Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since posting up this_thread a few months ago, my continuing war with pressure-type pain while riding continues. On the way up from Piel Island, I was holding my helmet chin bar & pulling it away from my head for at least 1/2 of the longest leg of around 3 hrs riding (and recently I've felt pain starting after as little as 40 minutes riding). However, when we stopped at Langholm, leading up to which my forehead felt like it was in a tightening vice, once we'd pulled up, the pain disappeared & I didn't need to take the helmet off....
After discussion with a few friends (thanks Sunnybrook) realisation dawned that wind pressure could be the root cause, hence I've been looking at taller screens, and narrowed it down to either:
- MRA_Vario or
- Givi_Touring
I don't have an issue with noise really, always wear plugs no matter how short the journey, and so far haven't had any issues with buffeting, which makes me think the air flow has been directly onto my visor (possibly concentrating the pressure...?)
The MRA seems to be the best for suiting a range of riders. I'm 6', with long legs (34"), so am hoping the screen will re-direct the airflow up & over my head, which may or may not cause problems when it rains.

Anyone of a similar size advise their experiences with either?
Much gratitude, Rob.

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
slow down;)
Not bad suggestion - Im 6'4" with slightly longer legs than you. I get a lot of buffetting on motorway journey's and did not feel safe at all....or used to until I realised slowing down to 70mph resolves this. My motorway journeys are a lot more relaxed now!! and more enjoyable as a result.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
slow down
Believe me, speed is not a contributing factor - I could count the times I've gone over 70 this year on one foot.
Bimbling out to East Lothian last weekend, barely got over 60 for a few seconds, pain just starting to appear at 35 - 40 mins.
It's getting me down; if I can't find a cure, riding will no longer be enjoyable & I may have to stop :cwm10:

·
it's about an hour......
2,198 Posts
What type of helmet do you have? I use a normal road type full face helmet and am currently looking to move towards an enduro style helmet (basically a motorcross helmet with a visor). I went into one bike shop and they advised against it as at speed it may force the helmet up. But I want one for trail riding, my helmet just wont do on the trails. So maybe helmet style is a problem?

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Powerbronze.

Tall screen. And really nice people to do business with.

·
OVALTEENY !!!
6,063 Posts
Hi Rob

To throw a third option into the mix for you to look at I have a Powerbronze tall screen (touratech sell this rebadged as their own)

I'm a similar build to you and have same AT. 6' and 32 "inside leg.

My seat is higher than standard and on long trips I use an Airhawk

I have a Tour-X helmet. I do not have any of the problems you are having. I can ride with the visor up comfortably at 70 mph. In bad weather the spray is not directed at the visor

Pity your not nearby you could have a go. If anyone near you has these screens why not swap your set onto their bikes and test ride them

Some nice mountain bikes you've got there. Here is my trusty stead that has been well used since 2002 - Dawes FS Edge Team

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd seen the Powerbronze one, but the garish colours on their site put me right off... Looks better in your pic though, Paul.

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
Ca I also suggest a trip to an osteopath. A few years ago I found riding my X11 agony after 30 miles or so. Considered selling it. Went to an osteopath and was told that the problem was caused not from the X11/riding position, but from driving a mini with cones and dampers, leather bucket seats and my wallet in my rear pocket.

Got straightened out, was given a list of exercises and told to move the wallet. Sold the car!

It might be that something you do in another part of your routine is causing you neck to be unable to cope with what other have no issue with.

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Since posting up this_thread a few months ago, my continuing war with pressure-type pain while riding continues. On the way up from Piel Island, I was holding my helmet chin bar & pulling it away from my head for at least 1/2 of the longest leg of around 3 hrs riding (and recently I've felt pain starting after as little as 40 minutes riding). However, when we stopped at Langholm, leading up to which my forehead felt like it was in a tightening vice, once we'd pulled up, the pain disappeared & I didn't need to take the helmet off....
After discussion with a few friends (thanks Sunnybrook) realisation dawned that wind pressure could be the root cause, hence I've been looking at taller screens, and narrowed it down to either:
- MRA_Vario or
- Givi_Touring
I don't have an issue with noise really, always wear plugs no matter how short the journey, and so far haven't had any issues with buffeting, which makes me think the air flow has been directly onto my visor (possibly concentrating the pressure...?)
The MRA seems to be the best for suiting a range of riders. I'm 6', with long legs (34"), so am hoping the screen will re-direct the airflow up & over my head, which may or may not cause problems when it rains.

Anyone of a similar size advise their experiences with either?
Much gratitude, Rob.

Answer this one. My Shoei Raid pick ups wind noise off the screen quite abit and i too am looking at the MRA Vario screen but why do i not get the wind noise when i fit my black visor???????:(:(:(:( It's a poser and it's beyond me they are both genuine shoei visors

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I'd seen the Powerbronze one, but the garish colours on their site put me right off... Looks better in your pic though, Paul.
On my RD04 I have a dark tinted one.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
OK sorry ,I was in a hurry and read only the first bit .
Your just have to try every titfer on untill it feels firm but comfortable all over ,with your nut held by all the padding and not just some of it.
If it slips about like you have been experiencing it's a no-no:cool:

·
2,701 Posts
I bought an MRA vario screen second hand (50 or 60 quid) it tranformed my RD07a.:thumb:

If i broke it i would happily pay the asking price for a new one. (and everyone know's what a tight git i am :rolleyes:)

ps.
i'm six foot with short leg's, so sit quite high.

·
RetroPhrenologist
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Airwolf - that's encouraging.

·
Registered
395 Posts
i cannot imagine it is just the windblast, as another poster said, after all i ride an FMX notable for having no screen at all and wind pressure is not an issue.

In fact the only time wind pressure has been an issue is when i did over 110mph for extended periods (an hour of more) on the vfr, even then it was only a stiff neck.

Go and see an osteo

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fitted a GIVI touring screen to my 08 Transalp-the buffeting to my head was unbelievable-gave me sore head after just 10mins-changed to my other helmet(Nitro F347) and problem solved,went back to my AGV Longway and back came the prob-i did not expect to have all this hassle but touring screen is def worth it-less wind blast and spray and can easily have visor open upto 65-70mph-oh and less bugs committing suicide on visor is a big plus point!!!
Suggest trying a few other helmets and see how you get on-good luck!

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
(and everyone know's what a tight git i am :rolleyes:)
There's a queue behind me of xrv'ers nodding sagely;)

Mind you, it's only to fund his huge array of bargain bikes.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If you have the RD04 then I have a powerbronze tall screen you can have cheap.

I also find that my old Arai Tour x was crap in the wind and made loads of noise wheras my new Shoei ( same as tour x ) is miles better and doesnt give me any problems.

I have the kevlar screen now so the powerbronze is redundant

I am 6ft 3 with a 1 inch taller seat so I am up there in the clouds aswell.

I have a whisper kit if you want that aswell, it goes around the inside of the helmet to reduce noise and buffeting.

It works well enough but I got a tad claustrophobic so I removed it, others like them as they do work well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts