Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,my neighbour has a XL125 varadero think it is 2004/05 when you go to start the bike there is just a single click it does not repeat just one click coming from around the fuse box area, he bump starts the bike and it runs fine,he also says that sometimes it does start,he has ordered a new battery..any sugguestions?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Sounds like the battery has enough juice to switch the starter relay on, but not enough to turn the starter motor. Did he put a voltmeter on the battery before he condemned it? I'd check all the high current connections as well; battery terminals, engine/starter earth, relay connections, etc.

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did he put a voltmeter on the battery!lol..i charged the batt for him and he wired it onto the bike the wrong way around! haha so to answer question no !,he came back and told me what happened so after looking over the bike for him noticed the rectifier 30a fuse blown cos of it so replaced fuse and told him it was probably the battery unfortunately my charger doesnt have a read out but does charge,it was an old battery at least 10yrs so thought it might be the reason,but yes will do all of your fore mentioned connections, the bike has sat outside and been sadly neglected,advised him to clean it up and garage it when not using it,will let you know,going to go see if he is in now

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
10 years isn't bad for a battery, especially if the bike has been neglected. Probably worth changing anyway, but do get him to check those connections as well. Sounds like he could do with your help:thumbup:

·
Steve
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes sorry i ment 30a fuse on the solenoid,appears it was the battery so happy days,he visited one of our local dealers(private dealer) non francised and has put a deposit down on a 2012 cbr 250? ,wouldnt have been my choice but i think he is still keeping the varadero as he has it all cleaned up now,i had also fitted a new horn for him as its due mot,private dealer is looking £2100 for the cbr he also has an old pan european and a 1000cc cbr probably for around 1k which is what i would look at,big trailies are either pricey or rare for around that £ it seems here in londonderryN.I anyway,would def cherish a big varadero/transalp/africian twin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts