Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hoping to travel the East coast of Ireland later this year North to South and wondering if i should take my passport as I.D. and for ferry crossing there and back.
any ideas? ta!

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
I was told no passport required, then as I was getting onto the ferry in Wales a nice man in uniform asked to see my passport and then searched me all over!

He still, writes!

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
A passport is still the most common form of ID so If using a boat to go to another island it is best to take it with you.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The strange thing is that if you enter the Republic direct from mainland UK you will often be asked for your passport. If you go via Northern Ireland you will cross the border like it's not there. When I did that last time only a slight change in road markings indicated that I had gone from one sovereign nation to another; no signs, no booths, no officials.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
hoping to travel the East coast of Ireland later this year North to South and wondering if i should take my passport as I.D. and for ferry crossing there and back.
any ideas? ta!
Technically - NO

As a good idea - YES

This is from the Irish Ferries website, and will be relevant also to all on the TLD who've not taken the ferry to Ireland before:

Ireland/Britain Routes
Irish Ferries recommend all passengers bring a passport with them. Irish and British citizens do not strictly require a passport to travel between the two countries - some form of identification is however required.
Photo ID, Bank Cards or bills for house utilities addressed to you are all acceptable and useful means of identification.
Please note that all nationalities except Irish or British require passports. Non-EU nationals should check with the British or Irish embassy before travelling as they may also need a visa. Passengers who turn up at our ports without valid documentation may not be allowed to enter either Ireland or Britain.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The choice is yours.
I have been across many times and will be there again in May for the NW200.
I have never been challenged.
But I always take my driving licence with me.
RoP. :cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not sure about the passport, but you are required to carry your
driving licence with you at all times :thumbup:

Maybe a good idea to have both!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts