Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what point would you say panniers are too wide.
Had racks made up for the RD04, great workmanship, but, they are 60cm wide. My panniers are big but not that wide, 25cm each, which would then give me an arse like Doris at 110cm. I'll not be doing any filtering with them on so I'm not bothered about traffic, I'd just like to know if anyone else needs wide load markers.

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
110, ouch...

My GS is 89 cm across the panniers. The rack is 40 cm wide, including the extra bit on the left for the exhaust. Filters just fine with panniers. :)

The AT is a bit more lardy in the rear with those plastic cheeks, but I didn't think it'd be 60 cm...

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
110, ouch...

My GS is 89 cm across the panniers. The rack is 40 cm wide, including the extra bit on the left for the exhaust. Filters just fine with panniers. :)

The AT is a bit more lardy in the rear with those plastic cheeks, but I didn't think it'd be 60 cm...
I've got 105cm stuck somewhere in my head around the GSA. It might be bar or pannier width but regardless it still filters with style :)

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I leave the plastics off and lower the pipes I could get it down to a tidy 35cm, left hand side would be easy to cover with a bit of DiBond, RHS would need a bit of fabrication due to the RegRec and header tank.
Is it worth the hassle and the money though.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
the side entrance to the house where I live is 76 cm at its narrowest point so I have to take off my givi e28's in front of the house before I ride the transalp around the back it kind of cramps my style I used to just pull up walk in the path pull the gate open and bomb in with out missing a beat take about 12 seconds now its turn off bike key in box click it off same with other box open front door leave boxes into house glasses fog up these nights open gate start bike ride in a lot less cooler than I used to thanks a lot celtic tiger property developing arsehole .

still it could be worse next door have to put on wellies to walk around the back on the footpath when it rains heavy . still it could be worse at least I have off street parking under a cover no shed hear unfortunately . I know the boxes are not too wide around 90 cm I think . one of my covers I use 2 because I have 2 covers anyway it got a big rip in it the other day and it had several small rips at one end so I stuck it on the sewing machine and its like new agin . who ever made the pannier racks on my bike must have only had e21's as the back pegs cant be reached with the boxes on . I will have to remount them in the future .

·
Registered
497 Posts
My 1500 Goldwing is 870mm wide :) & my @ with Holan rack and ARDcases is 1070mm wide :eek:, which is the same width as the standard handlebars

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
Im sure there was some figures knocking around (like a 1metre limit or recommendation in uk, or might be europe as they like rules) I tjink no wider than handlebars is a good rule of thumb.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The 1 metre rule applies to trailers, there is no width restriction for a solo motorcycle only weight

·
Bloody furriner
5,010 Posts
In .nl the width restriction for motorcycles is something daft like 2m. Which I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless you're talking sidecar. :)

I've had a leftover pack of laminate flooring across the back, 1.40m wide. Really had to keep telling myself not to duck between the rows of cars that time. :mrgreen:

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
The only problem I can see is if the panniers are to far outside of the rear light, you may need to put some small marker lights on them , I would at lease put reflectors on them

·
a Salty follower.
1,313 Posts
I guess you need toask the question 'why do you need to beso wide? Thinking about theeffect on handling and economy, Im looking forward to me e21's fitted later this month.

·
one of the lost boys
6,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Why...... cos I have panniers that I like.
I've used them extensively through Europe on the Varadero, but on the Twin they look fekking huge and wide, the mass between the two bikes is not that much. but 10cm of panniers, either side wider than the bars, looks really out of place on the twin. Even if I was to get new panniers or proper mounted soft luggage its still going to be wide. Unless I buy something with only 15cm width.
I would like to ditch the plastics and have bespoke racks made almost flush to the subframe...common sense tells me I dont need it, my wallet tells me I dont need it...I was hoping for answers back along the lines of mine are xxx wider I wouldn't want to go any wider.

·
luddite
1,814 Posts
"Does my bum look big in this...?"

The boxes are "Honda" (rebadged Givi's) 45l jobbies.

1M10 wide if memory serves. never stopped me filtering, just have to be alittle more careful. When the twins were born I transported 2 folding cots across the back of the bike & they were only slightly wider...

·
Shorter member :-)
1,944 Posts
Xt12 is about 105cm with panniers on, I aint no problem filtering :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts