Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at buying a big trail bike for a while now and have just bought a XR600R. I was wondering though, "why are Africa Twins so prized and so costly used"?

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
I've been looking at buying a big trail bike for a while now and have just bought a XR600R. I was wondering though, "why are Africa Twins so prized and so costly used"?

prepare to get overwelmed by responces!!!!:D

if you drive one you will know why they are so popular! They can do everything you would want from a bike and more!

also they hold there value really well as everybody wants one and since Honda stopped making them they are hard to find nice ones.

Most owners, once they have got one, keep it for many years and pour there heart and soul into one keeping it in tip top condition!

I know how good they are and i dont even owned one, never have!!!

i am on the look out for a old school RD03 650 though.............. :D

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Great allround bike, try doing 200 miles on your XR in the rain! Onroad, offroad, short runs, long distance, a great bike for doing everything. Also the twin engine is absolutely bullet proof, 100,000 miles and just keeps on going!
Whether it's a blast through the woods, or loaded like a pack mule and heading for Europe, you'll struggle to find a better bike!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
One day my gunge covered, corroded high mileager will be worth more than it was brand new. And when that day comes, I'll keep it for best and buy a BMW GS for short trips:D.

·
Born to Slide
1,741 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news about the wrong choice you made! Not too late to reconsider though. Africa Twin - best bike I ever owned - cost so much because we don't sell them lightly.

·
where next?
508 Posts
I won't have to do much more than put in petrol, oil, and new plugs occasionally, and my two motors have enough miles left in them to outlast petrol.

That, and they will bring a smile to my face every ride; I can commute or cross continents; go on or off road; drop it, pick it up and ride on; they look great, sound great, and pull like a train; they aren't stuffed full of computerized unnecessaries. Build quality is great; the bash plate means business and frankly is a work of art; I don't even have a problem with the standard seat on a 400 mile run (lots of people do though)

I'd say that they are proof that newer doesn't always mean better. As my mate says, "It's a tool, not a jewel".

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not! Its the only bike you'll ever need.

If you are lucky enough to own more than one bike then one will always hold a special place in you thoughts. For me it's the AT. The 'Grinnnnn' factor is huge from a bike that only has 60bhp. My other bikes are at least 100bhp and so much faster but they don't feel as special. If I had to keep just one it would be the AT.

I don't think I'm on my own here and certainly not on this site and that's why the price stays high as we don't wan't to part with them cheaply and spend a lot of time keeping them in top condition even though I regularly take it off road. Build quality is good and it's tough and reliable. I'm off to Morocco in three weeks time on it and don't plan on spending much time on the Black stuff.

Try one for a couple of miles and you may be unimpressed but ride one for a day on mixed roads and surfaces and you'll realise why.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
answer iconic....

I was going to get an AT but foolishly believed the hype about it being too big for me and got a 600Alp.... Have toyed with getting an AT but the Alp & RD01 ticks my boxes.. If I had got the AT I don’t thing I would have looked for the RD01...

saying that the Alp is a great bike.. Cheap as chips to buy, and as capable as it big brother.. But does not have that AT presence...mmmmm should I get an Africa Twin and go for the full set

V twin...

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have had an early 600TA for about three years.Originally I bought it as a winter bike to save my shiney VFR from the salt.Well I rode the TA more and more so the VFR went and to be honest I don't miss it.However last year I bought an AT.In the past I had discounted them as being too big and heavy compared to the TA.However now it's the TA that hardly gets ridden and the Africa Twin that gets used all the time.:toothy10:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I bought mine as a project, I already had a lovely KTM 950 Adventure.

A month later sold the KTM and have never regretted a second of it.

I love it and If I decide to stop riding for any reason I will simply polish it up and put it in my Conservatory on a rotating plinth.

It will never ever ever be sold and thats not something I am used to with bikes :rolleyes:

·
Curious Member
19 Posts
Well, I've only owned mine for approx 1mth and 1400 miles, tackled all terrains/long distance with ease, had a few light tumbles off road and a 30mph 20ft slide into a ditch !! Each and every time, just pick her up, dust her off and away i go :toothy2:​

My mk1 1200 bandit is just gathering dust now​

The one person i do ride with occassionally owns a yzf600 thundercat and lets just say i spend most of our ride looking in my mirrors waiting for him:angel2:​

I love it, it really is how people say . . . . . . .​

BULLET PROOF !

And its only just begun . . . . . . . . .​

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
why are Africa Twins so prized?
I went from a run of decent touring / sporty bikes to an RD07a nearly 2 years ago; initially the drop in power was a bit shocking, but after a few rides, esp. some longer ones with an Airhawk attached, it was obvious the bike has, what the French call, a certain..um.. I don't know what :)
I still occasionally want for more power, but every ride brings lifts the spirits & I've done more miles p.a. than any bike since my 1st one in '98. Have got some good value luggage & bought a tent just so I could start touring a bit longer distance.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
There have been, in the past a few bikes I have been put off buying for various reasons. My CR500 supermoto was one, was put off as they were described as an "animal" which while technically true, did not stop it being possibly the most entertaining bike I have ever had.

Same as the AT. Never bought one as I always wanted "power" and handling and so on. Step forward a few years and having owned a few motards, an AT came up at the right price so I though, sod it.

The questions that come to mind after certain experiences like your first ride on a CR500/AT/whatever are always along the lines of "why didn't I do this sooner?" A bit like when I shagged that playboy model and her three friends ... ok maybe not, but the premise is still the same.

AT's are great bikes, I don't know of anybody who has bought one and not liked it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts