Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ridden for years
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes difficult to explain, but I do like the first part of this quote; it is not mine.

A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life.
We spend all our time sealed in boxes and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from
home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.
On a motorcycle I know I'm alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer.
I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of sunshine that fall through them. I can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider than Pana-vision and IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard. Sometimes I even hear music. It's like hearing phantom telephones in the shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain, seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind's roar.
But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock 'n roll, dark orchestras, women's voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed.

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
mmm, like it.

If someone asks me why I ride a bike I always answer "that you have to ask means you would never understand".

·
Registered
924 Posts
someone on this site has a signature along the lines of "only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window" .... i like that :)

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
someone on this site has a signature along the lines of "only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window" .... i like that :)
That would be me :) I read something similar in a book. But I can't actually remember which one :confused:

·
Red Blooded Biker
922 Posts
Sometimes difficult to explain, but I do like the first part of this quote; it is not mine.

A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life.
We spend all our time sealed in boxes and cars are just the rolling boxes that shuffle us from
home-box to work-box to store-box and back, the whole time, entombed in stale air, temperature regulated, sound insulated, and smelling of carpets.
On a motorcycle I know I'm alive. When I ride, even the familiar seems strange and glorious. The air has weight and substance as I push through it and its touch is as intimate as water to a swimmer.
I feel the cool wells of air that pool under trees and the warm spokes of sunshine that fall through them. I can see everything in a sweeping 360 degrees, up, down and around, wider than Pana-vision and IMAX and unrestricted by ceiling or dashboard. Sometimes I even hear music. It's like hearing phantom telephones in the shower or false doorbells when vacuuming; the pattern-loving brain, seeking signals in the noise, raises acoustic ghosts out of the wind's roar.
But on a motorcycle I hear whole songs: rock 'n roll, dark orchestras, women's voices, all hidden in the air and released by speed.
That's almost poetic. Been riding 36 years & although I drive a car i'd much rather be with like minded people who ride bikes.

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
I always say you meet the most interesting people.

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
all of the above for me ,,,and many more.

riding a motorcycle is not one thing its many things come together to create a whole sense of harmony:cool::cool::cool::cool:

come rain or shine sleet or **** this is how i feel about bikes and riding:)

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Me too Chris, even in winter when I seem to spend a good amount of time 'eating snot' I still love biking :D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Funny this, I was just writing what was supposed to be a short paragraph about your best 'freeride', kind of sums my feeling up too, much alongside this, but in a story of a milestone and turning point in my life so far.

Got made redundant from a job I loved and was prepared to stay in for life. Decided my best cure was to bugger off on the motorbike for a weekend. Ahem. 10 days later I returned from a trip round France via the Alps, south coast, Andorra and the Pyrenees. What started with a weekend away to refocus turned into me following the Tour de France (my other love) right the across France from the magnificence of Monte Carlo to the highs of Andorra and the infamous Col de Tourmalet. I camped every night in the excellent French civic sites and cooked over a gas fire until the pizzas finally got hold of me. I rode the very best roads that France, or any place, can offer, from the must do Col de Bonette (because my Transalp has the cols gps coordinates plastered on the side of it as this road inspired the bikes name), to the awe inspiring Route de Napoleon through the picturesque Provence for part. I visited most of the famous climbs that have featured in over 100 years of cycle racing, visited some of the most beautiful towns and historic sites that France has to offer, rode some of most beautiful, twisty and many times secluded roads that I'm sure any where in the world would struggle to better. I experienced more in 10 days than I ever thought I would in a lifetime and caught the bug for both adventure riding and France, though I already loved the few places I'd been. After 9 days and my last day of the TDF, I decided I'd had enough of being on my own for most of the day, so I promptly decided to head from home, even though I told the wife I wouldn't be back for at least 2 weeks. 350 miles from the Col de Tourmalet climb in the Pyrenees, I rested in a campsite after leaving after the last cyclist had passed by. Next day I rode home, over 600 miles in one day, desperate to get back to what mattered more than any job...my Wife and the ability to undertake a journey like this with the full support of someone like her. Next was to find a job that would fund my new addiction for life, rather than the old addiction for work. Never looked back since. France beckons again, even if just for a few days.

Got carried away a bit, just soo much passion.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Funny this, I was just writing what was supposed to be a short paragraph about your best 'freeride', kind of sums my feeling up too, much alongside this, but in a story of a milestone and turning point in my life so far.

Got made redundant from a job I loved and was prepared to stay in for life. Decided my best cure was to bugger off on the motorbike for a weekend. Ahem. 10 days later I returned from a trip round France via the Alps, south coast, Andorra and the Pyrenees...
Nice one, Farky.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
For me it was my mothers fault. She was intent on making me independent so she suggested I buy her boyfriends bike.
I took a RAC course, which was the forerunner of the CBT, and then took my test. After a few years I switched to cars but never got the feeling of freedom.
Having returned to biking I have found that something only a biker appreciates.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I looked at my mastif today & allowed him to stick his head out of the rear cab window (pick up) . Up until now- he never liked me getting into my bike gear...we shall see

here he is in upside down dog mode!(a clear alpha)

DSC_0113.jpg

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
i looked at my mastif today & allowed him to stick his head out of the rear cab window (pick up) . Up until now- he never liked me getting into my bike gear...we shall see

here he is in upside down dog mode!(a clear alpha)

View attachment 11768

farcanal more teeth than dog:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I ride 'cos it makes me feel good even when chips are down for various reasons.....the smile always seems to retunr once I get my leg over the saddle.

·
It's Just A Ride....
1,499 Posts
In our world, the one we live and breath twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, we're controlled and manipulated on mass by forces we have no influence over. Choices are made for us, and some limited choices are made by us within the bounderarys. But we all pay our taxes and constantly battle to balance money, time and responsibilites, to do the 'right' thing.

The Bike & I steal time. For a few fleeting moments there's the briefest chance to remember who I am. No need to be a 'Good Citizan', the 'New Man Husband', the 'Understanding Father' nor the 'Computer Consultant', it's a chance just to be me...

And I don't need to ride her all the time and I've no need to do extreme trips nor ride at 150mph or have the latest or the bestest, becuase I know in whatever form she will deliver. She's there just for me; anytime, when I'm lost or misguided and need to remember who I am...

My Bike is Freedom...

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Great thread, and I love the original quote. :thumbup: It sums it up for me too. Although I have very limited riding experience at the moment, I've definitely got the bug and need the freedom and 'space' that riding offers. Interesting to hear so many people having similar experiences/ thoughts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts