Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread for putting the case of the 4 Corners of the UK ride. Bearing in mind any ride for TLD has to tick the following boxes:

Does it capture the public imagination - will it make people go ''bloddy hell''?

Will it attract a decent number of riders? Not just Xrvers.

Is it doable in 24 hours?

Is it both actually, and perceived by the public, to be challenging?

Is it easily understood what we're doing by the people who are likely to be our sponsors?

Is it likely to attrach both riders and sponsors?

Im sure there's more but if the ride ticks all those boxes then it's likely to be a success.

Let's hear your arguements for and against.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
The 4 corners of the UK would it to much, again its an iron butt thing.

The 4 Corner of England (Lands End, Lizzard, Lowestoft, Berwick) now thats about 16hrs ish, around 850Miles, it would have to done on a mix of A/B roads and Motorway

Google Map Link

A30 to A1 - Google Maps

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The 4 corners of the UK would it to much, again its an iron butt thing.

The 4 Corner of England (Lands End, Lizzard, Lowestoft, Berwick) now thats about 16hrs ish, around 850Miles, it would have to done on a mix of A/B roads and Motorway

Google Map Link

A30 to A1 - Google Maps
Certainly ticks the no ferry and the finish in the north(ish) boxes :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Is that really the route - doesnt look like 4 corners to me - Idve though LE - JOG - Lowestoft and somewhere on the Welsh coast.

Looks very long - challenging, but motorways to make it do-able...need route to find that out.
Finished somewhere interesting alright, north or south....whichever, many will have a long ride home as per all other ideas...pattern here..so if its gotta be then at least interesting will make up for it.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
its the most north, east, south and west point of England, i did say England

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
I am just putting up ideas, so all rides get a chance

·
2 bikes = twice as happy
4,354 Posts
Does it capture the public imagination - will it make people go ''bloddy hell''?
4 corners of UK definitely had the "bloody hell" factor as would 4 corners of GB (England, Scotland, &Wales).

Will it attract a decent number of riders? Not just Xrvers.
Probably as it has quite a good ring to it and is not something a rider would normally aim to do.

Start point could be any of the 4 corners so people can minimise journeys to/from start/finish.

Also means there are upto bases for sponsors to advertise their wares, for local publicity opportunities, and as a base that gives a sense of completion of each leg and at the end.

Yes, but it would be a real challenge for UK or for GB.

Iwould suggest the four corners are somewhat articificially set to get the optimum geographic coverage and ensure the do-ability of the event. My Suggestions are: Lizard (south), Lowestoft (East), either St Davids or St Bees (for the West) and Berwick (North) or for the real loons John O'Groats.

There could also be a centre too - various possible locations in the midlands - which could also be the base for central comms and so on.

Is it both actually, and perceived by the public, to be challenging?
I think it is

Is it easily understood what we're doing by the people who are likely to be our sponsors?
As above, 4 corners has a bit of a ring to it and the corners can easily be flexed to accomodate sponsors requirements.
Is it likely to attrach both riders and sponsors?
No more so or less so than LeJog, race the sun etc.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thread for putting the case of the 4 Corners of the UK ride. Bearing in mind any ride for TLD has to tick the following boxes:

The Iron butt association allow 36 hrs for the UK four corners, so far only SIX people have been certified succesful in 36 hours. the IBA don't list the option of 24 hrs.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Iron butt association allow 36 hrs for the UK four corners, so far only SIX people have been certified succesful in 36 hours. the IBA don't list the option of 24 hrs.
right then - not much point in persuing something that cant be done in 24 hours. How about just focusing on the 4 corners of England as mentioned by BMS. The original proposal was the UK, but it seems that's just not practical or doable.

·
Registered
585 Posts
850 odd miles in 16 or so hours is an average of about 53mph and anyone with a trip computer will probably say it's average speed readout is 40-42mph so I would allow more like 18 to 20 hours which leaves 4 for a quick kip and breaks. So 24 hours is doable for the England thing provided you don't have to ride a great distance to your chosen starting point. I'm not daft enough or up for this but I wish anyone trying good luck. Riding back from Les Mans to Rugby in one stretch apart from the ferry was enough for me. And that was on an XJR1300.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
its the most north, east, south and west point of England, i did say England

Sorry - didnt read the England bit.

To be honest, that kind of devalues it for me. UK or nothing. Then again it depends whats recognisible to the sponsoring public.

UK seems more interesting alright, achievable is another question though..im sure many will have a go at a proper endurance event with riding for 20hrs but dont we want to attract many others too.

If it was my first time id say no thanks but having done TLD10 id maybe consider it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts