Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loved the old Google Maps.
Easy to work with, and I loved the way one could place the figure on almost any road and see the pictures and find out if the road was worth riding.

Although Google introduced the new Google Maps I could still use the old Google Maps though different web adresses but not so anymore.

I do not like the new version at all.

What tool do You Guys/Girls use?
I have tried Bing Maps since it is very simmillary to the old Google Maps, but it lacks some features.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
I too mourn the loss of Google Maps as a usable entity! Motoloco uses Google as base source and is not bad.

I usually use a road atlas and Mapsource together for routing (I cannot get on with Basecamp in spite of many attempts) or If at a PC I really rate Via Michelin website.

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
They also seem to have removed the scale bar, and some of the options in the 'directions' part. Definitely a downgrade.

Google make a habit of screwing working software with "upgrades". Wait till you try Lollipop if you use an Android phone.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used Google Maps for planning routes by the computer.
It was so easy to find good roads.
I always put down the "little yellow guy" on the road I was interested in, and then I could see the scenery along the road I was interested in.
It was also very easy to drag and drop the rout on to other strechtes or routes.

I have a TomTom navigator and I do not use that software for routeplanning, maybe I should start to learn how to do that.

I'll let You know if I find a good substitute for the old Google Maps.

Cheers!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all, I use Microsoft Autoroute. I find it very clear, especially being able to switch to a view of country borders. One feature I do use a lot for new regions is the 'Drive Time' function which can give you a pretty accurate idea of where you need to stop for the night. I then convert the routes to gpx for my Garmin.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts