two lengths of pipe outside the fork between the upper and lower fork bridge were the lamp holders should have been?
Or are the holes drilled in the fork tube itself?

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alias, maybe the CB500 owner moved to the States where he bought a DT400 :D
Kjell, looking at your last picture, I wonder if the inside of the DT forks look like that!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I had a DT400 when I first rode off abroad and it didnt have any holes like that ,not that mine looked like that.
Mine was a minter and I really regret selling it.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Alias, maybe the CB500 owner moved to the States where he bought a DT400 :D
Kjell, looking at your last picture, I wonder if the inside of the DT forks look like that!
he probably wouldn't get a passport I'd say he escaped out of a mental hospital , filling forks with grease he must have had :D

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I had a DT400 when I first rode off abroad and it didnt have any holes like that ,not that mine looked like that.
Mine was a minter and I really regret selling it.
still nice to be able to say you had one once upon a time mint ones are asking big money these days . would they be hard to get parts for ? maybe from the states but post would be a killer .

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first bike in 76 was a DT100. I went into the shop to buy an XT500. When I saw the size of it I was scared, what a monster! I know, crazy... But I was 16 and had never ridden a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My first bike in 76 was a DT100. I went into the shop to buy an XT500. When I saw the size of it I was scared, what a monster! I know, crazy... But I was 16 and had never ridden a motorcycle.
I had a dt 100 in 1987 it was a heap it would be heging going along like it had delirium tremors . Charlie Bormann's first bike was a dt 100 he lived in Wicklow at the time . I don't mind Charlie and Ewan a lot of people throw rocks at them shit choice of bikes for the shows they should have took Transalp 650's with up rated suspension custom large capacity alloy tanks and comfort seats they probably wouldn't have fallen over half as much and be moaning like fhuck about it :lol:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
My first bike was a 1969 Norton Commando with Gus Kuhn tank and seat, true clip on bars and the engine came from a sidecar racer and had 4S cams, high compression pistons and tweaked carbs.
(Sometimes it backblowed trough the carbs when starting and caught fire around the air cleaner area).
It was not the optimal first bike, and it's strange that I continued with bikes.

·
Registered
742 Posts
It was not the optimal first bike, and it's strange that I continued with bikes.
Can't beat a bit of excitement to make you like bikes.
Mine was a 1981 Honda XL250S with the 23" front wheel, never had any problems with it and I don't think I even changed the oil before I sold it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts