Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visualisation -

Easy to mentally visualise for anyone explaining the run to anyone else with two internationally recognised land marks.

Both have parking areas and you are left in no doubt you have arrived, there should be a sodding big tower in front of you and your bike. Nice photo oppertunity also.

Challenge -

The ride would be done WITHOUT motorways

That's 16hours 30+ mins with constant movment. To put that in to perspective I plotted an SS1000 route around the UK and that comes out with the same riding time of constant riding! Anyone thinking that a Towers ride will be easy will be in for a shock. But with the removal of the motorways it means the speed is slower. But it does mean that you can do this on a 125 L plate.

Selling it for charity -

MAWF is children and people will give to charity for sitting in a bath of beans if it means helping kids. So raising money from non bikers is not an issue. You have the USP of no motorways to capture the media attention if you want that run. MAWF has an office in Paris and oppertunity to have a send off from Blackpool and an arrival shot at Paris is there. That would have to be sorted by MAWF and the XRV team.

The route -

Blackpool Tower to Eiffel Tower - Google Maps

I have done many an endurance event and this one appeals to me so much that I will be doing this run anyway. If XRV picks another route then I will do whatever they come up with.

Logistics -

The ferry is gone and the channel tunnel is used in this route. This gives far superior felxiblity over the ferry. If you miss the train time you get another one in no more than an hour.

I think about 17 riders missed the early ferry on the TLD2010 and could have been left sitting on the dock of the bay! It's far less hastle and pressure to do it by train.

Accomodation -

As with this year you have the options of the YHA as they places both in Blackpool and in Paris. If you cannot get a B and B in Blackpool there is something seriously wrong!

Summary -

• You have a challenging ride of over 16 hours
  • Doable in one day - The Longest Day
  • You have a selling point of no motorways
  • You have a selling point of two international land marks
  • You do not have the cost and issue of the ferry. With tshirt decal and discounted ferry I was £156 down before I even put the keys in the ignition.
  • Chunnel - £25 return on ave - you want to stay a few extra days in the City of light? Just a call changes your booking. I have done this myself a few times for Europe runs. Once cost me nothing to change the day and others cost £5!
  • L plates and scooters and 125cc could come along.
  • The Charity MAWF can get directly involved in the launch and arrival.
  • The logistical nightmare of booking people on ferries is gone and changing boarding times is also gone
  • Photo oppertunities galore and time for the riders to mingle at the start and the end of the ride.

The option is yours

James691

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
I have to admit i like the sounds of this ride...

I like the fact that with the train there is no pressure for a dealine so you don't miss the boat, pardon the pun.

It's non-motorway but if there is a problem (puncture,chain) whatever, you can always hop onto a motorway to make time up if you really have to, and again, no ferry to miss.

I think this idea has legs and can be discussed over the coming months (as can other ideas ofcourse)... thoughts and comments people?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
May Contain Nuts
2,350 Posts
a very well made argument I think,

I was initially put off by the thought of crossing the channel but if that's all the tunnel costs then it's not bad.

and that route goes within 5 miles of my house :thumbright:

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Visualisation -

Easy to mentally visualise for anyone explaining the run to anyone else with two internationally recognised land marks.

Both have parking areas and you are left in no doubt you have arrived, there should be a sodding big tower in front of you and your bike. Nice photo oppertunity also.

Challenge -

The ride would be done WITHOUT motorways

That's 16hours 30+ mins with constant movment. To put that in to perspective I plotted an SS1000 route around the UK and that comes out with the same riding time of constant riding! Anyone thinking that a Towers ride will be easy will be in for a shock. But with the removal of the motorways it means the speed is slower. But it does mean that you can do this on a 125 L plate.

Selling it for charity -

MAWF is children and people will give to charity for sitting in a bath of beans if it means helping kids. So raising money from non bikers is not an issue. You have the USP of no motorways to capture the media attention if you want that run. MAWF has an office in Paris and oppertunity to have a send off from Blackpool and an arrival shot at Paris is there. That would have to be sorted by MAWF and the XRV team.

The route -

Blackpool Tower to Eiffel Tower - Google Maps

I have done many an endurance event and this one appeals to me so much that I will be doing this run anyway. If XRV picks another route then I will do whatever they come up with.

Logistics -

The ferry is gone and the channel tunnel is used in this route. This gives far superior felxiblity over the ferry. If you miss the train time you get another one in no more than an hour.

I think about 17 riders missed the early ferry on the TLD2010 and could have been left sitting on the dock of the bay! It's far less hastle and pressure to do it by train.

Accomodation -

As with this year you have the options of the YHA as they places both in Blackpool and in Paris. If you cannot get a B and B in Blackpool there is something seriously wrong!

Summary -

• You have a challenging ride of over 16 hours
  • Doable in one day - The Longest Day
  • You have a selling point of no motorways
  • You have a selling point of two international land marks
  • You do not have the cost and issue of the ferry. With tshirt decal and discounted ferry I was £156 down before I even put the keys in the ignition.
  • Chunnel - £25 return on ave - you want to stay a few extra days in the City of light? Just a call changes your booking. I have done this myself a few times for Europe runs. Once cost me nothing to change the day and others cost £5!
  • L plates and scooters and 125cc could come along.
  • The Charity MAWF can get directly involved in the launch and arrival.
  • The logistical nightmare of booking people on ferries is gone and changing boarding times is also gone
  • Photo oppertunities galore and time for the riders to mingle at the start and the end of the ride.
The option is yours

James691
Nope.

Didn't get me I'm afraid.

MAWF kids seeing us off at Blackpool, Make a Wish foundation kids meeting us in Paris, a night in the city of Luuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvveeeeeee, breakfast in the sun on a pavement cafe, leasurely jaunt home and a no grief train.

Crap.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
got me

·
Registered
379 Posts
Just had a look on the MAW website, They are currently doing a London/Paris pushbike ride Set off on 23/6/10 four day event.

looks like an annual event.

If it is then perhaps it's a bit too similar to the 2 towers?

Axe

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a look on the MAW website, They are currently doing a London/Paris pushbike ride Set off on 23/6/10 four day event.

looks like an annual event.

If it is then perhaps it's a bit too similar to the 2 towers?

Axe
:blob4: Excellent, so not only would this have the two towers but the two bikes. Big bikers and Little riders! If XRV spoke to them to see if we could arrange a meet at the same time at the Paris Tower you have even more publicity at the end of the ride.

Not surprised they going for this - rather like LE to JOG it is an iconic route and for good reason. It's a beautiful ride with a lot of pros for a charity event. The route is one of the best scenic routes in Northern Europe.

You know how many push bikes are doing this?

·
Registered
379 Posts
No it doesn't say on their website,
The pushbike event is actually run by 'Across the Divide' a charity event fundraising company

Axe

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it doesn't say on their website,
The pushbike event is actually run by 'Across the Divide' a charity event fundraising company

Axe
Ah ok then mate, it was worth a look at :thumbright:

I had a look at events on the google machine -

blackpool tower to eiffel tower bike ride - over 3340 resluts

5 peaks challenge - 13,000,000 results. One of the things I didn't like about the 5/3 peaks is that I have done them (on foot of course) and you will not get a motorbike up there. I have serious reservations that any national trust would give permission for 50 - 100 motorbikes to go riding up the peaks anyway even if it was possible for the more off road bikes. So what you have is the riding past the 5 peaks challenge. For me it just does not have that same ring for an already very well established charity event.

I don't mind what XRV picks as I'll ride anyway and if they go for riding past the peaks then great! I get to put on the 2 Towers. :thumbright:

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
i completely agree with James on this, i think it make the more interesting ride

·
almost human? Possibly
396 Posts
I think the idea that MAW could be at the start and end is good. I think someone suggested the 3 towers for this years ride and quite like the idea of this but as so many peps have said I am happy to do the ride whatever the route is :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Just the type of constructive propsal id expect from you James - and i only met you on the ferry on the way home.

All sounds good so far - liking the commercial side of it and ability to sell it to larger numbers on other types of bikes. Like the chunnel, the sun, the ease of return and emergency routes.

Challenges: Finishing location..do u really want to go into Paris centre that late.
Accommadation...im sure most would prefer somewhere we can all bunk up like in Dingle..city centre maybe not the best for this, though I may be wrong, but if so then this effects finish location too.
3 Towers..really want to go through Londinium land?

Solutions: Finish on the day at a location outside Paris where we can all bunk/camp for the nite and party together followed by a run with 'everyone' into Paris where we just stop the traffic on the Champs 'as you do' for a group photo and create some coverage for the charity/charity meet type thing. Everyone would arrive at the same time and feel equally part of the sucess. Then we can either bugger off home going our own way, ride back as a big group via London/MAWF in numbers/go on a wee tour to Reims for some champers and another night on the bubles!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
:blob4: Excellent, so not only would this have the two towers but the two bikes. Big bikers and Little riders! If XRV spoke to them to see if we could arrange a meet at the same time at the Paris Tower you have even more publicity at the end of the ride.

Not surprised they going for this - rather like LE to JOG it is an iconic route and for good reason. It's a beautiful ride with a lot of pros for a charity event. The route is one of the best scenic routes in Northern Europe.

I know of at least 4 BIG charity events L2P this year and thats not all of them. BHF, Cancer charities and Sportives in all probably make it more than a dozen in total over the peak cycling season. Entrants range from 200 to nearly 1000 and they are all pretty professionally run.

In other cycling countries, Belgium, Holland, Germany..they all do the same too - I wouldnt be suprised if there where 100 various events like this, ie finishing in Paris...yet NONE actually finish IN Paris but all Finish outside, party/dinner/drink and then meet the next day on the Champs. Some even finish the day before the Tour de France but they are the biggest ones.

None of this would confuse our event in any way or reduce its value...in fact it would just add to the value as many would know what the prestidge is involved with it...charities and press included.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
3 Towers..really want to go through Londinium land?
Well, it's supposed to be a challenge, Nigel! As it happens, I live under a mile from Tower Bridge so at risk of being YELLED at for putting a suggested route in a road book, I'd happily suggest how to get into and out easily (essentially the A2 into London, turn right at the Bricklayers Arms for half a mile, cross the bridge, wiggle a bit, take the A10 N and follow it out. If we could recruit scouts to marshall the key junctions...)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Challenges: Finishing location..do u really want to go into Paris centre that late.
Solutions: Finish on the day at a location outside Paris where we can all !
If I knew how to do multiple quotes I would highlight other coments like the above,
hints that the event may be over shadowed by the cycle event, problems with access/accomadation, the French MAWF may be different than the UK MAWF,
personaly I don't mind a long jerney as a build up to the event but after I just want to chill out on the night then get home.
SOLUTION, two towers, Paris to Blackpool, no problem getting into Blackpool any time,loads of accomadation and the right side of the channel for most riders to get home without worrying if they feel the need to stay in bed longer the morning after :blob3:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
to be honest i was starting to think that maybe i'd done my last longest day..

but unexpectedley this event has made me think again this idea seems to have a lot going for it

and i agree with you stuart, blackpool is reasonably central in the uk for everyone to not have as epic a journey home after the event..

and the non motorway aspect is music to my ears as a transalp rider it will certainly make the fuel bill less which is a major consideration for me for doing these things.

and the frequency of the chunnel service gives it a flexibility that until now didn't seem possible.

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
Point of order: this was originally proposed to be Paris to Blackpool, not the other way round.

One of the concerns of the committee members who have thought about it is that the first two ended in the South and the third abroad. It's only fair that the next should end in the North. I was hoping for Scotland to be fair to our many Scottish members, but Blackpool is a reasonable compromise.

·
A Scotsman....
773 Posts
Point of order: this was originally proposed to be Paris to Blackpool, not the other way round.

One of the concerns of the committee members who have thought about it is that the first two ended in the South and the third abroad. It's only fair that the next should end in the North. I was hoping for Scotland to be fair to our many Scottish members, but Blackpool is a reasonable compromise.
finishin the other way around wouldnt to big a problem as us scots can get the ferry to newcaslte or Roysth.... Just a thought

·
Craigypops
6,747 Posts
finishin the other way around wouldnt to big a problem as us scots can get the ferry to newcaslte or Roysth.... Just a thought
Was just thinking the same... We could get the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull and it's an all nighter so could get on at 1900, sh!t, Shower, Shave and off to the bar for food+drink then a nights kip and silly 90 mile ride home, jobs a good un`...

Even if we started in Paris i would probably get a ferry over to save long slog...

Just looked on P&O and can get a 2 berth cabin for £190 so could go halfs with Derek and i might be able to haggle them down with the charity element :) £95 might sound a lot but when you consider the fuel costs for such a long trip to the start and the added benefit of a nights kip while some else takes you there it doesn't look too bad at all.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts