Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking for a way to widen the dominator footrests for a while, a search on e bay a few weeks ago came up with these for about £6 since the weather was shite today i decided to have a go at fitting them.

I've got wide footrests on the xr and it does make a difference on your feet when standing up for long periods i measured the width of those for an idea of how wide to bend these to i used a socket that was 40mm outside diameter and clamped it in the vice to bend them

Had to space the socket off in the vice to finish the bend

after the bending i ended up with these

I cut and welded on some lugs to the existing footrests to take the wider bits

Then welded on the extensions
Old and new together

and the two done

and fitted to the the bike for a look

I've sand blasted them and their in the paint shop drying (my shed :D ) as i type I'll put another photo of the finished job up when done quite pleased with them and only 3 hours work on what would have been a boring day :D

·
Registered
942 Posts
nice neat job :thumbup:, think its really the only practical way of having wider pegs on the dommie with its odd peg arrangement ,
I bought some of those same wideners for my bike a couple of years back , put them down somewhere in the shed and they still haven't reappeared :rolleyes:

·
Older, but no wiser!
3,836 Posts
Very nice work indeed.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies :thumbup: I've been on a few test ride's with the footrests fitted they dont feel that much different apart from them making my foot too close to the gear lever and having a few clumsy gear changes until i got used to them. I think the bigest difference is they look far better than the orriginal ones.
If i done the job again i probably would keep the front of the footrest where it is and widen them all towards the rear all the paint wear is on the front of the pegs none of the paint has worn off the rear at all which sugests i dont flat foot the pegs when riding so im not taking advantage of the greater surface area still they look good :D

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have fitted that style of footrest on each of my trail bikes but did not make my own just brought Chinese Cheapo ones (£10-15 posted from China). I use them as they are slightly lower than the standard ones although I have also lowered some with spacers.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have fitted that style of footrest on each of my trail bikes but did not make my own just brought Chinese Cheapo ones (£10-15 posted from China). I use them as they are slightly lower than the standard ones although I have also lowered some with spacers.
I got the same ones from the states for my xr400 unbelievably cheap and good quality unfortunately not available for the dominator :thumbup:

·
Registered
367 Posts
widening my pegs is in one of my to do list. someone was supposed to make me one about a year ago but never materialised. your post has just reminded me and a way how to do it. thanks.

ps, it has been mentioned that on dominators when you take the peg rubbers off, inside is a serrated metal footpeg. is that correct? is that what you are using as the peg to weld on to?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Borrowed one of your photos for my Ebay listing........ hope you don't mind? Discounts available for all members of xrv.org.uk now that I'm an Africa Twin owner !!:p

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Problem wheres the link :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, thanks for the help and ideia

Just mounted on my bike today and it's a lot better for the standing position ! My dad made all the welding and bending, we are just missing the sand blast and paint.

Thanks again,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I just ordered a pair so as I cant weld to save my life I suppose I will have to send jnr on a welding course.;););)
Two weeks after ordering my parts to do this job my package finally arrived................but it was empty.:(:(:(
The idiot in the shop had probably just thrown the parts in the envelope and the bits of metal cut through the envelope and they must have fell out in transit...:sad2::sad2::sad2:
Now I have all the hassle of claiming a refund from ebay....
As expected no reply from the seller...
Instead of waiting another 14 days for a replacement ,I went to the local blacksmith shop armed to the teeth with a six pack of Tuborg and had the guy cut me a couple of pieces and paid him with beer.:D:D:D
Did about an hours cutting, filing and bending and rode over to my sons workshop to give them to him to weld up for me.
Hopefully I can paint em up and fit them at the weekend....:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts