Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
The hype/advertising looked like a giant trailie was coming but it looks like 'just' another big road bike to me. Saying that, I'll probably fall in love with it at first sight :rolleyes:

But at 13.5K, it'll have to be nicer then the pics!!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
The full story: 2010 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

my thoguths exactly and to be honest (with apologies to our GS's) I think this bike looks really good...I still can't understand why Honda will end up having to play catching up game when they could've srated this long time ago without letting BMW dominate the market as they have done for the last few years...:confused:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I think as the super ten looks like the Vara challenger the new Vara which is Rumoured may be Hondas answer.

·
Senile member, who r u ?
1,364 Posts
I guess Honda have a bit of a dilemma, do they up grade the Varadero, re-vamp the Africa Twin, combine the two, or bring out a big Tourer with a tank the size of a milk bottle ! (remember them ?)oh yeah they done that. In any event, they are definately playing catch up and not taking the lead.

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
looks better than the new multistrada monstrosity, and the mockup of the new 1200 v4 varadero/AT from honda.
but with yamahas reputation for stupid new bike pricing (GTS, bulldog, Vmax anyone?) and if the cost of the new VFR is any indication of what honda will charge, a 1200GS is getting to look like good value.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Lovely styling, might have to wait for a second-hand one though...

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
make it two then....

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed. It looks like a great alternative to an (even more) bloaty touring bike, but I have no interest in another big tourer thing.

What do you do if a 50bhp single isn't quite enough, but you don't want a something that makes over 100bhp and weighs about 230kg :confused:

800GS is about the only serious choice at the moment. Still a bit worried by the runs-so-lean-only-clever-technology-stops-it-exploding approach though. How long will the clever technology last, and when the bike is 7 or 8 years old and breaks, will it be economical to fix?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
agree 100% on technlogy debate...too much of it on bikees surely is not good news...IMO...

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Caponord is a better bike and could have been picked up for under £5k a few years ago.. as I have said on another thread.. disappointed..

we just have more of the same... big lard @rse tourer :hitler:

800GS and the 700 alp is filling this slot, now a 950cc parrallel twin GS or a 1000cc Alp without the traction control turbo intercooler gismos.. pure & simple.. would hit the mark .. make it lighter.. not cleverer!!!!!:eek:ccasion8:

The 1200 Boxer GS will still hold its crown here.. lighter, lower CoG and better residuals... ( but I never said that )

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
I'm pretty disappointed. It looks like a great alternative to an (even more) bloaty touring bike, but I have no interest in another big tourer thing.

What do you do if a 50bhp single isn't quite enough, but you don't want a something that makes over 100bhp and weighs about 230kg :confused:

800GS is about the only serious choice at the moment. Still a bit worried by the runs-so-lean-only-clever-technology-stops-it-exploding approach though. How long will the clever technology last, and when the bike is 7 or 8 years old and breaks, will it be economical to fix?
exactly what I was thinking.

·
Stop looking at my Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Caponord is a better bike and could have been picked up for under £5k a few years ago.. as I have said on another thread.. disappointed..

we just have more of the same... big lard @rse tourer :hitler:

800GS and the 700 alp is filling this slot, now a 950cc parrallel twin GS or a 1000cc Alp without the traction control turbo intercooler gismos.. pure & simple.. would hit the mark .. make it lighter.. not cleverer!!!!!:eek:ccasion8:

The 1200 Boxer GS will still hold its crown here.. lighter, lower CoG and better residuals... ( but I never said that )

You're not wrong, pretty dumb to go up against the 1200 which is so proven unless you were going to nail it on price. To come in more expensive, albeit fully loaded, than a BMW is suicide.

You're only going to sell to those who would rather not be seen on a GS... damn where's the order book :D

The model comes as shown by the way with all the addons included for the first year at 13.5K

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
You're only going to sell to those who would rather not be seen on a GS... damn where's the order book :D

The model comes as shown by the way with all the addons included for the first year at 13.5K
yup so it's a statement buy. like the KTM ( :hitler: )

800GS looking good..:clown:
saying that we are inundated with 700TAs up this way :thumbup:

made the mistake of sitting on 1200 GS.... they feel much lighter than they look,,,:lol:

I think if you want an AT replacment you need to build it yourself.. *****??? :thumbup: )

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
What I don't understand is why it is only the sports bike market that is NOT getting heavier with bigger engines.

With the technology and engineering available, why are bikes so bloody heavy and getting heavy, and with the technology and engineering available why are CCs the only answer to getting more power?!?

I am not the slightest bit interested in any new bikes at the moment (good thing too as I can't afford one) simply because they are either too single minded (sports and Motards) or too fat (everything else)....and the trend keeps getting stronger!

Motorcycling is painting itself into a corner, I think... They will forget how you can get more from less, the way they used to.

Moaning over...

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
You're not wrong, pretty dumb to go up against the 1200 which is so proven unless you were going to nail it on price.
Proven in as much as there is a big following, but not in terms of the machine if the reliability reports are true. I suspect the Yamaha will be more reliable, but with that level of tech on it, it seems to me to be a bad bet for riding too far from a dealer with computerised diagnostic equipment....

Overall I like the look of it more than I thought I would. In some respects it seems more like what the Super Ten might have evolved into, unlike the Varadero from the Africa Twin.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Can't say I'm too impressed by the new SuperTen, although I'd need to see it in the flesh. The thing is, it's just too big and heavy by half, even if you're only ever going to use it on road.

If I was going to go down that route ( I'm not, my TA700 is only a year old and I'm far too happy with it ) , then I'd buy a TDM900 a bit more poke, add a taller screen and some hand guards plus some luggage, and pocket a few grand in change.

Honda need to re-invent the 'Fireblade' of adventure bikes - 900cc with the size and weight of a 600. Maybe with the new Vara going to 1200cc then there'll be a suitable niche between it and the TA ?

Sadly that seems a distant dream at the moment.

·
In search of 7th gear!
933 Posts
£13,500?

Come on, a KTM adventure R is £11,534 new... I can spend 2 grand on farkles and still have a nicer bike. Or keep the money in my pocket and pay for 10 chain replacements (since the Yam has shaft drive).

BMW had the right idea when they made the 800GS, who'll follow?

JB

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Honda need to re-invent the 'Fireblade' of adventure bikes - 900cc with the size and weight of a 600.

got it in a nut shell.. :thumbup: well put

1 - 20 of 102 Posts